Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Officers  (Read 13176 times)

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
Re: Officers
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2015, 02:00:48 PM »

I'm not super far yet, so i only have one officer, picked him up at lvl 1 with one point in helmsmanship, been leveling that up quite effectively, his wolf is absurdly fast now and he excels at map control and harassing, Oh he is steady personality.
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 02:35:26 PM »

Here's what I think so far:

Aggressive: OK in some ships, but they need to be expertly outfitted. You also want Damage Control 10 on every Aggressive officer if possible. Make sure you control which range they will engage at by taking note of the lowest-range weapon you give them. Good Aggressive ships: SO Lasher, SO Enforcer
Steady: Nuff said
Cautious: Kept my Buffalo II alive for like 15 battles. Also used in a beam wolf and in needler-equipped support ships to great success. Seems like a natural fit for ships that you either want to use as pointmen or for ships that instantly die if they close in on the enemy.
Timid: Not much experience with this one. I assume it will be annoying on a lot of ships, and decent on ships like Buffalo IIs, carriers and perhaps glass cannon, artillery-equipped cruisers, destroyers and capitals.

mitthrawnuruodo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2015, 07:53:15 PM »

So far 80% of the officers I came across are aggressive.

So far I mostly put aggressive officers on close support / assault ships, cautious and timid officers in close support / fire support ships.

Loving the system in general. Combining AI control, command system and AI personalities this is almost like a "lite" sci-fi version of wargames like Scourge of War or Command Ops.

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2015, 12:17:48 AM »

The only timid officer i have is currently commanding my heron - never even comes close to the battle, pretty much exactly what i wanted! for a while i had a second heron without an officer, but the steady AI seems to like getting too close to torpedoes.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 11:29:20 AM »

I use two Timids on Hounds.  I want them to capture points, yet avoid contact with the enemy at all costs (because no shield is fatal if enemy has beams or missiles).

Use Timid on non-civilian ships that you want to avoid combat, such as scouts or underequipped carriers.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2015, 11:40:45 AM »

Early on, I had an aggressive officer in a Hermes so it can fight without me giving it orders to do so.

Twogs

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2015, 11:58:15 AM »

Timid Officer with Helmsman+Missile Spec. in a Vigilance with Pilum = A funny and fast little ship circling the enemy fleet and constantly putting out pila. Great fire support, weak on their own

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2015, 12:07:59 PM »

I have some trouble finding cautious officers, and I've only seen one timid so far. They seem very uneven distributed.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2015, 12:14:52 PM »

I have some trouble finding cautious officers, and I've only seen one timid so far. They seem very uneven distributed.
I'vebeen having the opposite: Been finding mostly cautious and steady officers with only on timid and two aggressives
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2015, 12:35:09 PM »

Isn't the type of officer that spawns for you to hire based on the faction? Like Hegemony mostly has steady and aggressive, with some cautious and the rare timid.
Pages: 1 [2]