Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 123

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] Diable Avionics 2.70rc3 (2023/04/13)  (Read 1283490 times)

YerRob

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Diable Avionics 2.70rc3 (2023/04/13)
« Reply #1770 on: May 20, 2023, 01:40:22 PM »

Can vouch that there doesn't seem to be any issue in 0.96, have been using it for days, and even tooltips seem to be working fine, despite the Tooltip API changes.

ArcticAvenger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1771 on: May 29, 2023, 02:24:28 AM »

I'll also confirm that if you change the game version, you can still use this mod.

Humbug

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: May 31, 2023, 07:52:46 AM »

Doesn't work for me, sadly. It crashes on game startup before entering the main menu. Game works fine when I disable Diable. I do have a lot of other mods that may be interfering with it however.

Tale

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1773 on: June 06, 2023, 08:12:32 AM »

Hello sire, where are you? your mods need you and we too

Meeps

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1774 on: June 16, 2023, 12:55:20 PM »

When ever it is its time would love to see this faction back again in the Sector once more!

SpaceDrake

• Admiral
  • Piloting space mecha for fun and profit(?)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1775 on: June 16, 2023, 03:13:41 PM »

When ever it is its time would love to see this faction back again in the Sector once more!

I mean, it works just fine. Humbug was probably using some of the third-party mods that try to add more Diable content. Baseline Diable works perfectly fine so long as you have MagicLib 1.1.x installed.

Your Diable is still here, just waiting to be installed.

Selfcontrol

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: June 19, 2023, 08:46:53 AM »

Ok, I need some help.

Diable Avionics is a fantastic mod. It is beautifully crafted and a lot of love was put into it.

But I'm getting demolished in early and midgame. Well, not demolished, but many fights are a very real struggle.

Idk, I feel like most of my ships are either flux-starved and can't reliably attack or the weapons themselves are somewhat very limited with a couple of exceptions. I have tried so many loadouts none of them feel satisfying or good to use. For example, on the Vapour-class, I've reached the point where I just put 1 HVD and 1 Heavy Mauler on it : it now has the range to actually harass and use its superior mobility but it doesn't need to vent every 3 seconds or expose itself because of the Diable's weapons shorter range. Overall, I tend to disregard most of the Diable weapons now ...

I know the Diable are supposed to rely on their wings and their ships' mobility but man every fight is stressful.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 09:10:58 AM by Selfcontrol »

Meeps

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: June 29, 2023, 10:52:33 PM »

I mean, it works just fine. Humbug was probably using some of the third-party mods that try to add more Diable content. Baseline Diable works perfectly fine so long as you have MagicLib 1.1.x installed.

Your Diable is still here, just waiting to be installed.

Aaah i see so are faction mods in general safe to use with 0.96a with just the version number change?

Nausk

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: June 30, 2023, 01:28:54 AM »

Aaah i see so are faction mods in general safe to use with 0.96a with just the version number change?

Some are having issues if you mouseover hullmod tooltips like VIC and Ironshell but you can still have them around if you're a little careful.

Talinoth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: June 30, 2023, 07:50:15 AM »

Ok, I need some help.

Diable Avionics is a fantastic mod. It is beautifully crafted and a lot of love was put into it.

But I'm getting demolished in early and midgame. Well, not demolished, but many fights are a very real struggle.

Idk, I feel like most of my ships are either flux-starved and can't reliably attack or the weapons themselves are somewhat very limited with a couple of exceptions. I have tried so many loadouts none of them feel satisfying or good to use. For example, on the Vapour-class, I've reached the point where I just put 1 HVD and 1 Heavy Mauler on it : it now has the range to actually harass and use its superior mobility but it doesn't need to vent every 3 seconds or expose itself because of the Diable's weapons shorter range. Overall, I tend to disregard most of the Diable weapons now ...

I know the Diable are supposed to rely on their wings and their ships' mobility but man every fight is stressful.

Know what you're going through mate - I did a full Diable playthrough in 0.95, and the early game was definitely the worst part. My advice - for the most part, ignore most Diable frigates if they're not Versants. The Versant - if you're willing and able to get good at using it - is an absolute monster VS frigates. It's a transforming 8 DP elite "frigate" that turns into a fighter craft for a speed and armour bonus (but disables the built-in Energy guns when you do) that requires you to master switching between both forms to chase, escape, and kite a variety of targets. It's a wonderfully fun little ship that deeply rewards the investment you put into mastering it while you save up for something a bit meatier.

The destroyers are decent - the Hayle class destroyers are quick, pack good firepower, and are hard to pin down. The Pocket Gust's special ability lets you commandeer one of your Wanzers and personally pilot it - which can be quite a lot of fun with one of the high level Wanzers. They've all got Burn 9, Sensor Profile 60, and can bully core trading fleets and kill pirates while staying out of the way of things you can't actually beat. You aren't going to take on cruiser-heavy fleets or fleets with capitals using just a Versant and some destroyers, but you can dance around and kill everything else. The Fractus class destroyer carriers only cost 11 DP (compare to the Drover's 14 DP or the Condor's 10 DP) allowing you to swarm the enemy with cheap Wanzers on a budget while still having better weapons and flux stats than either (though it is a bit slower than the Drover).

Cruisers are where Diable really starts to shine somewhat. The Daze is an absolute brick - with the amount of long range kinetic it can pack, flux stats, and with its ship system, it excels at "tank and spank" gameplay and is good for holding the line at a respectable 22 DP. It does tend to get run down by supership capitals like Radiants though. The Haze is 25 DP... expensive for what it does. Yes a cruiser with a flicker core is scary, but it's not worth the cost imo. The Rime (P) is an outstanding raider's marine boat, coming with an in-built Ground Support Package and 400 cargo. Diable's logistics ships really support raider/pirate/smuggler gameplay in the core worlds very well. Finally, the Gust is an outstanding stand-off cruiser with 1 Wanzer slot and a Large Mount, that excels at line-battle shootouts where it can personally support its launched Wanzer with pressure from an Uhlan Siege Laser (or a Mostro if you're on a tight OP budget?) and classic Diable mini-missile spam.

Probably the greatest ship Diable has - and generally considered one of the most ruthlessly efficient mainline ships in any Starsector mod, period - is the Maelstrom. Seemingly weak at first glance, it's a very strong performer for its 45 DP pricetag. Has a high skill floor, and an even higher skill ceiling.
The "wanna-be Radiant", the Maelstrom is incredibly hard to master for many reasons, not least of which is its weak-ish armour and flux stats, only one large mount, and long cross section which makes it hilariously vulnerable to flankers and enemy fighters. Despite its weaknesses, the ship is a monster in the right hands - meaning a captain with Helmsmanship Elite and Systems Expertise. The "Phase Grazer Core" system is the key to success - the in-built "Dampened Mounts" mod gives your ballistics extra range, allowing you to pressure from long range, giving you an opening to then flicker in and punish any weak targets. The movement speed of your ship also translates to how far you flicker - learn how to switch off your point-defense and get Helmsmanship Elite (for the zero-flux speed boost) to rapidly jump on and kill vulnerable targets. The Phase Grazer Core also allows the ship to rapidly flick around to face and kill flanking targets who think they have a drop on you, and it can also be used to get out of dangerous situations - flicker back 3 times, vent your flux, then continue to keep up the pressure on an enemy who is now high on flux and out of torpedoes! If the Phase Grazer Core wasn't scary enough, it also allows the Maelstrom to vent a large fraction of its flux - a skilled captain can dodge a Reaper salvo, drain their flux and still stay in weapons range keeping up lethal pressure. This makes Systems Expertise a mandatory skill for any captain using it. I recommend m

The Pandemonium is like the same thing, but bigger and costs a laughably expensive 75 DP. Is it stronger than a Maelstrom? Marginally, but its best use case is taking on Star Fortresses and as a slot-efficient raiding ship when looting Chico's Pristine Nanoforge. No - wherever a Pandemonium might be tempting, just use two Maelstroms. Three Maelstroms are cheaper and much more powerful than two Pandemoniums. The only reasonable use-case outside of that is a combat focused player character using it to hunt down and kill Radiants (with help), but you can just use your Gulf [edit: said 'Calm' earlier, get this one from an IBB bounty or a special Tri-Tach fleet] for that without it costing 75 DP lmao.

The wanzers are... polarising. The cheap ones like the Frost pack a surprising punch, and the Avalanche and Blizzaia hit like trucks, while the most expensive ones (when not personally piloted) leave me shaking my head. No matter how tanky they might seem, they're all still very vulnerable to uninterrupted point defense. Tartiflette clearly worked very hard to keep Diable balanced and possibly overdid it, whereas Alex himself has introduced crazy new stuff like Champions, Executors, the Invictus, doritos etc, let alone all the mods that add slightly overpowered ships. Luckily, you have two one-of-a-kind hero ships you can pick up - there's a Diable deserter using a battlecruiser that is best built as Lasher-on-steroids, potentially so lethal it can even survive a 1v1 with a Radiant, and one of the home-defense fleets of Diable's home system includes an immensely powerful and hard-to-catch destroyer with switchable abilities and switchable built-in weapons.

Some good weapons... you can't really go past Uhlan Siege Lasers (30 DP) in the late game for long range bombardment, while the Nocturne EMP Array is an outstanding Medium kinetic EMP beam that can quickly overload shields and quickly overload enemy targets, ideal for mounting on Versants and Maelstroms alike - providing critical EMP burst that can nearly one-shot frigates and wipe out PD on capitals allowing your Avalanches, Blizzaias and Frosts to get to killing. The Lazyhorn Warp Projector is very good Medium PD and pressure weapon - it has high DPS and fires flux-efficient gravity bubbles that chew up enemy fighters and missiles while also severely annoying enemy frigates. The Artassault Revolver cannon (Medium) is really good mounted on a Versant, effortlessly chewing up enemy frigates. As for small weapons... the Recson S is an 800 range kinetic weapon (nice!), but otherwise all they have going for them is point defense.

A solid faction, but one that relies heavily on both your character's combat skills in addition to good positioning. Make sure to keep testing your loadouts in the simulator - especially the Wanzers. Sometimes, a fancy looking Wanzer with a high OP cost and excessive replacement time isn't even as effective per-slot as the cheaper one with higher unit count and faster replacement time. The simulator is a good start - make sure every loadout you build can beat a vanilla ship of roughly the same DP cost. That's just the starting point - use the Combat Results mod to see which loadouts are lethal for your enemies, or your own fleet.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2023, 06:54:57 AM by Talinoth »

Ryers

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: July 11, 2023, 03:15:23 AM »

Ok, I need some help.

Know what you're going through mate - I did a full Diable playthrough in 0.95, and the early game was definitely the worst part. My advice - for the most part, ignore most Diable frigates if they're not Versants. The Versant - if you're willing and able to get good at using it - is an absolute monster VS frigates. It's a transforming 8 DP elite "frigate" that turns into a fighter craft for a speed and armour bonus (but disables the built-in Energy guns when you do) that requires you to master switching between both forms to chase, escape, and kite a variety of targets. It's a wonderfully fun little ship that deeply rewards the investment you put into mastering it while you save up for something a bit meatier.

The destroyers are decent - the Hayle class destroyers are quick, pack good firepower, and are hard to pin down. The Pocket Gust's special ability lets you commandeer one of your Wanzers and personally pilot it - which can be quite a lot of fun with one of the high level Wanzers. They've all got Burn 9, Sensor Profile 60, and can bully core trading fleets and kill pirates while staying out of the way of things you can't actually beat. You aren't going to take on cruiser-heavy fleets or fleets with capitals using just a Versant and some destroyers, but you can dance around and kill everything else. The Fractus class destroyer carriers only cost 11 DP (compare to the Drover's 14 DP or the Condor's 10 DP) allowing you to swarm the enemy with cheap Wanzers on a budget while still having better weapons and flux stats than either (though it is a bit slower than the Drover).

Cruisers are where Diable really starts to shine somewhat. The Daze is an absolute brick - with the amount of long range kinetic it can pack, flux stats, and with its ship system, it excels at "tank and spank" gameplay and is good for holding the line at a respectable 22 DP. It does tend to get run down by supership capitals like Radiants though. The Haze is 25 DP... expensive for what it does. Yes a cruiser with a flicker core is scary, but it's not worth the cost imo. The Rime (P) is an outstanding raider's marine boat, coming with an in-built Ground Support Package and 400 cargo. Diable's logistics ships really support raider/pirate/smuggler gameplay in the core worlds very well. Finally, the Gust is an outstanding stand-off cruiser with 1 Wanzer slot and a Large Mount, that excels at line-battle shootouts where it can personally support its launched Wanzer with pressure from an Uhlan Siege Laser (or a Mostro if you're on a tight OP budget?) and classic Diable mini-missile spam.

Probably the greatest ship Diable has - and generally considered one of the most ruthlessly efficient mainline ships in any Starsector mod, period - is the Maelstrom. Seemingly weak at first glance, it's a very strong performer for its 45 DP pricetag. Has a high skill floor, and an even higher skill ceiling.
The "wanna-be Radiant", the Maelstrom is incredibly hard to master for many reasons, not least of which is its weak-ish armour and flux stats, only one large mount, and long cross section which makes it hilariously vulnerable to flankers and enemy fighters. Despite its weaknesses, the ship is a monster in the right hands - meaning a captain with Helmsmanship Elite and Systems Expertise. The "Phase Grazer Core" system is the key to success - the in-built "Dampened Mounts" mod gives your ballistics extra range, allowing you to pressure from long range, giving you an opening to then flicker in and punish any weak targets. The movement speed of your ship also translates to how far you flicker - learn how to switch off your point-defense and get Helmsmanship Elite (for the zero-flux speed boost) to rapidly jump on and kill vulnerable targets. The Phase Grazer Core also allows the ship to rapidly flick around to face and kill flanking targets who think they have a drop on you, and it can also be used to get out of dangerous situations - flicker back 3 times, vent your flux, then continue to keep up the pressure on an enemy who is now high on flux and out of torpedoes! If the Phase Grazer Core wasn't scary enough, it also allows the Maelstrom to vent a large fraction of its flux - a skilled captain can dodge a Reaper salvo, drain their flux and still stay in weapons range keeping up lethal pressure. This makes Systems Expertise a mandatory skill for any captain using it. I recommend m

The Pandemonium is like the same thing, but bigger and costs a laughably expensive 75 DP. Is it stronger than a Maelstrom? Marginally, but its best use case is taking on Star Fortresses and as a slot-efficient raiding ship when looting Chico's Pristine Nanoforge. No - wherever a Pandemonium might be tempting, just use two Maelstroms. Three Maelstroms are cheaper and much more powerful than two Pandemoniums. The only reasonable use-case outside of that is a combat focused player character using it to hunt down and kill Radiants (with help), but you can just use your Calm for that without it costing 75 DP lmao.

The wanzers are... polarising. The cheap ones like the Frost pack a surprising punch, and the Avalanche and Blizzaia hit like trucks, while the most expensive ones (when not personally piloted) leave me shaking my head. No matter how tanky they might seem, they're all still very vulnerable to uninterrupted point defense. Tartiflette clearly worked very hard to keep Diable balanced and possibly overdid it, whereas Alex himself has introduced crazy new stuff like Champions, Executors, the Invictus, doritos etc, let alone all the mods that add slightly overpowered ships. Luckily, you have two one-of-a-kind hero ships you can pick up - there's a Diable deserter using a battlecruiser that is best built as Lasher-on-steroids, potentially so lethal it can even survive a 1v1 with a Radiant, and one of the home-defense fleets of Diable's home system includes an immensely powerful and hard-to-catch destroyer with switchable abilities and switchable built-in weapons.

Some good weapons... you can't really go past Uhlan Siege Lasers (30 DP) in the late game for long range bombardment, while the Nocturne EMP Array is an outstanding Medium kinetic EMP beam that can quickly overload shields and quickly overload enemy targets, ideal for mounting on Versants and Maelstroms alike - providing critical EMP burst that can nearly one-shot frigates and wipe out PD on capitals allowing your Avalanches, Blizzaias and Frosts to get to killing. The Lazyhorn Warp Projector is very good Medium PD and pressure weapon - it has high DPS and fires flux-efficient gravity bubbles that chew up enemy fighters and missiles while also severely annoying enemy frigates. The Artassault Revolver cannon (Medium) is really good mounted on a Versant, effortlessly chewing up enemy frigates. As for small weapons... the Recson S is an 800 range kinetic weapon (nice!), but otherwise all they have going for them is point defense.

A solid faction, but one that relies heavily on both your character's combat skills in addition to good positioning. Make sure to keep testing your loadouts in the simulator - especially the Wanzers. Sometimes, a fancy looking Wanzer with a high OP cost and excessive replacement time isn't even as effective per-slot as the cheaper one with higher unit count and faster replacement time. The simulator is a good start - make sure every loadout you build can beat a vanilla ship of roughly the same DP cost. That's just the starting point - use the Combat Results mod to see which loadouts are lethal for your enemies, or your own fleet.

Diable is the quintesetial 'player faction'. it realy shines under direct control

TehGanker

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1781 on: July 11, 2023, 04:01:05 AM »

Does wanzers counts as fighters ? Seems like "reserve deployment" ship system does not affect on wings(extra fighters not spawn, but system's usage executes)

Selfcontrol

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: July 12, 2023, 09:09:37 AM »

Ok, I need some help.

The Pandemonium is like the same thing, but bigger and costs a laughably expensive 75 DP. Is it stronger than a Maelstrom? Marginally, but its best use case is taking on Star Fortresses and as a slot-efficient raiding ship when looting Chico's Pristine Nanoforge. No - wherever a Pandemonium might be tempting, just use two Maelstroms. Three Maelstroms are cheaper and much more powerful than two Pandemoniums. The only reasonable use-case outside of that is a combat focused player character using it to hunt down and kill Radiants (with help), but you can just use your Gulf [edit: said 'Calm' earlier, get this one from an IBB bounty or a special Tri-Tach fleet] for that without it costing 75 DP lmao.

Holy crap ! Thanks a lot for your detailed answer !

After (painfully) getting through early midgame, yes, I agree with everything you said. The frigates are simply not good (except for the Versant-class) compared to most of vanilla frigates. Some destroyers are also of questionable utility imo (I love the Hayle and the defensive one with dampened mount, but I really don't see the point of the Calm-class (?) imo even if I found its shipsystem to be incredibly cool).

The faction really starts to shine once you reach the cruisers and frankly, I think the Maelstrom-class and the Storm-class are a bit OP. The Wanzers are simply amazing and by far the strongest Wings I have ever played with (if you saturate the ennemies' PD) to the point that many times my jaw was litteraly dropping.

It's a bit of a shame for the frigates (I really really like frigates in this game) really.

However, I still do not like quite a few weapons of the Diable and especially the Recson (both medium and small). It's the kind of weapons that forces you to get Ballistic Mastery not to improve the weapon, but to make it work.

jatzi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: July 18, 2023, 08:05:16 AM »

Surprised this hasnt been updated to 0.96 yet tbh

Dadada

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1784 on: July 18, 2023, 08:53:20 AM »

Bottom of the OP:
To whomever it may interest:
As it has become pretty obvious, this past year I for the most part moved on from modding this game. While it may be disappointing to hear I cannot promise to ever returning to the debit of frequent updates I once held. I however do not want to let this mod die. Thus in the case I have yet to show up 3 months after the next major game release, anyone is free to update Diable Avionics and/or change it however they want.

In the meantime, Diable Avionics's code can freely be re-used by anyone and the sprites can freely be kitbashed from without asking with 3 conditions: It must be for a Starsector mod, that mod must have a similarly permissive license, and both Flash-Frozen and myself are credited.

So... 0.96 launched the first days of May if I am not mistaken...
Pages: 1 ... 117 118 [119] 120 121 ... 123