Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Your favorite faction  (Read 18401 times)

Andrius227

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Your favorite faction
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2015, 10:51:01 AM »

I love Tri-Tachyon. Their ships are much more advanced. Even at the start of the game, when i only have a single Wolf, i can easly destroy much bigger Hegemony/Pirate fleets. And my favourite ship in the entire game is Medusa. When i get it, i become a god.

TheDTYP

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2015, 01:09:52 PM »

Have fun blowing up the Knights of Ludd who have scrabbled together everything they can to defend the peace-loving people who have risen up against their Persean-backed oppressors.

Well... this is awkward

SpacePoliticianAndaZealot

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2015, 01:25:17 PM »

Have fun blowing up the Knights of Ludd who have scrabbled together everything they can to defend the peace-loving people who have risen up against their Persean-backed oppressors.

Well... this is awkward
Don't feed the hippies.

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2015, 01:33:54 AM »

This right here is a lengthy topic to cover, most of the factions are shades of gray( or grey if you're not from USA) And have at least one redeeming thing to them,

The Hegemony might be a militaristic, way overly aggressive administration but it also does a lot of good, it provides incredible amounts of stability, and regularly obliterates pirates who would otherwise harm,maim, or kill civilians and other factions. And to us that may not seem like much, but until the 14th battlegroup showed up the sector was basically more lawless than the wild west in the USA.

The Church of the Ludd can be a bit harsh at times ( see CULT of the Ludd) but generally they just make food, and other basic commodities. Think of them as space Amish. And it's not like they want you to die constantly, ( again see CULT of the Ludd for that)

The Tachyons are a giant space wal-mart, they care little for humanity, they just want their money and for their company to remain solvent. The military is run more like our modern day military with a chain of command with the top being the Director of War. The military side is probably kept separate from the side that researches tech and what not. However the Tri Tach does still keep the peace around it's systems so there is the stability and safety that provides for the common man.

The independants are just that, although presented as one faction in game, each world is technically independent of each other as well.

The pirates are well, pirates and not the fun, Jack sparrow kind ( well some of them might be) But the actual pirate kind; killing, pillaging, and kidnapping as they please. ( and then being blown up by us or the hegemony)

I actually know very little about the sindrian diktat, a lot of people seem to compare them to nazis IF this is truly the case then count me out of space nazi town.

So what group do i throw in my lot with? Well usually i go with the tri tach ( i too love me some high tech ships with lasers) But i can see the good the hegemony does and if i was actually in the sector I'd probably sign up the hegemony military, or at least live on a core world/station.
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2015, 03:04:03 AM »

I actually know very little about the sindrian diktat, a lot of people seem to compare them to nazis IF this is truly the case then count me out of space nazi town.

That said, the scariest part of the Nazis is that they were trying to achieve what most countries wanted at the same time in history (especially the US). They just took it way way way way too far with the industrialised slaughter.

Peace time Nazis are a thing to behold, but holy *** war time Nazis made the word Nazi what it is today.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2015, 03:35:28 AM »

Uh, this is not really the place to further discuss Nazis.

I find the comparison between Nazism and the Diktat highly doubtful anyway. What is it based on? Just the label "Military Dictatorship"? The Hegemony is that, too.

Quoting myself about what we know about its origins:

"The Askonia Crisis was a civil war, but we don't know much about the factions involved. The Askonian Revolutionary Council (part of the the Antis movement, whatever that is exactly) could have been involved, but it could also have been founded post-crisis. In any case, someone seems to have used a planetary killer device to blow up the capital-city-moon Opis. You can see its debris ring orbiting Salus.
Then either the Hegemony send an intervention task force under Admiral Andrada, or the Admiral took a force there without orders, but in any case he betrayed the Hegemony and founded the Sindrian Diktat. What the nature of that intervention would have been, if it was ordered, is not clear. Knowing the Hegemony it could have been to exterminate, not to help. So, maybe Andrada took pity on the system and could be considered its savior?"

If a system is so deep in civil war that the capital gets blow up, maybe a benevolent military dictatorship is just what it needs?

I'm looking forward to learn more about the backgrounds in future releases :)

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2015, 04:07:18 AM »

Really depends on what person this Admiral Andrada is. Dictatorship, you know. and makes me wonder what kind of relationship Hegemony and Diktat is in. Not outright hostile it seems, but current rep between factions are only Friendly - Neutral - Hostile so... can't guess further than that.

Hegemony is, as they exclaim, a temporary politics until the sector reunite with the Domain, or, in worse case, to reconstruct Domain... right?

I see that the Tri-Tachyon seeks maximum profit. But does this 'maximum' mean short-term or long-term(sustainable Sector state)? If latter, they too are a faction worth following.

Church is not thoroughly anti-tech it seems, with many of its followers misinterpret its teaching. Over-reliance to technology is a problem. Reliance to it is not. Especially when most of the population live on artificially modified environment(airtight habitat, space station, stellar shade, etc).
Luddic Path? Dangerous fanatics. Reasons above.

I'd rater be friendly with all 4 majors, but now it is not an option. Not really a pacifist, tho, just all those deep lores makes me hard to choose one.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 05:35:19 AM by Aron0621 »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2015, 06:02:14 AM »

For me, all of the toys and access to markets make it hard to choose a major faction, or at least Hegemony and Tri-Tachyon.

Hegemony has the most markets (more places to find stuff, more missions to sell organs to), and they have good ships.

Tri-Tachyon is the high-tech faction, or least they do not water down their market with (too much) ubiquitous low-tech.  Good place to get heavy blasters and high-tech ships.

The rest are Hegemony wannabes with less markets and ships.  They do not even have elite variants.

I like a mix of tech levels, because high-tech has the best frigates and flagships (except cruisers).  Low-tech has Dominator (the best brawling cruiser) and other big ballistic killers (Enforcer and Onslaught).

harrumph

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2015, 07:06:56 AM »

Not sure where people got the idea that the Diktat are space-Nazis. I think they're the only major faction that hasn't committed (or at least attempted) planet-wide genocide in recent history—at least according to what little lore we have. Maybe they just don't have enough planets to go around torching them willy-nilly.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2015, 07:40:24 AM »

Probably reading the faction description and the fine print of the description below market info.  Traders processed like an assembly line, the holograms (i.e., illusionary statues) of the founding Admiral are prominent.  Compare behavior of the Diktat leader to behavior of real-life dictators of the past and present.

harrumph

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2015, 07:47:17 AM »

Sure, but dictator ? Nazi. Dictators still run half the planet in the real world, and while most of them are bad, few (if any) of them are Nazi-bad.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2015, 08:40:45 AM »

Real-life dictators that get less publicity than more infamous ones simply means the public at large are less aware or do not know of any depravity the tyrants may be guilty of.  Broadcast news does not (and will not) cover everything you need to know, especially if they have an agenda.

As for Diktats, the Admiral as shown screams tyrant.

TheDTYP

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2015, 08:49:09 AM »

I'm getting the "evil dictatorship" vibe of the Diktat from Cruors description, in which huge, brutal labor camps are run by the Diktat

harrumph

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2015, 09:57:12 AM »

The Diktat is definitely a dictatorship—I'm not arguing that. A scary dictatorship ruled by a megalomaniac! But all of the major factions (barring the Persean League, who aren't in the campaign yet) are dictatorships. The Hegemony has a sort of Potemkin system of civilian democracy, but it's subordinate to a military dictatorship using a perpetual state of emergency to maintain power. The Church is simply a theocratic dictatorship. Tri-Tachyon is effectively a corporate dictatorship.

Real-life dictators that get less publicity than more infamous ones simply means the public at large are less aware or do not know of any depravity the tyrants may be guilty of.  Broadcast news does not (and will not) cover everything you need to know, especially if they have an agenda.

This probably isn't the right thread for this conversation, but . . .
Spoiler
Again, there are a lot of different types of dictatorship. Jordan is a very stable dictatorship (nominally a constitutional monarchy, but the king has enormous power) with a very good human-rights record. North Korea is a completely totalitarian hellhole. Nazarbayev, the ruler of Kazakhstan, is merely a corrupt, greedy crook; al-Bashir, the leader of Sudan, is a genocidal maniac. We shouldn't lump them all in together. I also don't think it's reasonable to suggest that, in an age of social media and easy peer-to-peer communication, anybody is able to hide evidence of Nazi-style atrocities for long, with or without the complicity of the media.

(In fact, I think that what the Nazis did—in terms of its scale, its purposefulness, its thorough organization—has only one real counterpart in modern history, that being the reign of the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia. What happened in Sudan, in Bosnia, in Rwanda, etc. is absolutely horrifying, but those atrocities are a lot less aberrant in the context of human history than we'd like to admit. But that's definitely a topic for a different thread.)
[close]

Oh and to actually go on-topic for a change: I definitely tilt towards the Hegemony. Looking forward to seeing the Persean League, though!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 09:58:55 AM by harrumph »

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2015, 10:02:19 AM »

The Interstellar Imperium was a dictatorial republic but is now, due to being fractured after the collapse, a fascist dictatorship.  No cultural purges though; it's generally a nice place to live, if you're patrotic and law-abiding (and terrible otherwise).

The Templars, well, are an extremely militant religious organization with excellent upward mobility but extremely strict rules, harsh punishments, and dangerous jobs.  The concept of "civilian" is at best an academic concept to them, at worst a form of sloth to be punished.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4