Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Do we have a better/more detailed map than what we can find in the intel?  (Read 2657 times)

sycspysycspy

• Commander
  • Translator of the Council of AL
    • View Profile

At least indicate every market and faction activities in the systems. Sometimes I lost in the space travel and find I am in some system where no station is willing to sell supplies ...
Please report any translation error to me with PM.
- I just went over to my bank account and figured out I can live comfortably without working for the rest of my life as long as I die on next Tuesday.

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Do we have a better/more detailed map than what we can find in the intel?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 08:30:54 PM »

Since supplies are nearly always needed somewhere there is nearly always a tab for them in the price heading. One thing you can do is to hover your mouse over the star system you want to go, and see if the friendly markets are having supply shortages. It also tells you how many are for sale if you don't care about the price.
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 08:34:07 PM »

Also: if you hover over the star on the intel map, you'll get a tooltip with a summary of the markets in the system.

Sordid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 10:59:21 PM »

What I want is a map that will show me where the planets are in a system before I warp into it. Currently when I'm bounty hunting someone hiding at a remote planet that doesn't have its own hyperspace exit, I save, warp into the system, look at where the planet is, load, and take the closest exit. Which is bollocks. Planet positions can be easily predicted for billions of years into the future even with today's technology, there's no reason why a starship captain wouldn't have a map that would show them to him.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 12:01:23 AM »

I do the same thing, but not everyone does. Some people prefer the flavour of figuring it out, learning it organically and maybe getting sidetracked once or twice as a reward. Not everybody 'snipes' bounties, though it makes for good money shovelling in endgame. The trouble right now is that jump points are not orbiting along with the other stellar bodies, but many of them are fixed. So you're given more incentive to save-scum.

Sordid

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 12:07:57 AM »

Um, you can't learn the planet positions. They move.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 12:15:26 AM »

Um, you can't learn the planet positions. They move.

Indeed.  It's also not going to be a viable solution when the game is more developed, since IIRC we're looking at a large, somewhat procedurally generated sector.  You aren't memorizing that on an ordinary playthrough, and jumping through the wrong hole to find yourself an extra month out sucks pretty hard.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 12:42:30 AM »

Yes, but there are some groups of stellar objects in relatively close proximity within a system, not all of which are obvious by looking at the name of the hyperspace point. I.e. gas giants having sub-orbits, moons etc.

Some kind of hint, like solar system maps overlayed in hyperspace, would be pretty useful regardless.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2015, 03:27:58 AM »

Suggested this long ago.
Something simple list Elite's (FE2/FFE/ED) system map would be sufficient for knowing which planet a given moon is in orbit of.
Though you'd need something more complicated to express the actual orbital positions.

Ideally this info should be available at all times, so you can determine the viability of a highly time sensitive mission ahead of time. (So it shouldn't be provided as a tooltip available only when near the star system)

Nimaniel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2015, 03:52:43 AM »

I'm not sure if I think the inability to know the current position of various destination inside a star system is a feature, or lack of. In some ways it is similar to the price information system we have at the moment. Currently both scenarios are a bit off-putting, in the sense that it would seem logical to have far better information at a tech level where we are capable of travelling through hyperspace, going from one sun to another in a matter of days. The real question is if it adds to gameplay.

Anyway..

While everything orbits the suns, it is still possible to learn some shortcuts. Take Valhalla system as an example:
Valkyrie Jump => Glasnir (Independent)
Yggdrasil => Ratatosk + Raesvelg (Heg)
Ragnar Jump => Ragnar Complex (Heg)
Niflheim => Skathi + Mimir (TT)

Why? Because Ratatosk and Raesvelg orbits Yggdrasil, and Yggdrasil is not a sun, so it is a safe exit from hyperspace. Etc. etc.

Using the method above it quite easy to map vanilla Starsector as it is now, because there are very few systems. I hope that eventually we will have a Starsector that is actually split into sectors so we can have a MUCH larger galaxy, at which point mapping it out by hand would become somewhat more or a chore.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 03:54:21 AM by Nimaniel »

harrumph

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2015, 08:14:30 AM »

Jump in at the fringe, look around the system, jump right back out, cruise over to the appropriate jump point or gas giant/star in hyperspace, jump back in. Costs a little extra fuel, but accomplishes the same thing without saving/reloading. In fact, it's often much faster, especially in systems with lots of jump points and/or planets/stations that are very far apart (e.g. Valhalla/Ragnar), to make inter-system trips via hyperspace.

The first time you manage to deliver a procurement contract in under 10 days using such advanced navigation techniques, you'll feel very clever.