Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Officers  (Read 13183 times)

Toranet

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Officers
« on: November 22, 2015, 02:51:05 AM »

Guys, I may be dumb, but Im playing the 0.7a for 3 hours already and didnt find any way to hire any officers at all. I did everything I could find, contacted with pirates/mercs/friendly faction fleets, traded a pack of stations, opened all windows available, looked through the search on this forum, but there is just no lead how you get those damn officers for your own fleet at all...
 Can someone explain how you get them cus it makes me mad ^^

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Officers
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 03:05:20 AM »

Select the first option on any station's or planet's market comm menu, and look if there's a "mercenary officer". Just contact him or her to see skills and hire.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Toranet

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 03:12:35 AM »

Thanks! Entered this option multiple times but never saw merc officers before :/    Looked through multiple places, on the 4th station found the one.

Volken

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 05:40:24 AM »

On another note, cautious officers seem to stay out of missile range of enemy ships too which can be quite annoying when they have 1000 range weapons and refuse to use them because the enemy has dumbfire missiles and torpedoes which the AI understands as "weapons with longer range than mine so i have to stay away" disregarding the fact that they have a VERY low hit chance past 400 meters. Maybe this behaviour should be tweaked based on the hullsize of the ship the AI controls. Have yet to test aggressive AI though.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 05:41:58 AM by Volken »

Toranet

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 05:43:28 AM »

Well, I think those officers are made for your own LRM ships that can shoot for 7000+ range for you not to be afraid of loosing the ship itself. But probably you realy need to make it fixed a bit for non aiming missiles.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 05:46:45 AM »

I did not think of missiles interfering with Cautious officers.  I planned on hiring several Cautious officers so they would properly kite with long-range weapons.  Looks like I will need more Steady officers.

That would make Pilums caution-bane.

Volken

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 05:57:00 AM »

Well, I think those officers are made for your own LRM ships that can shoot for 7000+ range for you not to be afraid of loosing the ship itself. But probably you realy need to make it fixed a bit for non aiming missiles.

I doubt it because the Timid personality is supposed to fill that role, Cautious is supposed to stay at maximum weapons range and engage from afar. I'm using it with a brawler with maulers and a wolf with beam weapons , both have 1000 range plus range bonuses from modules and character abilities. Watching them fight a (D)Enforcer with low range PD weapons and annihilator missiles or reaper torpedoes which should be an easy job for them is suffering. They'll just stay out of range and follow it until they run out of CR...

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 09:08:03 AM »

I've got a cautious dude on a Wolf, and she's actually p. good. Seems to have no problem darting upto enemies, unloading then backing off.

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 09:27:36 AM »

Loving the officers so far. The different AIs are very noticable and fun!

The Stable AI in my Wolf is very survivable and handles engagements like a pro, but an Agressive AI got itelf killed in the same ship even against a Cerebus! Not sure if the Agressive AI is just bad for the Wolf or just worse in general? Any ship where the Agressive AI is good?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 09:31:56 AM »

Oh, Hi Faiter, long time no see :)

It's great for pursuit ships, and good in everything with heavy armor.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 09:40:18 AM »

Re: Aggressive
Lashers, any civilian ship upgraded enough to fight effectively (e.g., Hermes), maybe carriers like Heron.  Maybe good if you have range mismatch on your weapons and you want the AI to get in range for all of them?

Faiter119

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 09:48:55 AM »

Thanks! Il put my madman agressive officer in som CQC ship when I get one.

Im always around, lurking in the shadows ;) This new update really is a breath of fresh air and renewed my love for the game :)

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 10:29:25 AM »

Wolf even an aggressive player won't survive (I tried), the wolf has massive issues with flux, you NEED to be careful when flying one.

I noticed the best wolf uses are:

1) Take pot-shots, vent, pot-shots, vent...

or

2) Use the teleporting to teleport to someone back, pound his engine, then flee, recharge teleport, and do it again.

Neither is an aggressive use, both require caution and thinking.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2015, 11:01:58 AM »

I would use either Steady or Timid on a Wolf.  Steady because of range mismatch between beams and blaster/pulse laser, and it needs to dart in-and-out (and not be too aggressive).  Timid if you want a scout to capture points yet avoid combat.  Cautious might be okay for an all-beam Wolf, maybe?

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2015, 11:11:47 AM »

I've put an aggressive officer on an Enforcer and it works quite well. With "steady" on a pulse laser wolf it flew like normal (only better because skills).
Pages: [1] 2