Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Alex, pay your portrait artist to make some new ones!  (Read 1727 times)

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile
Alex, pay your portrait artist to make some new ones!
« on: November 22, 2015, 10:42:38 AM »

For a while the current portraits were mostly enough, although I do think they are too few for the player to choose, at least you didn't saw your face too much on enemies and whatnot...

the thing is: now with the new communication interface, where you talk not only to officers but other people, you see the same faces over and over again, I for example see my favourite portrait (the dude with red and green glasses) a lot now.

I know it ins't cheap, I also own a game company, but please, ASAP pay your portrait artist to make some new ones, just to add more variety to the officers :) (and as a bonus, more faces for the players).

Of course, modders can improve this, but the current portraits have really cool art, and rarely a mod can match it (some mods can have art that surpass it, but then things look sort of jarring).

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Alex, pay your portrait artist to make some new ones!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 10:49:16 AM »

The "portrait artist" has a name; his name is David, and he posts from time to time.

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 10:51:53 AM »

The "portrait artist" has a name; his name is David, and he posts from time to time.

I knew David made the ships, didn't knew he also made the portraits, thus why I don't used a name :)

Also from what I heard from the Space RPG 2 debacle, David is paid per sprite, thus why I used the term "pay your artist" on the title.

Also, I wish I could hire David too, but I don't have money now even to buy food :( (long story... of what happen when you try to be too ethical on the mobile games market), still, I love his artwork.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 11:16:46 AM »

Thanks, glad you like the portraits. And yes, we absolutely plan to have more of them.

For this latest patch (0.7x) I had actually redrawn every portrait, so that was a fair chunk of work. All in good time!

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 11:22:32 AM »

Would variants be an option here? Like just shuffling colors and uniforms.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 12:05:04 PM »

For this latest patch (0.7x) I had actually redrawn every portrait, so that was a fair chunk of work.

Yes. They look so very good too.
Esp. my favourite very cross looking Hegemony lady.
Alex should totally buy you a drink. Hell a fleet of drinks.

Is it going to end up with a roster of portraits for each faction? Because that would be amazing.

And after any additions to the portraits, all we need is the ability for the player to import a custom one for themselves to round it off.