Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Player should be given a way to declare hostility without fleet combat  (Read 3420 times)

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile

I accepted a commission with Hegemony. Later Luddic Church became hostile with Hegemony via random event. My relationship with Hegemony will be dropped gradually because I am not hostile towards Luddic Church - I didn't even get a chance to pledge allegiance. Are we now expected to find a fleet of a specific faction every single time a faction I accepted commission from become hostile with someone else? Because that'd be a royal PITA, especially with faction mods and Nexerelin.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Player should be given a way to declare hostility without fleet combat
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 09:42:44 AM »

Related to this:

I took a Hegemony commission and went to Valhalla to track down some filthy Tri-Tach because Hegemony were openly hostile. I get to the system and get attacked by pirates. Because there are Tri-Tach bases in the system (and possibly offering a bounty), I gain 3 rep points with Tri-Tach that puts me into "Inhospitable" rather than "hostile." A few days later, I'm hit with a -5 rep to Hegemony because I'm not hostile with Tri-Tach.

I get that I'm supposed to be hostile toward the faction but as in the case above, not attacking the pirates because of a rival factions bounty (and subsequent rep improvement) doesn't make sense. I still get commission payments for killing pirates so I still want to attack them. As the OP suggests, if I accidentally move from "hostile" to "inhospitable" against a rival faction, I may have no recourse immediately and suffer a rep hit for doing my job. I know this wouldn't solve all the problems but in my particular case, dropping my rep to -55 (from -50) when I took the commission would keep me from going to "inhospitable" for the smallest favor to a rival faction.

Alternatively, if you accept a commission, perhaps -negative reputation with rival factions increases a little every few weeks or so (up to a set max of say, -60) just because rival factions hate your allegiance. I don't want a hole I can never dig myself out of but if I accept a commission, I understand what I'm getting into. I don't think having long-standing commissions should automatically boost your faction rep with the friendly faction but it would stand to reason that rival factions grow increasingly frustrated with you the longer you're allied with a given faction.

Beast2852

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 10:06:37 PM »

While I do agree that there should be a way to openly declare hostilities, I also think there are a few advantages to how it currently works. As a relatively new player (I made it to late-game once and then started a new game when the newest patch came out) I was basically forced to try and figure out some useful mechanics and features I had previously ignored and didn't really care about. I didn't have any idea on what systems the Luddic Church were in so I searched around and found the little intel map that shows you markets in every system and figured it out from there. It also pushed me to get out of the first system and explore the hyperspace more in the early game. You can also gain the initiative and pick the perfect target without them even knowing and basically do a hit and run on a massive trade convoy and then bounce until the 1 cycle war is over and your reputation goes back to suspicious.

With all that being said, it was also kind of frustrating as a (relatively) new player to just watch my reputation with the hegemony get thrown out the window because I took so long to get my bearings and a fleet i'm comfortable with before just launching myself out to hyperspace to potentially get mauled by a pack of wolves. I think maybe the rep hit should be much less punishing or the threshold of time before open hostilities can be declared be later on in the game. Or as this thread suggests maybe have a way to just click a button that says "hey guys I basically really hate you for 1 cycle so go lick an egg." I mean, you already get hostile towards the Tri-Tachyon automatically if you accept a hegemony commission anyway, so why cant you do that against everyone else later on? (unless there actually IS a way to do it, in which case I would be pretty embarrassed.)

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 06:05:49 AM »

I'm seriously hoping this is placeholder mechanic for later. It's annoying. Not impossible, though. It was almost fun learning to dodge 10 SD fleets to escape Askonia after initiating hostilities.  :p
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 02:32:38 PM »

... thinking about just making hostility automatic, though, i.e. w/o making you need to hunt down that faction's fleet. Have a commission, and the other faction is at war with yours? Hostile!

Wouldn't this possible change solve the problem? Then you don't have to hunt down the enemy factions-- your rep with them is auto adjusted to hostile, and so you keep your rep with hegemony.

And then when the hostility event is over, your reputation with the enemy faction goes back to suspicious.

And if you don't want to be hostile to various factions you shouldn't take a commission until later.