Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Lucky, experienced, or both? (+teeny tiny PSA)  (Read 1107 times)

SpacePoliticianAndaZealot

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
Lucky, experienced, or both? (+teeny tiny PSA)
« on: November 25, 2015, 09:26:25 AM »

Geez, I wonder what could have caused a trade disruption all of the sudden? Our brave patrols (consisting of one Paragon, an Astral in the other, and one more detachment w/both) have been valiantly cleansing the Guayota ring for weeks! No lone wolf could have passed through us - we are truly perplexed!

So, I have decided to fire up Iron mode campaign to see how far can I go with one SO Wolf. Took the heavy blaster, removed the PD lazorz for one Ion Cannon, and downgraded the Harpoon racks to a single missile.

200-ish minutes later, my Autosave mod notifies me that I have fought over 60 battles. My character is lvl 16, has 7 in Ordnance Expertise, 6 in Target analysis, 7 in Helmanship, and 3 in Technology aptitude and the OP skills (among a few others).
My current loadout: 10 Vents, 3 Capacitors, SO, Hardened Subsystems, Armored Mounts, a Pulse Laser, an Ion cannon, and two single Harpoons - no weapon flux build-up whatsoever!

I am chums with Hedgy now, there have been quite some investigations already, but am still Neutraly w/ everyone else (except TT)

My (unofficial) bodycount:
Spoiler
1 Wasp wing
3 Broadsword wings
1 Hammerhead
1 Sunder(D)
Innumerable amounts of Hounds, Lashers, Cerberi and more, mostly Pirates and Luddic Path.
One Afflictor (tee hee  :D)
Mercuries, Hermeses, Buffalos, Mudskippers and Nebulae
[close]

Hardest engagement so far:
Spoiler
Assisting a Cult of Lud trade fleet disengage from a TT patrol. Three of their Wolves kept me pinned down w/ their Salamanders, and I have thought I won't make it.
Alas, everyone got away (10 Mercuries and Hermeses and a CGR Wolf) except a stubborn little Luddic Lasher.
I have learned how to negate the Salamanders w/o PD pretty well, and overall the pursuit was gut-wrenching indeed  8)
[close]

Currently I am sitting on an Asteroid in Magec system (as shown above) watching magnificent Astrals and Paragons pass by, when a question comes to mind:

I have noticed quite a few people stating that the early game is incredibly hard, especially with those LP ships flying around and the most likely candidates to spitroast the player. The largest LP fleet I have encountered were three Kites and a Hound, which I have beaten relatively easy - I did feel that was very close to the boundaries of what I could take on, however - If those Kites had Swarmers in both slots, it would have gotten quite bumpy.

Taking into account that I was "pinging around" a lot accross the Sector (notably in Eos), and never having drawn something noticeably big towards me, I have to ask - did I have a lucky streak, or have I become proficient with managing the sensors and twitching my way to victory?

PSA
Spoiler
Luddic Path fleets spawn only on Ceyx  ;D
[close]