Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Naval Academy IN SPACE!  (Read 2216 times)

Bastion.Systems

• Captain
  • Special Circumstances LCU
    • View Profile
Naval Academy IN SPACE!
« on: December 03, 2015, 02:30:08 AM »

1. Put all your xp points to crew training
1. Make a fleet of passenger liners with some defensive frigates
2. load the liners full of green crew (each big one can carry whopping 7000 crew!)
3. Fight Pirates and Luddies
4. Sell veteran crew for big money
5. Profit!

Would this daring and adventurous plan work?

Camael

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Naval Academy IN SPACE!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 03:08:15 AM »

Crew-xp-rates are too low to get full liners stuffed with bunkbeds promoted to elite bunkbeds by just fighting some pirates with Your Wolf and Lasher, so probably supply- and fuel-cost would eat most of the profits or even cost You more than You can make. Never the less I always use my unused personnel-capacity to hire green crew and sell excess elites off, it's a nice steady trickle of additional income.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 03:15:31 AM »

Having a few large liners and doing this with 2000+ personnel seems profitable enough at least to recover fuel and supply cost for mid-game. Although this is a really big exploit, I think the crew shouldn't gain experience unless their ship was deployed in battle, just like how officer XP is done now.

Nimaniel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 03:28:21 AM »

It's really only an exploit if it is a more efficient way of making $$$ than the alternatives.

I haven't tried it, but given that you can easily make a quarter of a million spacebucks from a single fed-ex or for a higher tier bounty, I don't think training crew for resale is a get-rich-quick scheme.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 05:23:45 AM »

I would have done this if I had maxed Command Experience (or the skill that doubles XP when maxed) early enough.  Without points in the skill, you can train enough elites to crew your ships and replace losses, but you do not get a big surplus that you can sell more than a few times.  With double experience, you do get a surplus of elites, and you do not need as much crew for your ships thanks to the Making Do perk.

Elites are worth about eight times as much as Green crew.  Crew prices are fairly stable.  You can easily profit from human trafficking if you build for it.  I have not because more Combat and Technology skills are more fun for me.