Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Is your standard Starsector playthrough an Ironman mode?

Yes
No

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Do you believe Starsector is best played Ironman? (poll)  (Read 7936 times)

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Do you believe Starsector is best played Ironman? (poll)
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2015, 09:19:50 PM »

Haha, hey, another SO2 fan! Yeah, there were several ways to break the game and get really powerful early on.

Spoiler
You could also pickpocket a crew member while on board the Calnus and get your self a Batlle Suit which has CRAZY high defense that early on.
[close]

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2015, 09:36:49 PM »

:D

Spoiler
Whaaaaaaat?!?! Never knew that!
[close]

mitthrawnuruodo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2015, 06:30:26 PM »

Ironmad Mode is simply a waste of time, as it is with any game.

I dont believe most working professionals get more than 1-2 hours of gaming a day. Between that and hundreds of new games released every year, its completely wasteful to throw away tens of hours of progress just to feel hardcore.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 09:21:31 PM »

I've been playing on normal mode for my first playthrough just to get the hang of the system.  I'm seriously considering starting an Ironman playthough just to see what it's like, though.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2015, 09:27:33 PM »

I dont believe most working professionals get more than 1-2 hours of gaming a day. Between that and hundreds of new games released every year, its completely wasteful to throw away tens of hours of progress just to feel hardcore.
In your OPINION, right?

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2015, 09:32:28 PM »

Its fun - I just got my ironman game to endgame and had a good time. Lost several ships, missed a few trades, but no wipes. I DID have to run for my freaking life once, but in general it seems that the enemy (non-bounty) fleets are smaller than in past versions. Most of my money came from trade contracts - heavy machinery is always cheap in Chacoloxital (spelling....) so those are profitable. I also had 4 Buffaloes and a Dram to carry a ton of supplies and fuel, so I made a profit any time I came across a market with high supply costs. I just bought a 14th battlegroup Onslaught and have 3 14Enforcers to guard its flanks (along with another 2 regulars, a condor, and several fighter wings) - I'll tool around for a while blowing everything up, but I seriously doubt anything is going to challenge it.

Funny thing is that I never bought a cruiser, because I never saw one for sale I wanted after I got my rep up. Where be my Eagles?! My Fleet Doctrine is incomplete without Eagles!

I can completely understand this sentiment and I think the game should always have a 'non' iron mode for exactly that reason. I like it because for me its the THREAT of losing tens of hours of progress that makes everything spicier.

mitthrawnuruodo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2015, 09:44:53 PM »

In your OPINION, right?

It is a waste of time regardless of my opinion. Now some people, unlike me, might enjoy wasting time. I am fine with that since every one should be free to enjoy the game in their way.

Zaphide

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2015, 09:57:21 PM »

In your OPINION, right?

It is a waste of time regardless of my opinion. Now some people, unlike me, might enjoy wasting time. I am fine with that since every one should be free to enjoy the game in their way.

Ah but surely whether or not any activity is a waste of time is an opinion  :P

i.e. gardening is a waste of time, exercise is a waste of time, playing computer games is a waste of time... an so on!

-----

Regardless, playing on Ironman (and equivalents in other games, Hardcore in Diablo, many rogue(likes), EVE Online) makes me feel a bit more on edge and I feel adds a bit more to the game. Why would I bother with getting chased in a pursuit battle if I could just reload before the battle even started? Kind of cuts out (the necessity of) part of the game :)

mitthrawnuruodo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2015, 10:04:54 PM »

Ah but surely whether or not any activity is a waste of time is an opinion  :P

i.e. gardening is a waste of time, exercise is a waste of time, playing computer games is a waste of time... an so on!

-----

Regardless, playing on Ironman (and equivalents in other games, Hardcore in Diablo, many rogue(likes), EVE Online) makes me feel a bit more on edge and I feel adds a bit more to the game. Why would I bother with getting chased in a pursuit battle if I could just reload before the battle even started? Kind of cuts out (the necessity of) part of the game :)

Ahh, but if you would not fear your time being wasted, you would look forward to the wipe instead of feeling a bit more on edge, no? :)

Anyway sorry if I sound prejudiced or bitter. Just a bit frustrated with so many new games that would not even bothering to give the option.... trying to teach players about "consequences" and other such pretentious nonsense - in a frigging single player videogame.
Pages: 1 [2]