Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 39

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 291485 times)

Originem

• Purple Principle
  • Captain
  • Dancing like a boss.
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.7.1a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #390 on: December 10, 2015, 11:21:02 PM »

The whole World is Hostile?
My mods

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 11, 2015, 01:10:42 PM »

Possible. Are there any Mastery Epoch vessel has a large missile mount? I can recall none.
What is a Mastery Epoch vessel? that's not a phrase I have seen before here.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 11, 2015, 01:19:40 PM »

What is a Mastery Epoch vessel? that's not a phrase I have seen before here.
Mastery Epoc ships are the "low-tech" ships.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 11, 2015, 04:24:29 PM »

How does that work out? I have never come across low tech ships being refered to as such in the game anywhere before.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: December 11, 2015, 05:10:13 PM »

Yeah, it's old lore from the game's former writer Ivaylo, not reflected in the game proper. I'm not sure if it can even be considered canon anymore.

Back then it was:

Mastery-epoch = low-tech
Core-epoch = midline
Expansion-epoch = high-tech

But for example the Gryphon, which is visually a midline design, is now described as being used just before the Gates collapsed, which would put it in the Expansion-epoch. I don't know if that's a mistake or if David is throwing those old concepts over board.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: December 11, 2015, 06:29:19 PM »

Spoiled because I don't think that a discussion of whether or not the tech level-Epoch equivalencies are still canonical is really appropriate for this thread.
Spoiler
Yeah, it's old lore from the game's former writer Ivaylo, not reflected in the game proper. I'm not sure if it can even be considered canon anymore.
I'd argue that it can't really be considered canon anymore. For starters, as far as I know the Mastery Epoch is no longer referenced anywhere within the game, and searching descriptions.csv for 'mastery' didn't turn anything up. Then you have the description of the Hammerhead making things somewhat blurry, as it would be redundant, though not wrong, to describe the vessel as a 'Core Epoch midline destroyer' if Core Epoch implied midline and midline implied Core Epoch. You also have the Sunder, which at least in my opinion is a midline destroyer (visual appearances match midline, armament of mixed ballistics and energy is typical of midline, though the flux capacity and dissipation is perhaps a bit on the high side for a midline ship of its armament and the defenses couple the thin armor of high tech ships with the inefficient shields of low tech ships instead of the more typical midline approach of moderately efficient shields coupled with average armor), but which is explicitly stated to be an (early) Expansion Epoch design; if the Sunder is midline, then midline very definitely cannot imply Core Epoch, though Core Epoch could still imply midline (but, of course, the Gryphon and Heron cast doubt upon that).

But for example the Gryphon, which is visually a midline design, is now described as being used just before the Gates collapsed, which would put it in the Expansion-epoch. I don't know if that's a mistake or if David is throwing those old concepts over board.
The Heron is another example of this; it is by appearances, stats, system (midline drones like the Gemini or Atlas rather than high tech drones like the Apogee, Astral, or Tempest), and armament a midline ship, but as the embodiment of a doctrinal shift which was interrupted by the Collapse it'd be somewhat odd for it to be a Core Epoch design since the Collapse ended the Expansion Epoch.

The Monitor is another ship that casts doubt upon the Epoch-tech equivalency, as it is a more-or-less midline design whose description can be read in a way that implies it to be a post-Collapse and thus post-Expansion Epoch design.
[close]
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 06:32:19 PM by Aeson »

Psilous

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: December 11, 2015, 06:57:50 PM »

for purposes of faction loyalty having all three branches of the lud count separately is killing me. That's -15 at a regular interval until you find all three branches and hit them. You would think that by attacking one the other two would become hostile with you.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: December 11, 2015, 07:04:47 PM »

for purposes of faction loyalty having all three branches of the lud count separately is killing me. That's -15 at a regular interval until you find all three branches and hit them. You would think that by attacking one the other two would become hostile with you.

Yeah, adjusting how this all works is very much a TODO item for 0.7.2a.

Psilous

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: December 11, 2015, 09:03:42 PM »

Yeah, adjusting how this all works is very much a TODO item for 0.7.2a.

Thanks man! I think you did a fantastic job bringing this dynamic in! I look forward to seeing how the tweak works. Is there a way I can turn that sub faction off within the save file? I don't think I've even interacted with the Knights...only church and path

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: December 11, 2015, 10:00:35 PM »

Spoiled because I don't think that a discussion of whether or not the tech level-Epoch equivalencies are still canonical is really appropriate for this thread.
Spoiler
I'd argue that it can't really be considered canon anymore. For starters, as far as I know the Mastery Epoch is no longer referenced anywhere within the game, and searching descriptions.csv for 'mastery' didn't turn anything up. Then you have the description of the Hammerhead making things somewhat blurry, as it would be redundant, though not wrong, to describe the vessel as a 'Core Epoch midline destroyer' if Core Epoch implied midline and midline implied Core Epoch. You also have the Sunder, which at least in my opinion is a midline destroyer (visual appearances match midline, armament of mixed ballistics and energy is typical of midline, though the flux capacity and dissipation is perhaps a bit on the high side for a midline ship of its armament and the defenses couple the thin armor of high tech ships with the inefficient shields of low tech ships instead of the more typical midline approach of moderately efficient shields coupled with average armor), but which is explicitly stated to be an (early) Expansion Epoch design; if the Sunder is midline, then midline very definitely cannot imply Core Epoch, though Core Epoch could still imply midline (but, of course, the Gryphon and Heron cast doubt upon that).

The Heron is another example of this; it is by appearances, stats, system (midline drones like the Gemini or Atlas rather than high tech drones like the Apogee, Astral, or Tempest), and armament a midline ship, but as the embodiment of a doctrinal shift which was interrupted by the Collapse it'd be somewhat odd for it to be a Core Epoch design since the Collapse ended the Expansion Epoch.

The Monitor is another ship that casts doubt upon the Epoch-tech equivalency, as it is a more-or-less midline design whose description can be read in a way that implies it to be a post-Collapse and thus post-Expansion Epoch design.
[close]

Spoiler
i thought it was core was the earliest, which roughly translates to the battleship era, then mastery, which was a shift towards the 'cruiser school' (talked about, i believe, in one of the mission briefings) and a sort of more modern-esque naval doctrine of force projection using faster, higher-tech carrier/cruiser groups, and then the expansion which was even higher-tech where a bunch of mega-engineering projects were started in the local sector. the gate collapse ended the expansion epoch because it cut everyone off. am i wrong?
[close]

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: December 12, 2015, 02:13:46 AM »

Right, I copied it over to the lore thread.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Xeroshiva1029

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: December 12, 2015, 07:09:45 AM »

Does INDUSTRY do anything yet? or am i a box of rocks that doesnt notice anything?

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: December 12, 2015, 07:58:32 AM »

I'm finding it really quite difficult to get weak pirate spawns to slaughter around the starter system.... I just cant find ANY :/
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Psilous

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: December 12, 2015, 09:04:54 AM »

Does INDUSTRY do anything yet? or am i a box of rocks that doesnt notice anything?

Doesn't do anything... there have been a few mods that use it, but they are few and far between.

BHunterSEAL

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: December 12, 2015, 09:19:51 AM »

I'm finding it really quite difficult to get weak pirate spawns to slaughter around the starter system.... I just cant find ANY :/

Try parking yourself in the asteroid field around the pirate planets/station in Corvus and switching your transponder off, preferably on the far side so the Hegemony authorities don't yell at you. Run scans intermittently and with any luck smallish pirate scout fleets (or better yet, lone pirate smugglers) should come by relatively often. The local security forces are pretty good about cleaning up pirate activity but in the hyperspace surrounding the system things are a little more spread out, check around the edges of the Deep Hyperspace.

You can also team up with Hegemony / Mercenary patrols to take on larger fleets, although bounties are proportional to your fleet's contribution to the battle (from what I can tell, on a hull damage basis).

Also watch out for medium- and large-size patrols boosting around like crazy, there's a pretty good chance they're chasing pirate fleets they can't keep up with--sometimes these are the nasty fast attack fleets with 3-4 frigates and fighters, but a lot of times they'll be 1-2 frigate scouts.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 39