Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Questions about going pirate and boarding  (Read 1465 times)

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
Questions about going pirate and boarding
« on: November 23, 2015, 02:06:01 PM »

Once a fix is available for the boarding bug, I'm hoping to try out a pirate campaign where I primarily capture my ships.  I have the feeling this is going to be pretty rough.  Some questions for those who have been playing more 0.7a than me:

• how is the frequency-of-capture chance in 0.7a?  My impression is it seems pretty darn rare/low, but I don't have enough experience to say for sure.
  • is there any way to gain rep with the pirates besides trading with them?  Any config edits or console commands I can use to start with some rep?
  • any recommendations for good systems to prowl with a decent-size pirate market some decent prey, besides Corvus?  The display on the intel screen is helpful, but it's tiny and it only tells you so much.
  • uh... assuming I stick to fighting and not trading, smuggling, etc., will it even be possible to stay cash-positive or cash-stable like this?
  • are larger pirate markets  useful at all - e.g. will Qaras have anything Barad A/B won't?

Lastly, is there any advice anyone else can offer?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 04:40:21 PM by Adraius »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about going pirate and boarding
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 02:42:54 PM »

Once a fix is available for the boarding bug, I'm hoping to try out a pirate campaign where I primarily capture my ships.  I have the feeling this is going to be pretty rough.  Some questions for those who have been playing more 0.7a than me:

• how is the frequency-of-capture chance in 0.7a?  My impression is it seems pretty darn rare/low, but I don't have enough experience to say for sure.
  • is there any way to gain rep with the pirates besides trading with them?  Any config edits or console commands I can use to start with some rep?
  • any recommendations for good systems to prowl with a decent-size pirate market some decent prey, besides Corvus?  The display on the intel screen is helpful, but it's tiny and it only tells you so much.
  • uh... assuming I stick to fighting and not trading, smuggling, etc., will it even be possible to stay cash-positive or cash-stable like this?
  • are larger pirate markets  useful at all - e.g. will Qaras have anything Barad A/B won't?

Lastly, is there any advice anyone else can offer?
Boarding chances have been cut by 75% and are now at a whopping 5% (although it seems much much lower)
As for starting with more rep with them, you can use the command "setrelationship pirates player 10" for better rep with them at the beginning
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 02:46:39 PM by Midnight Kitsune »
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about going pirate and boarding
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 02:51:15 PM »

is there any way to gain rep with the pirates besides trading with them?  Any config edits or console commands I can use to start with some rep?

I believe smuggling into non-pirate bases will give a small boost to your pirate relations. (equal to the amount of rep you lose from the faction you're smuggling into).