Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mod Request - Minimap  (Read 3905 times)

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
Mod Request - Minimap
« on: February 20, 2012, 11:43:12 AM »

So, I am pretty sure I share the sentiments of many when I say that I wish we had a minimap in deep space! While the map brought up with tab is nice, it pauses the game when you have to bring it up. I am not very good at navigating, and also like to keep tabs on the little Pirate patrols that I can attack, so I use the map a lot.

Since the next version of Starfarer may be a while off and may not include a minimap, I was wondering if someone could mod a semi-transparent map into the corner of the screen. My idea was that it might be the entire star system map, but if that is too compressed, maybe a quarter of the map. Also, if there was a little box on it showing what you are viewing, that would be awesome.

I understand this may probably will be a headache to mod, but if someone is up for the challenge and knows their stuff, this request is to you!
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012

Deus

• Ensign
  • Proud Mac User
    • View Profile
Re: Mod Request - Minimap
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 11:54:58 AM »

Nice suggestion, would love to see this go through, has my support and I would definitely download it if made

Paul

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 12:20:50 PM »

Not sure if this is actually possible at the moment. Or at least I don't see a way to edit the UI functionality.

Monstacoco

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 12:53:41 PM »

I'm pretty sure i think i read Alex say he was going to implement something like this in a future version

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 01:02:59 PM »

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=206.0

Have a read through this thread /\

Explains the reasons why we are where we are, a little bit of pontification on the merits of the mini-map - and ultimately why it is not implemented. I also don't think this is currently something open to modders on a simple level.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 03:28:35 PM »

Thank you for pointing me to that thread, but I do not agree with the proposed solution. In the battle, it is hard to pay attention to the edges of the screen, except at the bottom where vital stats are. I would love to have a small corner minimap, and your proposed solution, Mendonca, is the kind of solution I want. I would rather have the radar strip ships be smaller, actually. I feel that the little ships on the edge of the screen distract me from the battle at hand, and I would rather have the information in a minimap. Also, on the topic of the radar strip, I would love it if there was a little text displayed (like "Hit", or something) when you hit an offscreen enemy with a missile. As it is, I think a large battle has a little too much "noise", and could use from a toning down of glow effects.
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012