Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: More Common (D) Variants  (Read 1772 times)

miro

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
More Common (D) Variants
« on: November 24, 2015, 03:03:58 AM »

The recent update has made the game feel much emptier, and more desolate. The sector really feels like it's a few disasters away from total collapse. I think another thing that would add to this effect would be making (D) ships the norm. I think you'd also have to have a wider array of bad modifiers available to help add character.

I get the feeling that most navies would be building new ships, and restoring old ones, but I don't think they'd be able to replace their losses without pressing some permanently damaged ships into service.
At the moment as far as I can tell the pirates are the only ones that really use the (D) variants, and I think this is a shame as I think they have a lot of potential.

The goal is for undamaged, well preserved ships to feel really special, the way I think a factory new Onslaught should feel. Some ships should feel seriously special.
Hey brah.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: More Common (D) Variants
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 03:27:43 AM »

i really like that idea. low-tech battles feel quite interesting, but using any of those crappy ships at the moment just feels like unnecessarily gimping yourself as the player :/

but it would require many more ships to get (D) variants that don't have any yet, and perhaps also more different versions of those variants for each ship (so that many would only have one or two of the (D)-hullmods, and not always in the same combination).

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 04:14:20 AM »

So far the only D ship I ever considered using was Wolf(D). At least the base ships is good and downsides are manageable.
No degraded engines, but Degraded flux(yes, that's bad) and Damaged turrets (you don't have enough flux for full weapon set anyway).

If the goal is to make D ships usable for player, there has to be more D variants that are manageably bad (like Wolf example above) and not outright horrible.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 04:17:10 AM by TaLaR »

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 04:33:03 AM »

the Mule (D) with Pirate skin is actually pretty great. it has Shielded Cargo Holds (with as much capacity as two Hounds and a Cerberus combined) which is great for smuggling, and its medium turret is universal instead of energy. if you put a missile in there, the reduced flux stats aren't a problem at all. halfed armor still kinda stings, but i think it's the only (D) variant that is about equal to the standard one, if not better -- although that may well change if Alex really gives all (D) variants quadrupled sensor profile with the next update <.<

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 05:36:37 AM »

Please, no!  Playing inferior broken-down crap is not fun!  I avoid them like the plague!  I tried them back in 0.65, and they were bad enough (even the viable ones) that I do not think about boarding or buying them.

If anything, military markets that are not pirate should never clog their inventory with damaged junk.

I do not care if the lore says that the universe is about to crash-and-burn, if it does not make the game fun.

P.S.  I do not mind more (D) ships, if it gives more variety to pirates.  I do not want them rammed down my throat as merchandise in non-Pirate markets.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 05:58:48 AM by Megas »

miro

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 05:00:31 PM »

I see where you're coming from Megas, at the moment, being forced to use the (D) variants would be a big disadvantage. The thing is though, it would only be a disadvantage because all the other factions primarily use pristine ships. This idea would likely require heavy balancing, but the end goal would be to have (D) variants being the standard, ensuring everyone is on a level playing field.
As it stands, there really is no reason to use the (D) variants, and that's a shame, because I think they could be really cool.

TLDR: You won't be at a disadvantage, because everyone has the same problem.
Hey brah.