Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: New music for Galatia Academy (06/12/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: [0.97a-RC11] Exotica Technologies: Kaysaar's Toolbox Theory Edition  (Read 28462 times)

Shogouki

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.97a-RC11] Exotica Technologies: Kaysaar's Toolbox Theory Edition
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2024, 07:32:59 PM »

Quick question for anyone with extensive knowledge in playing with ET: What's a good way to farm for pure exotics? So far my best option I've seen is taking on one [redacted] fleet at a time with the hope the ships carrying the exotic can be recovered. Problem with this strategy is that it requires automated ships skill just so you can recover them, and hoping you get it from salvage is much rarer than hoping you can recover the ship carrying it.

Far as I've seen, hopping between colonies visiting exotic stores hasn't proved very effective for this either. Plenty of standard exotics to find with the occasional corrupted variant, but very rarely do I come across guerilla variants and I've not once seen a pure one.

In the current version it's pretty difficult as pure exotics don't drop often and depending on which ones you're looking for they may not be available for purchase.  I know I've seen a couple types of pure ones for sale but I think it was only the Hyperspec and whatever the one is that doubles the effect of your points in flux capacity and vents.  Which ones are you looking for and what kind of variants?

The exotic that increases the effect of flux capacitor and vent points is the Plasma Flux Catalyst.

Funnily enough, that's primarily what I'm looking for. In general, however, I was looking for pure variants of all exotics.

Interestingly enough the Plasma Flux Catalyst is actually one of the few that I see for sale that can be pure.  I think that one and the Hyperspec are the only ones I've seen for sale as pure.

PieceOfGood

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2024, 07:04:26 AM »

To increase the frequency of exotics encountered, you can do the following as a temporary measure:
  * Go to the path "Starsector\mods\Exotica-Technologies\data\config\exoticaFactionConfig"
  * Open the file in a text editor, notepad will do
  * If the config contains the line "exoticChance": 1.0 - increase its value to 3.0 or even 4.0
  * Save changes
Do this for all files except "independent.json", it does not have this setting. After you start playing, after a while you will begin to come across fleets that are more equipped with exotics. If I understand correctly, the change in settings will only take effect for newly appeared fleets.

I initially set everything to 1.0, but didn't notice a difference. Then I installed 3.0 and now I see that exotics are again popular in the sector.

You shouldn't bet too much either. Abundance quickly becomes boring because there is no further growth.

Enjoy.

Shogouki

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2024, 02:56:50 PM »

To increase the frequency of exotics encountered, you can do the following as a temporary measure:
  * Go to the path "Starsector\mods\Exotica-Technologies\data\config\exoticaFactionConfig"
  * If the config contains the line "exoticChance": 1.0 - increase its value to 3.0 or even 4.0
  * Save changes
Do this for all files except "independent.json", it does not have this setting. After you start playing, after a while you will begin to come across fleets that are more equipped with exotics. If I understand correctly, the change in settings will only take effect for newly appeared fleets.

I initially set everything to 1.0, but didn't notice a difference. Then I installed 3.0 and now I see that exotics are again popular in the sector.

You shouldn't bet too much either. Abundance quickly becomes boring because there is no further growth.

Enjoy.

Oh nice, thanks!  I figured it probably would be easy to change if you knew where to look but until now I didn't.

Do you know if it would be easy to lower the chances of recovering exotics?  I don't want it to be easy to get bunches of the rare ones but at the same time I like having opponents that frequently have powerful exotics for more challenge.  So I thought it might be interesting to increase how frequently you encounter them but counter that by lowering the recovery chances.

PieceOfGood

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2024, 10:42:44 PM »

The only way I know of is to not try to restore ships with exotics. I know it's tempting, but you can make a simple plan for yourself by opening your exotics inventory and figuring out the modules you need most. If there are any, then make it a rule that you will try to get only one such module per gaming session, and simply ignore the rest.

It would be great if Kaysaar later added a little role-playing component to the process of obtaining and using exotics. Like, for example, I mentioned this in the previous discussion(here and here). This would avoid the "cut/paste" mechanics, in which you only need to "catch" the bearer of the desired rarity in order to transfer it to your ship, turning the idea itself into a step-by-step process that requires sufficient persistence.

I'm leaving this here in the hope that this idea will at least be considered.

Shogouki

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2024, 01:56:38 PM »

I know that on the last beta build under PMD there was something about crafting mentioned but I didn't see any explanation on what exactly that meant.  Would be interesting if you could somehow craft some of the rarer ones with hefty resource requirements.

Pizzarugi

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2024, 04:29:38 PM »

* Save changes

Enjoy.

Yeah I did that the same day I asked the question as I had already tweaked those same files to remove non-exclusive upgrades from all factions. In hindsight, I could've just tweaked the upgrade chance to 0 instead.

I wasn't necessarily wanting exotics by the truckload as I found buying them from planets was sufficient if I was after the standard variants. What I wanted was to have a better way of farming for the "pure" variant which is much more powerful as a result of my tweaking stats in the mod. Trouble with farming pure exotics is that they're gated behind 3 layers of RNG: First being exotics spawning on a ship at all. Second layer is whether that exotic will become pure. Third layer is if you're lucky to not destroy the ship carrying it.

While there is nothing I can do about the RNG of exotics becoming pure or a ship getting destroyed, being able to tweak the spawn rates of exotics has done a great deal in mitigating the first layer of RNG. Pure exotics are still annoyingly rare to find.

PieceOfGood

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2024, 10:21:13 PM »

I know that on the last beta build under PMD there was something about crafting mentioned but I didn't see any explanation on what exactly that meant.  Would be interesting if you could somehow craft some of the rarer ones with hefty resource requirements.

In the latest release of PMD, tabs appeared in the exotics interface, general, on which default features and “Craft” appeared. It looked unfinished, but it worked something like this: if you have any exotic module that is not of standard quality, then you could turn it into absolutely any other exotic module of similar quality, while additionally spending a standard module of the type you want to turn the source into.

For example, if you want to make a rocket forge of green quality, then you need to have a green module of any type + a rocket forge of normal quality.

Several new upgrades with new mechanics have also been added. Overall, if PMD hadn't been so short-sighted, I think it would have been a pretty interesting experience.

* Go to the ...

Yeah I did that the same day I asked the question as I had already tweaked those same files to remove non-exclusive upgrades from all factions. In hindsight, I could've just tweaked the upgrade chance to 0 instead.

I wasn't necessarily wanting exotics by the truckload as I found buying them from planets was sufficient if I was after the standard variants. What I wanted was to have a better way of farming for the "pure" variant which is much more powerful as a result of my tweaking stats in the mod. Trouble with farming pure exotics is that they're gated behind 3 layers of RNG: First being exotics spawning on a ship at all. Second layer is whether that exotic will become pure. Third layer is if you're lucky to not destroy the ship carrying it.

While there is nothing I can do about the RNG of exotics becoming pure or a ship getting destroyed, being able to tweak the spawn rates of exotics has done a great deal in mitigating the first layer of RNG. Pure exotics are still annoyingly rare to find.

Guyz, we are on the same list of sufferers as everyone else who is addicted to his work, and he is only one. We wish Kaysaar time and inspiration for all his endeavors. One day, this patience will be rewarded.

Rzabat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2024, 05:56:02 AM »

How do you use the drive flux vent? Im not sure which button to use.

Shogouki

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2024, 04:49:51 PM »

I believe the left Alt key.

Pizzarugi

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2024, 07:04:33 AM »

I believe the left Alt key.

Actually, the key changes depending on what other exotics you may have installed. For example, if you don't have Spooled Feeders, the Drive Flux Vent key will be 'b' and then switch to 'left alt' when you get it. It's weird.

Rzabat, just a heads up: You can't use the Drive Flux Vent ability until you have at least 20% flux I believe.

Shogouki

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2024, 02:51:29 PM »

Ahh, good to know!
Pages: 1 2 [3]