Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Only (D)-class for pirates?  (Read 2168 times)

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
Only (D)-class for pirates?
« on: November 23, 2015, 01:49:21 PM »

Back in 0.65 I had fun building my fleet mostly out of captured ships.  I remember pirate fleets having plenty of regular low-tech and even pretty nice ships mixed in with the crap, but I was playing with SS+ and Nexerelin.  Have pirate fleets always been exclusively crap-tier combatants (plus the occasional stock Hermes) in vanilla?

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Only (D)-class for pirates?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 02:07:10 PM »

Its to make the early game easier since that seems to be a big issue right now.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 03:27:36 PM »

Regular ships are far, far more rare than they were before.  I suggest that you start getting used to them. :)
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 01:16:03 AM »

SS+ adds the cool unique pirate ships (Scythe, Boar, Stalker, Dragon, etc.), yes.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 11:43:32 AM »

Pirate fleets have always been mostly crap.
Occaisionally you will see decent quality low-tech and midline ships, but almost never high-techs. I think I've seen Shades, Afflictors and non (D) pirate Wolves a few times, but I don't remember anything bigger.

SS+ adds the cool unique pirate ships (Scythe, Boar, Stalker, Dragon, etc.), yes.
And yet the Barbarian is better than all of those and doesn't even get mentioned? :P
I think I may have mentioned I have an irrational adoration of this ship before....

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 11:46:09 AM »

Early on before 0.6, (D) ships did not exist, and Pirates had most of the same low tech ships used by the Hegemony.  Now, they use mostly (D) ships and few others.