Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Convicted of having too many friends  (Read 10830 times)

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Convicted of having too many friends
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2015, 04:48:31 PM »

I have to say that I feel the "ties with enemy" investigations trigger too early.  "Welcoming", that is +30 rep, is not where they should be happening.

I also don't like the conceit that you CANnot play "The Great Peacemaker" or "The Great Unifier".

This.
I got an investigation and conviction from a faction I haven't even actually met yet just from carting packages around.

SpacePoliticianAndaZealot

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2015, 01:02:24 AM »

I suspect we will have a mod disabling faction ties investigations very soon  ;)
Losing one hundred freaking rep in one fell swoop is beyond fathomable atrocity.

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2015, 03:07:07 PM »

My thoughts echo this thread, my hegemony relationship is my highest, +26, barely even welcoming, and the sindrian diktat are investigating my "acting against Diktat interests"

Edit: I've been bounty hunting a bit, and suddenly I have + 28 hegemony rep and EVERYONE is investigating me, the tri tach went hostile right as I got credit for a bounty and i missed out on a 35K payout ( mind you i still only have 2 wolves because i'm still not even to mid-game)

Also now the Luddic church is investigating me, please you idiots are constantly trading with the hegemony why are you getting mad at me?
same goes for the sindrian diktat, they don't trade as much but they are about to turn hostile.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 05:40:59 PM by Doom101 »
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2015, 06:08:52 PM »

i'm having problems raising my standing at all.. i'm level 42 and have been hunting bounty fleets since i started. i've reached "endgame" as in i have over a million credits and a max-size fleet. i can't buy cruisers from the hegemony yet, and they are my highest faction standing

am i doing something wrong? i tried following around patrols in corvus and valhalla to aid them when they get jumped, but the pirates and tri-tachyon both seem extremely dormant. they barely send out fleets and when they do they are two hounds and maybe a mule.

used to be i could go to valhalla and pile the bodies and the hegemony would like me. now it seems like an impossible mountain.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2015, 10:32:54 PM »

I've figured out a few tricks for raising rep - just got to 76 with the Heg.

1) Doing large trade missions from Heg world to Heg world can get you ~5-8 per run, but only to a certain point. I had some big runs from Chacolitzusascxcxcxxcxxcx (spelling) to Eventide with heavy machinery - netted a big profit and trade rep gains from the buying side.

1) Beating up the tri-tach in Valhala works, but only if there's a bounty going. Extra bonus points for joining a battle in progress, as you get both the bounty rep gain and the helping rep gain.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2015, 10:36:46 PM »

Killing non-named pirates in and around the systems with bounties, helping factions fight pirates in those systems and helping factions against enemies all raise your standing more quickly than doing bounty fleets. The hardest part is finding good engagements.

NightfallGemini

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2015, 03:06:29 AM »

Yeah, this system doesn't seem to make sense considering ferrying packages between factions that already quite happily trade and destroying pirates would logically be within everyone's interest. Now, if faction alliances shifted periodically it'd make sense (i.e. sort of like how war and treaties work in the Nexerelin mod from a flavor standpoint).

Lanvrik

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2015, 04:23:12 AM »

My take on faction relations would be as follows:

1) If I have a high reputation with your enemy, you will gradually grow to hate me. Doesn't really matter what the source of my relationship increases was. If my actions have benefited your enemy you will not have a positive opinion of me.

2) If I have a high reputation with your rival, neither enemy nor ally, you will not wish to trust me fully. You have to wonder what are my intentions are in getting so buddy buddy with that rival faction? This situation could perhaps impose a limit to how high our relationship will go until my relationship with your rival has reduced to a particular point.

3) If I have high reputation with your ally, your trust in me will gradually increase up to a certain limit. After all, you are benefiting second hand from my actions. But since I'm not helping you directly there is a limit to your favor. Once again, you must wonder what are my intentions are in working with your ally and not with you. Until my relationship with your ally has reduced to a particular point you probably won't want to further our direct relationship.

4) Individuals are more easily influenced than nations. I've come to the aid of one of your commanders in the past and formed a positive understanding. This positive working relationship can probably exceed the limitations imposed above. This could be especially interesting in scenario 1, perhaps making me a double agent. (Friendly Tri-Tach officer asking me to install a communication sniffer in hegemony space in exchange for temporary access to station facilities and services.)

5) If I am caught actively acting against your interests, you will be vengeful. If I go pirating in your space and then try to improve our relationship in the future, you will make sure I have to prove myself worthy of trust. Or perhaps I may never be able to attain higher relationship levels until after performing a truly epic task to your benefit. Even then, you probably keep an eye on me and the trust degrades back down gradually.

6) Pirate hunting can only take you so far. Being a renowned pirate hunter probably opens a number of doors. But it shouldn't, by itself, be an invitation to your inner circle. Until I take the next step in solidifying our relationship you will likely limit my maximum relationship value.

So those are my initial insomnia generated thoughts. Please be sure to voice your own opinions as well.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2015, 04:34:39 AM »

My 2 cents:
- If reputation loss is gradual and slow, it can be possible to farm pirates/etc faster than you lose reputation, thus at least partially negating whole feature.
- Current system also allows to have positive reputation with more than 1 faction, even if not for a long time. Just buy off investigators of factions you care about (Heg and Tri-Tach). Alex mentioned, that this won't work more than several times in a row, and haven't played long enough to see what will change later.

Tomn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2015, 04:58:08 AM »

So I recently discovered something I hadn't understood before.  I was under the impression that the conviction system works by having friendly factions investigate you for ties to other factions you're friendly with because of divided loyalties, but it turns out that how conviction actually works is that if you're friendly with anyone at all, even one faction, then everyone else will come to hate you whether they're neutral or friendly with you.

The reason for my confusion was because since I was playing normally, i.e. chasing down bounties as they came without really caring about the source, every faction started investigating me for ties to every other faction simultaneously, which obscured the real source of the investigations.

Again, I understand that this is supposed to be a placeholder mechanic, but I really do think it needs to be a lot more upfront about how it works.  As it is someone just walking into the game is likely to have friendly relations with multiple factions due to bounty-hunting across borders, which means that when the convictions start hitting they won't really know why the convictions are happening or how to stop them - all they'll know is that suddenly everybody wants them dead on sight for unclear reasons, which is, well, frustrating to say the least.
Pages: 1 2 [3]