Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bunch of suggestions  (Read 1421 times)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Bunch of suggestions
« on: November 25, 2015, 01:23:17 PM »

Firstly, I think that as the idea of fighters being weapons holds nicely I thought of something else: how to encourage people to use carriers as flagships? If they can't be combat-oriented ship that means they would have to have some other mechanic to be useful. That leaves us commanding, which is, as of now, less interesting option, since you can give 3 to 13 orders in a battle, the less you care about it the less you invest there the less you can. Besides enhancing leadership tree (which is another question entirely) you can make it more viable. For example, by making orders free under specific conditions, like having some high-strength battle communicators hullmod mounted on carriers and the ship on receiving end being in certain distance to a flagship. That would give 3 things: make being commanding commander more viable, make fighters act like a weapons (because weapons have a feature that basically is "they strike where you point") AND it would give an edge for certain ships (I'm thinking of Condor, Venture, Conquest, Odyssey). I think it would be best for such comms to be either built-in or as an 5/10 Advanced Tactics hullmod. For even more restrictions, make it work like a weapon, limiting it to "free ordering" to one ship and with some cooldown when linking with another ship.
Secondly, give some indication of incoming warp hyperspace storm so a player can manipulate fleets to trap them in there. :P As fas as I know, they have no "foreshadowing", they just happen.
Last thing is too complicated for Alex's taste, probably, but I'll post it anyway: instead of (D) variants give ships a condition stat that would be restored by metal (for all ships), heavy machinery (Core, Expansion) and rare metals (only Expansion) and past certain threshold(s) down the line a ship would get those flaw hullmods. Though the more I think about it, the worse it sounds (most importantly, it would be hard to balance so as not to make it either "too important", "barely noticable" and "CR #2").

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Bunch of suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 01:36:51 PM »

Secondly, give some indication of incoming warp hyperspace storm so a player can manipulate fleets to trap them in there. :P As fas as I know, they have no "foreshadowing", they just happen.

(Just a super quick note: the deep hyperspace cells glow brightly for something like 5-10 seconds before a storm breaks out there.)

Abradolf Lincler

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 02:18:11 PM »

(Just a super quick note: the deep hyperspace cells glow brightly for something like 5-10 seconds before a storm breaks out there.)

Yeah, I love love to just fly through deep hyperspace dodging and weaving through storms, great for losing tails and getting places QUICK, I almost never get caught in one anymore.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 12:10:47 PM »

If we're doing random suggestions not really worth thier own thread, I'd like to throw in:

Longer ship names.
I always seem to end up wanting to give my larger ships Culture names, but most of them don't fit in the 20 char. box. Congential Optimist is the longest one I tried that fits.
(I haven't tried them all )
Also I wanted to call my SO Enforcer the Screaming Sword of Allah, but....  :(

Fetch Quests.
Someone mentioned before about having something on the HUD about active missions and thier time remaining.
This is a good idea.
Also would be nice if your mission contacts (the people you talk to in order to complete the missions) are highlighted in the comms panel so it's easy to see there's someone you need to talk to here.

Transponder Status.
There really does need to be some form of very obvious positive feedback telling you when you have your transponder off in a place you're expected to have it on.
It is so very easy to turn it off and forget about it then get dinged by patrols and have a chunk of your rep vanish.
Have the transponder button on the bar pulse red?
Have the player fleet circle/boundary thing turn red?
That sort of thing.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 10:59:21 PM by Serenitis »