Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gryphon Missile Cruiser  (Read 10184 times)

Twogs

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Gryphon Missile Cruiser
« on: November 21, 2015, 01:37:56 PM »

Hey guys

I have a rather simple question.

Who sells the Gryphon? Has anyone found one so far? I really want one and so I want to know which faction I should make my friend

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Gryphon Missile Cruiser
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 01:43:07 PM »

I'm pretty sure Hegemony sells it.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 01:49:05 PM »

I bought one at Coatl station, but you need the Hegemony to be friendly towards you.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Twogs

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 02:00:04 PM »

Obviosly they have to be friendly to me, thats the whole point of my question :)

Because of this new "You can only have one friend" system you have to plan ahead, so I should probably make the Hegemony my best friends then.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 02:11:06 PM »

Obviosly they have to be friendly to me, thats the whole point of my question :)
Because of this new "You can only have one friend" system you have to plan ahead, so I should probably make the Hegemony my best friends then.
Who says you need to buddy up with them PERMANENTLY?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Twogs

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 02:13:03 PM »

I want a Missile fleet. So I maybe need a steady supply of Gryphons ... ;)

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 03:24:46 PM »

Who says you need to buddy up with them PERMANENTLY?
Sounds like you backstabbed someone several times :P

Tixios

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 05:56:41 AM »

I recently got one but using the missile nanoforge cost 15% CR which is not in the ship system description and kind of makes me not want to use it.
Replenishing missiles with set ammo is powerful but the CR cost is a bit much.

I have not tested it how it behaves in the hands of AI only from my own perspective.

Twogs

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 07:20:46 AM »

AI is REALLY bad with this system, constantly using it and basicly killing the Gryphon in the process.

The way the Nanoforge is right now it's more like a lost resort:

It can dish out tremendous amounts of damage, even defeating the strongest enemies. But at a high cost. A really high cost

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 07:29:06 AM »

It is built for the player with max Missile Specialization.  I have not tried Reaper spam as an Aurora can do, but it is very good at Harpoon and MIRV spam.  Gryphon is Starsector's D&D wizard who casts all spell slots in one fight - the five-minute adventuring day.  The Gryphon is built to blow through its CR in one fight.  If you do not want to do that, there are better and more efficient options such as Dominator.

The Aurora needs the ammo nanoforge special instead of its dubious high-energy focus.  Most of its power comes from missiles, not the meager two blasters it has.  Also, the Gryphon and Aurora appear very similar.

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 09:50:47 AM »

I'm just going to drop this here, for those that haven't seen it.  All credit to Sy:

Spoiler
[close]

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 10:34:18 AM »

I'm just going to drop this here, for those that haven't seen it.  All credit to Sy:

Spoiler
[close]
That reminds me way too much of all those mod-fleet videos which show off how their ships obliterate vanilla capital ships. Templar being a good example, but I've seen it in quite a few other places.

Dear god....
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 11:51:37 AM »

Spoiler
[close]
That reminds me way too much of all those mod-fleet videos which show off how their ships obliterate vanilla capital ships. Templar being a good example, but I've seen it in quite a few other places.
Dear god....
Templars are a end game BOSS faction and when you combine them with a level 10 combat player of course they would become freaking OP to the max
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

TheKillerWolf

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 08:42:40 PM »

i think the forge should be alot like venting in that it disables weapon fire and refills the missiles over 4-5 seconds.  maybe generates some flux.

RickyRio

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 08:48:41 PM »

i think the forge should be alot like venting in that it disables weapon fire and refills the missiles over 4-5 seconds.  maybe generates some flux.

I dont think this is necessary considering the MASSIVE CR cost involved in using it. That having been said I do agree it should generate more flux than it does currently and perhaps have a 15-30 second cooldown, just to cut down on the torpedo spam.
Pages: [1] 2