Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Your favorite faction  (Read 18467 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Your favorite faction
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2015, 10:09:33 AM »

After reading the updated lore for missions, Persean League seems more like a mafia-like cabal, not the sympathetic Rebels from Star Wars against the (Hegemony) Empire.

harrumph

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2015, 10:47:52 AM »

After reading the updated lore for missions, Persean League seems more like a mafia-like cabal, not the sympathetic Rebels from Star Wars against the (Hegemony) Empire.
Seems to me kind of like the Delian League (perhaps without a single member as dominant as Athens), with the Hegemony playing the role of the Persians, or maybe the Spartans, depending on your perspective. Also a little bit like the Hanseatic League, perhaps?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2015, 11:02:06 AM »

I see the Domain as Starsector's ancient Roman Empire, and the Hegemony is trying to keep it alive.  In other words, the Hegemony is the Domain (or trying to be) in the sector.

Bankstercide

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2015, 04:18:57 PM »

I'd give Diktat my vote, even though it's not very fleshed out like Hegemony and TT.  It's got a great location, sandwiched between the other factions and its sole system has conveniently located portals.  Problem is that there are few missions and is difficult to gain faction rep with.

TT deserves mention due to their complete lack of illegal goods.  Too bad they don't make said illegal goods.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2015, 04:20:51 PM »

Tri-Tachyon can sell drugs and organs (which are illegal for most other factions) on their open market.  I do not find very many, but they can sell them.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 04:25:05 PM by Megas »

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2015, 04:56:34 PM »

the manufacturing in general is a little weird.

it seems like the things the pirates should produce (drugs, organs) are instead produced by independents. the only real source of organs i could find are in nomios, actually. but maybe that's just me not looking hard enough.

it feels like each faction should produce certain things, based on their theme

hegemony: domain starship weapons, supplies in large numbers, starship fuel, heavy machinery (due to autofactories on jangala) experienced crew (due to strong naval tradition)

TT: heavy/exotic energy weaponry, TT ships, crew, high tech equipment (not really represented; heavy machinery sort of counts but less 'industrial') volatiles due to mimir.

pirates: drugs, organs, really the pirate domain considering their wide illegality and high profitability

indies: indies are too wide IMO, it feels like 90% of the sector are "independent" even though they have almost nothing in common. everyone that isn't explicitly someone else just gets jammed in indie. that said, probably ore/rare ore, volatiles and other "raw materials" indies as miners, minor trade syndicates and freeworlds it seems reasonable.

ludd: food, there should probably also be something else; trade goods seem a little sparse IMO.

syndrian: honestly not sure. they need more lore behind them before i could tell you. they seem like a pretty standard military dictatorship at the moment.

on hand weapons i'm not sure. probably everyone because it seems like something everyone would have to manufacture for themselves, while also being necessary.

Abradolf Lincler

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2015, 06:53:38 PM »

How about we go back to people's favorite factions, this thread got Extremely off topic...

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2015, 06:56:05 PM »

syndrian: honestly not sure. they need more lore behind them before i could tell you. they seem like a pretty standard military dictatorship at the moment.
Sindria is a major fuel producer, and Volturn has organized crime.  Given their current lore and markets, let the Diktat sell fuel (and hand guns for those with military access) legally, and for those who go underground, offer drugs, organs, and more guns.

I buy organs from the Black Markets at Sindria or Volturn, which sell organs buy the hundreds when I check.  Often around 900 credits per unit (and no tariffs!), and missions usually offer 2000+ per unit.  Since Diktat is Vengeful with me, their Black Market investigations cannot hurt me.

Bankstercide

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2015, 07:14:56 PM »

the manufacturing in general is a little weird.

it seems like the things the pirates should produce (drugs, organs) are instead produced by independents. the only real source of organs i could find are in nomios, actually. but maybe that's just me not looking hard enough.

Agreed - Pirates should SUPPLY prohibited goods, while the non-Pirate Black Markets should provide demand for that faction's prohibited goods.  That's how it worked during the Prohibition and War on Drugs.  Pirates shouldn't bother wasting their time with resource extraction or processing.  As a faction that produces little on its own, Pirates would demand essentials and finished goods like Food, Fuel, Supplies, Hand Weapons, Consumer Goods, Luxuries and Legbrea- I mean, Marines.

Speaking of which, why is there even a Open Market for a Pirate settlement?  Isn't it a Black Market by definition?  In fact, that might be the chief difference between Pirates and Independents; if Pirates only have a Black Market, you can't gain rep by trading there, while you can with Independents.

As for Hegemony, it's a mixed bag; on the one hand, they are a heavily militarized faction, but on the other hand, they are also very authoritarian and are less willing to let other people play with their toys.  What that would mean in game terms is that they produce many weapons and warships on the Black Market, but you can't buy the good stuff legitimately until you've enough rep with them, aka Hegemony Military.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 07:17:08 PM by Bankstercide »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]