Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Safety Overrides Builds  (Read 15669 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Safety Overrides Builds
« on: November 20, 2015, 09:34:49 PM »

Lets share our effective uses of this hullmod!

I finally set this one up and its blowing me away:

Medusa
2x Heavy Blaster
2x Light Machine Gun
5x PD Laser

20 Vents, Safety Overrides
a few caps?
I have a few points in tech, so apologies if the numbers don't add up to 90 :P.

It has 1200 venting! Not quite enough to keep up with 2 heavy blasters, but very nearly. The sheer firepower this thing brings, at very high speeds, is just amazing.

SpacePoliticianAndaZealot

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
Re: Safety Overrides Builds
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 09:05:46 AM »

Just tried this out in the Wolf Pack mission. It makes for amazing raider vessels, but really narrows the ship down to that role.
Also, with the standard 90 OP you can put on just 10 vents.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 08:06:28 PM »

Ah shoot, I forgot I have the L10 combat skill that reduces OP costs! My bad!

In general I feel SO only gets really good once you can increase OPs, but others disagree, so...

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 08:10:00 PM »

How do you get around the part where the ship doesn't actively vent anymore? that one is making it really hard to use for me.

Blaze

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2015, 08:13:03 PM »

Venting doubles vent ability.
Safety Override doubles vent ability.

The fact that you can't actively vent is a balancing factor to avoid 4x vent rate.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 08:16:52 PM »

Get the starting Bounty Hunter Wolf, choose the Heavy Blaster, spec Technology (for OP), then toss the standard loadout and get Heavy Blaster, SO, two single-shot harpoons or sabots, and 3 PD Lasers. Put excess OPs into capacitors.

That one has served me well so far as a starter ship, and grows really well with extra OP from speccing Technology. As you get additional OP, you can choose between pure flux efficiency, heavier missiles, upgrade to Burst PD, or Hardened Subsystems for endurance.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 08:18:23 PM by Cycerin »

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 10:38:51 PM »

I've found an Enforcer armed with close-range weaponry and SO installed with maximum vents rips everything that exists to shreds, even Cruisers.

x2 Flak Cannons (in the usual positions)
x2 Heavy Autocannons (I'd use Heavy MGs, but I don't have any in the bit of space I'm currently in)
x1 Assault Chaingun
x4 Salamander MRM (Single)

About a quarter of the remaining OP should go to Capacitors - I've discovered in my trials that the AI cannot withstand having a low Flux limit - they flounder and can't move out of the way in time, especially when it comes to strike weapons like multiple wings of Daggers.  The rest go to Vents (preferably all 20 if you have the OP to spare).

I've got my current loadout as Especially if you've got America Roth (I love that name for some reason - he also shares the same portrait as my main character, so I have made him my second in command) as a level 16 Officer armed to the teeth with Level 10 Combat, Level 10 Target Analysis, level 7 in Flux Modulation (good for this Enforcer SO loadout) , and a bunch of other level 1 and 4 skills - this thing becomes unbeatable.  The Enforcer can catch up to whatever it likes, blow it to pieces, and move on.  The never-ending pain train of America Roth is awesome to watch and a thing to marvel. :D With my character skills, he's actually got a 16 Capacitor and 20 Vent loadout - he can absorb all the damage he wants and dish out more.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 10:44:03 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 05:26:22 AM »

There are all sorts of fun to use (if this were a multiplayer game I'd say lulzy) loadouts for nearly all the ships (I want SO on Paragon!  :'( )
Here's one for quickly beating Sinking the Bismar (I know, quite an achievment :D):
2x antimatter blaster
2x Hammer torpedoes
2x mining laser
Sink the rest into caps and vents, you can teleport behind the capital, fire everything and effortlessly zigzag away.
Rinse and repeat, and you are done in a few minutes.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 07:09:10 PM »

Just slap Safety Override on any Gryphon that attacks solely with missiles (i.e., uses ballistics for PD-only and not anti-shield).  It can spend the rest of its OP on Missiles, Vulcans and Flak, and flux stats.

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 11:47:09 AM »

This is my midgame Sunder loadout.  Although short-ranged it has the mobility of a frigate and the damage output of a cruiser with its never-ending torrent of alternating Heavy Blaster shots.

Spoiler
[close]

Oooh, shiny! I suppose flux doesn't build up if you are firing while shields are up?

Too bad I can't pull that off on a Wolf, but it would be probably OP  ;D

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 01:22:06 PM »

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Lasher.

The Buzzsaw build :

Spoiler
[close]

624 kinetic DPS.

2000 (spread) High Explosive burst, reusable 10 times.

500 Fragmentation DPS.

For a total of 96 flux per seconds

Charge the enemy, insta-overload them, crack open the armor, drill them a hole from the prow to the stern. Repeat.

Oh, and because you're basically covered in PDs, you're more or less immune to missiles. Ain't that fair?

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 04:25:33 PM »

I know the Hammerhead used to be something of a toaster, but I had a lot of fun with a basic Safety Override fit.  2x Chainguns, 2x Dual LMGs in the forward PD mounts, decent pile of vents and the rest basically doesn't matter so you're free to touch it up to suit your preferences and you don't need perfect OP skills to make a workable fit.  Push F, annihilate target, repeat.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2015, 02:22:23 AM »

Spoiler
[close]

It would probably be better with HMGs instead of autocannons, but I don't have any of those.
Effective as it is I think I still prefer the "standard" build more, I'm not really a huge fan of hurryhurryhurry.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2015, 03:32:35 AM »

I save scumm boarded an apogee.

Hardened shields, SO + officer with flux skill.

Its invincible.

Kzanu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 04:07:19 AM »

I save scumm boarded an apogee.

Hardened shields, SO + officer with flux skill.

Its invincible.

Don't feel bad. It's the only way to find one ....
Pages: [1] 2