Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 123

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] Diable Avionics 2.70rc3 (2023/04/13)  (Read 1275817 times)

boogiebogus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Diable Avionics 2.63RC5 (2021/09/27)
« Reply #1485 on: October 06, 2021, 02:34:46 AM »

Hello! I've been lurking on the forums for a while, and finally did a diable mono-fleet run (which is still going), so I decided to write my thoughts. While it's mostly complaints here, if I don't mention it, it's safe to assume I liked it a lot.

- As a small note, I couldn't get the virtuous because some other fleet merked it and the wreck fell into... the center of the sun, somehow. I plan on cheating it to myself once I accomplish something significant, though.
- I found recson v + artdeux to be a very hard to beat combo. I had some ships running graves + glowtusks, but they started performing a lot better once I switched over.
- I found the mostro cannon slightly iffy - shorter range, plus the back-seated mounts of the capitals... well, at least the AI handles it ok so I'll take that as a sign that this is just me.
- Lazyhorns good. Maybe even too good. As a side note, I beat the zig using a fleet of nothing but missiles and lazyhorns which was really funny.
- I couldn't really find a place for gusts or pocket gusts in my fleet comp. I'd bet they work great in mixed fleets, though.
- I tried to get calms to work... but hayles seem like straight up the better choice due to their superior mobility.
- Uhlan maelstrom is one of the most fun ships i've used. Phase grazer rocks.
- Had a hard time seeing why I should use frigates other than vapors. Sleets aren't very offensively solid and the other one without shields doesn't even get hit on the armor module much. Not to mention the other problems of a shieldless ship :p
- I don't see much of a reason to use arbitrator z. The damage output of normal arbitrators is already enough to turn an unlucky ship into paste...
- I found my fleet struggling a lot against doritos. Their weird arc PD plus their cryoflamers wrecks fighters and wanzers (the latter of which they can outrun) and they have enough flux stats to always catch any missiles headed their way without risking overload. Could probably stomp with a revised fleet but the standard saturation build doesn't work well.

That's all I could think of. Maybe more later?

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: October 06, 2021, 03:29:11 PM »

Thanks for the feedback. I think the one actionable part is the Lazyhorn, which was already under scrutiny for being a bit too good.

Space_Lettuce_OG

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: October 16, 2021, 01:25:53 AM »

Just got the Wunder Wanzer, and I've noticed, at least with the configuration I have, Brawler-Demolition it will randomly spin around a lot, when there is no need for it to do so. It constantly is exposing it's back to the enemy it's firing at, and I've no clue as to why or how to alleviate it, or if it's just a bug since the Wunder Wanzer is so new.

That being said, I *** love this thing. It looks beautiful, I like it's configuration implementation, and each configuration has a good & differing "flavor" to it.
However I would prefer not to have to attack Diable or wait ages(if ever) for Diable to get attacked and lose the ship and then I can salvage the derelict. Last playthrough I went many MANY decades, and no one ever attacked Diable , and that Wunder Wanzer was still there, floating around Sive. This playthrough Scy Nation kick Diable out of Sive pretty early on. It's kinda a luck of the draw with this thing.

Top tier work as always Tartiflette. If you keep doing top notch work like this, people will start to expect a lot from you, ever time you make a new mod. lol

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: October 16, 2021, 02:46:13 AM »

I'll look into that problem, but AI issues tend to fall outside of my hands.

In any case, thanks! It was quite a bit of work but I'm happy with the result. I don't think there would be any way to get the Virtuous without *** off DA that would make sense though.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 02:54:45 AM by Tartiflette »

Space_Lettuce_OG

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: October 16, 2021, 05:27:19 AM »

I did some more testing, using the Aleste mecha from the Armma mod, cuz one of the arm weapons is a grenade launcher as well.

It has the exact same problem as the Wunder Wanzer's grenade launcher, causing the craft to spin, to the point of turning their back to the enemy.

So, this tells me there is an AI issue with using missile bombs, like grenades. I'm guessing the AI is trying to cover a wide area, which is smart, but it doesn't understand how the arms move differently with crafts like the Aleste or Wunder Wanzer. I don't know if this is solvable from a modding standpoint, without the notifying the devs of the issue that has arisen out of the new "way of doing things" for the modding community when making mecha type ships that have arms that move independently(or semi-independently) in of the main body of the ship. The devs would probably have to add in some AI hints on this so modders can account for it.

Brainstorming here, the only other way I could imagine jury-rigging this into working, is to trick the game into thinking the grenade launcher arm "is" the main body of the ship, but still somehow maintain thrust and movement be tied to the actual main body of the ship. Sounds like a lot of work, and perhaps not even possible, so I wouldn't expect or suggest looking into it. My suggestion is to reach out to the devs about this, and ask if they can hard code an some AI hints for this new "way of doing thing" that the community has created for making mechas with arms.

This should help ya out, and save you some time. Good luck, fren!

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: October 16, 2021, 06:52:32 AM »

The issue is that the AI will try to lead the target with a grenade that technically has a very small final speed (since it slows down), but I'm testing the behavior if I tell the weapon to not lead the target at all.

Space_Lettuce_OG

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: October 16, 2021, 07:25:02 AM »

The issue is that the AI will try to lead the target with a grenade that technically has a very small final speed (since it slows down), but I'm testing the behavior if I tell the weapon to not lead the target at all.

Oh sheet, I didn't even stop to think of it being a target leading issue! Nice job troubleshooting that, pun intended.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: October 16, 2021, 08:36:49 AM »

I ran into this problem with some of my decelerating weapons, and the closest thing to a fix I found was using the 'BOMB' AI hint on the weapons - didn't fix the leading issue completely, but helped a lot.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: October 16, 2021, 08:55:03 AM »

I ran into this problem with some of my decelerating weapons, and the closest thing to a fix I found was using the 'BOMB' AI hint on the weapons - didn't fix the leading issue completely, but helped a lot.
There is a "autofireAccBonus" field in weapon_data.csv that seems to handle negative values on some weapons, but I'm not sure it works on missile-type ones.

Space_Lettuce_OG

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: October 17, 2021, 02:03:49 AM »

Okay, took me some time, but I got a good fix for the spinning around problem with the grenade launcher.

What I did is set the projectile speed to 33% of the launch speed, and set the trackingStr to "Poor" and speedStr to "Slow", and I added "DIRECT_AIM" to the hints(this hint doesn't seem to do a whole lot to help, but it did seem to help it a little bit. Could just be random luck though.), and now it's being used damn near exactly like it should be.

Not gonna lie, I thought it was gonna be a band-aid fix, but it seems to be a great fix. The slow down of the grenade projectile seems almost the same as before, strangely enough, only slightly reduced, and the aiming and spinning in a 180 problem is fixed. Perhaps not ideal, but I'd say it's a pretty great work around for the time being.

@Tartiflette Now that the grenades aren't being wasted, the grenade launcher is probably a bit more powerful than intended. Slap an expanded missile rack and a pilot with missile skill, and you have 30 grenades with 500 damage each, which is some absolutely insane burst damage for a 25 DP ship, and it's AoE to boot. This may be intended, since it's a one-of-a-kind ship, and it's not overly over powered, and lands within the realm of reasonable, but I just wanted to give you a heads up. Although, the slow reload rate probably balances the whole thing out. It'll do a lot of damage early on, but then balance out. Maybe I'm wrong about it being slightly OP under the right circumstances.

I applied the same logic as I did to the Wunder Wanzer's grenade launcher to the Aleste's grenade launcher from the Armma Armature mod, and it works great now too.

For those that are interested: A note on the Aleste's grenade launcher is that I set it to 33% projectile speed, and it wasn't quite making it to the target, so I bumped it up to 41%, and that seemed to be the sweet spot. So, basically, somewhere around 33% of launch speed, give or take 10% or so, seems to be the way to go for making grenades from grenade launchers behave properly, be aimed properly, and not cause the ship to spin around like a silly goober.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2021, 03:24:13 AM by Space_Lettuce_OG »

mora

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: October 26, 2021, 06:02:21 PM »

The hull_mods.csv has an issue where multi-line entries have a bunch of unneeded commas everywhere which show up in-game.

Szasz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: November 01, 2021, 07:37:47 AM »

I've seen a diable related error while looking for something else.

10146 [Thread-3] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.loading.WeaponSpreadsheetLoader  - Weapon spec [diableavionics_hoarHead] not found in weapon_data.csv

Maybe there's more.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: November 01, 2021, 08:45:36 AM »

This is the kind of stuff that pops up when you don't delete the mod folder before extracting a newer version.

Szasz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: November 01, 2021, 04:12:08 PM »

This is the kind of stuff that pops up when you don't delete the mod folder before extracting a newer version.
Nope, still there.
I doubt that I ever forgot to remove the old version. The red text telling us to do so is hard to miss.
Diable unrelated but there's also a 'flare' and some other system missing from ship.csv.
Are there other circumstances that might cause this kind of issue?

Shadowkiller

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: November 06, 2021, 10:40:45 PM »

I cant seem to enable this skin, says its for a different version of the game.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 123