Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mod Recomendations?  (Read 3366 times)

basilhare

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Mod Recomendations?
« on: January 01, 2016, 02:28:35 AM »

Loving the game but would like more content...could I get some recommendations on mods? Are there any that add content but have few if any bugs? Also, is there a thread on mod installation for new players? Thanks.

Jude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Mod Recomendations?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 02:38:05 AM »

This thread tells how to do the only real necessary mod configuring.

Starsector+ and Nexerelin add more features, there are some utility mods like Common Radar and Combat Chatter, and the rest are all faction mods. I myself usually stick to the ones that are corvus mode compatible, keeping in mind some still need some updates to be balanced/stable/playable, since Starsector updated relatively recently.

My mod folder right now looks like this.
Spoiler
[close]

Edit: There's also Ironclads you could try, which is a total conversion mod incompatible with most other mods, but I've never tried it myself.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 03:22:53 AM »

There is a nice Mods Index that can be found on here that has a list of some mods. It has some utilities mods with particularly useful being the common radar that adds a mini radar map both in map and while in battle. There are other utilities too.

The two basic Major Mods are Starsector+ and Nexerelin.

Starsector+ enhances the game and adds a lot of cool pirate ships. It also balances the game in a way that when used in conjuction with the mods it supports (found on it's page) no faction will be too overpowered compared to the other and the game will not feel like one faction is weak and the other all powerful. Well Knights Templar are overpowered, but they are meant to be that way.

Nexerelin changes the way the game play, making it so factions can take over markets and the battle feels more real, as the galaxy changes instead of the factiosn always having the same planets. You can either play in Corvus mode, where you play in the original Starsector galaxy, but with the Nexerelin rules, or you can create a random universe with customized number of stars/planets/stations and play in there, which gives a great replay value. On Nexerelin Faq you can fine which mod factions are supported and which of them support Corvus mode.

My first game was getting factions that were both compatible with SS+ and Nexerelin Corvus mode and played in the original galaxy with some extra factions that were compatible with both mods.

If you do not care to play in the original galaxy, just get what mod factions you want and add them, creating a nice universe with many different faction.

Currently I am playing on an older Starsector version (0.65.2a) with Nexerelin, Starsector and 24 mod factions. Chaotic and nice :)

Just to point out an observation, having many factions does not seem to make the game slow down much. Both my gameplays with some some factions and now 24, have been in a random galaxy with max stars/planets/stations. The one does not seem to be slower than the other.

Since Jude suggest Ironclads, I will tell you to not get it for a while but keep an eye until the version changes from 10.1. I played it a bit and it was awesome. Awesomely hard, totally different from the normal game or any other mod and generally awesome. Sadly currently the bounties on it are broken, so it is quite hard to make money only from bounties and it is also hard to raise reputation with factions, since you can;t go around killing their enemies and make them like you. The creator seems to be lost about it, but hopefully he will manage to make it work.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 03:29:42 AM by weltall »
Ignorance is bliss..

basilhare

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 03:36:53 PM »

Wow...thanks...watching the video now....

Q: So the Nex and SS+ can be run at the same time?

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 03:57:02 PM »

Yes indeed they can. SS+ just enhances the game mechanics (and adds awesome pirate ships) and Nexerelin makes the game feel like a 4X game. If anything I have never played a modded game yet without both of them at the same time. The only thing in my modded plays that changes is the amount of factions.
Ignorance is bliss..

basilhare

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 05:05:52 PM »

I went with most of nemo's mods but am getting a fatal error during the decision tree for game start....I posted the error in the bug section as an attachment...any ideas on solving this would be appreciated...

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 06:04:31 PM »

Keep in mind Nemo is is playing the version I mentioned I am playing too, 0.65.2a. He has not yet started a new season since he is waiting for mods to update to 0.7.1a, so if you use a mod that is in dev or updated version, that might be the cause. If anything, have you followed the steps of the link (http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8726.0) that Jude shown you? A lot of times crashes occur becuase players do not update their Java to 64bit and set the ram higher. Or depending how much ram they have on their PC, it happens because they set it too high.
Ignorance is bliss..