Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: If you're working on a mod... (updated build)  (Read 14991 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
If you're working on a mod... (updated build)
« on: May 27, 2011, 01:19:06 PM »

... and want to get a head start on converting your work into the real mod format, you can use this preview build.

This version is Windows-only and isn't exactly ready for prime time (not nearly as well tested as I'd like, for one), so you probably don't want it unless you're actually working on a mod.

Before installing, please do an uninstall. If you want to save your mission scores, make a copy of the starfarer-all/saves/ folder before uninstalling, and then copy it back after installing. This type of thing will be addressed before the official 0.34a release but we're not quite there yet ;)

Also, note that I've updated the Mod Format Preview topic with some Very Important information.

If you're using Linux or are on a Mac, let me know and I'll make a platform-specific build for you. I certainly don't want to exclude anyone, just starting with windows-only to save a bit of work in case that's all that's needed right now.

If you run into any problems or have any questions, don't hesitate to let me know/ask.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 04:08:23 PM by Alex »

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
Re: If you're working on a mod...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 01:28:58 PM »

Sweet! thanks ;D
Perfect timing for me, as now I can work on converting my mods during my 3hr train ride in a few hours.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 10:19:20 PM »

You ARE aware that the new medium mission is harder than Hornet's Nest, right?

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 10:30:54 PM »

lol X3
I was actually going to post on that...
I found that the bombers don't always succeed in killing the cruiser... because when they don't, they often completely fail to do any significant damage, and... well, that is bad.

And considering I can beat hornet's nest 100% of the time (and beat it on my first try, though I beat this one too on my first try), but this one only about 50% of the time, because of failure to kill the cruiser or inability to defend myself against the lighter ship (though this latter one is likely skewed by the bug preventing me to activate autofire at very low framerates, considering I have had WAY more trouble with this mission on my netbook than on my main computer, which plays it very quickly. got 95% on my first go.)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2011, 08:42:02 AM »

You ARE aware that the new medium mission is harder than Hornet's Nest, right?

... crap!

The thing about this one is it's supposed to teach you one thing - setting up bombing runs. If you keep the bombers back, and order an attack run on the cruiser when it shows up, you *shouldn't* have much trouble. If the bomber get scattered/engage other targets/etc, though, you'll have problems because the cruiser is a bruiser. Ahem.

Ok, I just tried playing it again, and it hurt me. See, what happened is, I've done some work on the AI since putting that mission together, and the enemy ships are a lot more effective - and for some reason, I'm having a lot more trouble keeping the bombers in a tight group than before.

I'll take a look :)

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2011, 09:07:07 AM »

I must compliment the enemy ship's/AI's very good use of those sabot SRM's... and the SRMs hurt, even if you catch them on your armor, to the point it could be better to overload yourself than to get a hit on the armor.

But yeah, keeping the bombers together is a bigger issue I find, often resulting in them not attacking the cruiser effectively.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2011, 09:40:23 AM »

Just played sinking the bis'mar on .34a: because of the changes to the onslaught (typhoons vs. pilums), the mission is much, much easier than before, because now you don't even have the missiles to contend with (and it was pretty easy to begin with)

I think that it could be downrated to medium.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2011, 09:48:40 AM »

Ahh, thanks for pointing that out. That's unintended - I was in the process of changing the Onslaught loadouts but never quite finished. The entire point of that mission is pretty much dodging LRMs... so that'll definitely change back.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2011, 01:44:54 PM »

And Predator or Prey? has an issue with the new shield balance, because the sabot missiles even if all hit will fail to overload the shields of the astral.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2011, 03:15:02 PM »

Right - I actually did test that out and like how that works, though it does make the mission harder - but by no means impossible, or even all that difficult.

If pretty much the best shields in the game were overwhelmed by just two racks of Sabots, well, that'd be a bit much. They still put quite a dent in the shields, though.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2011, 03:39:29 PM »

But it will shut down the shields immediately, meaning that it won't overload, and so can shoot down the torps.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 03:51:29 PM »

But it will shut down the shields immediately, meaning that it won't overload, and so can shoot down the torps.

So... in other words, it's doing the tactically correct thing? :)

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
Re: If you're working on a mod... (updated build)
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 04:24:58 PM »

But that makes it harder than medium... >.>
I find it harder than hornets nest & the last hurrah anyways. :P

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 04:40:05 PM »

Oh yeah, that's "medium" :) I'll change it to "hard".

... and "The Last Hurrah" is going to get a lot harder. Those two Onslaughts are going to have to live up to their name better.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 04:46:56 PM »

:D :D :D
I'm looking forward to this.
Pages: [1] 2