Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel  (Read 1901 times)

Abradolf Lincler

• Commander
    • View Profile
Fuel
« on: November 23, 2015, 07:15:27 PM »

Was going to trade some fuel then thought of this useful idea, how about any extra fuel you are not using goes into your storage, makes sense and it makes it easier to trade.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 08:06:34 PM »

It sounds like a reasonable idea...i'm guessing that the reason it is currently done as it is; and it kind of makes sense, is that when you purchase units of fuel; you are transfering that fuel directly from the suppliers reservoir into your ships fuel reservoir (whatever form that takes).

So you can't really store fuel since you don't have the containment inside your cargo bay to do so.  This is why the fuel haulers are such a handy addition to your fleet; they store fuel while not costing very much in terms of supplies/month to maintain.

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 08:50:20 PM »

I think somewhere it describes it as Antimatter fuel. probably want something like that contained properly :P

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 08:56:05 PM »

I think somewhere it describes it as Antimatter fuel. probably want something like that contained properly :P
In tooltip. And yeah they are 'SEMI-stable' and 'FAIRLY safe'.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 11:12:10 PM »

The foam surrounding the fullerene is highly electronegative and bonds strongly with the carbon shell of the fullerene molecule, creating an electron deficient internal environment which suspends the antimatter; preventing 'accidental' reactions with the fullerene shell.  Despite how it may seem, most of the structural strength of the fullerene molecule is provided by the foam itself; the fullerene provides the symmetry necessary to suspend the antimatter evenly within the cage.

The foam itself is very robust, with foam molecules bonding with the fullerene even if the material reaches 10's of thousands of degrees (the fuel can become a partial plasma, but the foam sticks to the fullerene still).  So in order to release the antimatter an intermediary fusion process (using the heavy hydrogen isotope) is required to raise the temperature of the foam to a point at which the foam fails and the fullerene cage cracks open to release the antimatter to react with whatever unfortunate matter happens to be wandering by at the time.

So it should be pretty stable; unlikely to detonate even if the ship it is contained in suddenly was to be destroyed.

In summary, fullerene is the eggshell, the antimatter the yolk; the foam the egg carton and the isotope of hydrogen a rather large heavy implement for making a big mess of your kitchen :)

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 12:56:28 AM »

Well, I guess that explains how on earth the fullerene molecules are able to trap antimatter inside. And that the AM in question is positron(...was it in the description of Sindria? I don't remember).

Anyway where did you got the reference? Must have missed somewhere.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 12:57:01 AM »

I'll close this thread, it is a dublicate of this one.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.