Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: [.53a.1] Green Sun & Other custom factions [Campaign and Missions]  (Read 111248 times)

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [Dev] Green Sun & Other custom factions [Campaign and Missions]
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 11:25:29 AM »

I had brief hope for some pirates with monocles, then. Ah well, maybe next time.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 04:40:09 PM »

I still need to actually test this, but I think I got it working so that it will be compatible with the other mode right off the bat. still got a number of pesky issues to sort out first.

Arghy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 04:58:29 PM »

Goddamnit i just started a new game with all the other mods working to--must add them all inside!

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 06:22:23 PM »

heh, it probably won't be ready till the weekend, so you have time to run through your current game

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 06:29:17 PM »

I'm playing vanilla starfarer right now, but definitely looking forward to this. Honestly, I'm a bit worried that we'll be stuck with only two factions and pirates for the vanilla game, but if there are mods like this, I've got a safety net.

Can't wait till ships get posts. Hope ballistics get some love in the cool department.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 07:09:06 PM »

I have a number of new ballistic and energy weapons, and a bunch of missiles (still trying to balance a pair of launchers, I might have to change them to medium slots), and a few weapons still to add. I feel I need more love for the non-missiles >.>. Came up with a rather interesting concept for a large-slot energy PD that I'm going to mess around with too, and I have a good sized list of ballistics I still want to add.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2012, 10:46:29 PM »

Ok, I've added in 4 new weapons, 2 energy PD (well, one is just a heavy-fied version of the other), and 2 ballistic high explosive. Will add pictures soon (next post maybe?)

Impulse blaster: This weapon, while it may not be as good at tracking enemies as a PD beam, will blast them out of space with a hail of wide (if not terribly accurate) energy pulses. While each pulse itself is distributed over a large area, and thus tends to vaporize only a very thin layer of a ship's armor which easily shrugs off the lower power density pulses, this wide-area explosion is significantly more powerful against hull internals due to the sudden force - the impulse, hence its name - against the weaker internal structure of the hull. Shields also take the full brunt of blocking each pulse and thus can be quickly overwhelmed by a number of impulse blasters firing in sync. As fighters and frigates tend to have only minimal armoring, and missiles have none, the pulses are very effective against them. Against a large capital ship, even one with comparatively thin armor the impulse blaster will be significantly less effective. The small size of the weapon's enclosure also leads to flux distribution issues, forcing it to stop firing after 20 pulses while the system resets. Physically, it is among the smaller medium-mount weapons, in fact, just slightly larger than the largest small energy turrets, but its relatively large internal flux distribution system underneath the turret proper to help it get back to firing as quickly as possible prevents it from fitting in a small slot.

Impulse projector: While the impulse projector fires its pulses no faster than its smaller sibling, and each pulse is only slightly more powerful than before, the projector is capable of firing continuously (thanks to its significantly larger turret housing which allows for superior flux distribution systems) over an appreciably larger range, sacrificing some of its accuracy. Because it allows for continuous fire though, it can quickly build up flux. It absolutely tears through missiles and fighters however, though it has an even worse time tracking small, perpendicularly moving targets than the blaster version, as the larger, heavier turret housing has an even harder time turning to face them, but under manual control, is definitely a very deadly weapon to even quick-moving frigates like the tempest. With its sustained hail of energy pulses, it can (relatively slowly) burn through thick armor, though its really put to best use directly attacking the hull or overloading the shields, as it can put out an impressive 600DPS in total pulses.

Fusion bolter: Heavy ballistic high-explosive weapons don't get much better than this. Combining the 'oomph' of a hellbore (well almost anyways), and the speedy projectiles of a hephaestus, the bolter is capable of blasting through the thickest armor in several rounds, without having to worry that the ship being targeted has run away. And while it can deliver more total firepower than the hephaestus or hellbore, it requires significantly more ordinance points to mount due to its larger magazine and complex quick-loading system, and can quickly burn through its supply of ammo, especially if wasted on shields.

Meteor cannon: Something of a miniature hephaestus precursor, the meteor cannon is essentially a smallish-medium mount that packs significant DPS... it works great against capital ships, though it more often than not fails to hit smaller, faster ships unless fired at near point-blank range due to its relatively low range. More modern assault guns tend to have larger magazines as well, but if one is short on ordinance points, and wants a cannon that can take on larger ships, the meteor is definitely a viable choice.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 10:55:33 PM »

Derp, forgot to get the meteor cannon. I'm sleepy, will do that later :P (maybe tomorrow)

For the impulse family weapons, still images hardly do them justice, because of how quickly the projectiles move and how quickly they spew out. The actual pulses tend to be... less discrete looking... in actual motion.

Fusion bolter:

Impulse blaster: (the ones firing, that kepler also has a pair of impulse projectors)

Impulse projector:

Arghy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 11:37:41 PM »

Proper dakka weapons are missing in this game--the more projectile weapons the better, nothing is more beautiful then my onslaught opening up all at once with nothing but projectile weapons! RUN THOSE MAGAZINES DRY!

medikohl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 11:44:12 PM »

steal my designs. they call to you.
"Captain! You can't call our greatest dreadnought 'The Parrot'"
"Watch me"
Spiral Arms: Ship Sprites for Everyone

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 01:45:11 AM »

Avan, Can i steal some of youre weapons ;D i need some placeholders for my bigger ships in my own mod, (and how Do you upload images  :D)

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2012, 09:15:09 PM »

Well, my mod isn't even out yet. For placeholders though, you can just use the existing weapon sprites, the game can resuse the same image across multiple weapons. You can use a site like photobucket.

I'm aiming for a release with weekend (my timezone, PST), but I'm not sure if that will happen since I still have a fair number of balance issues to weed out, and I have some RL things I need to take care of. On the plus side, I added another weapon (no screens this time) - the lancet beamer (similar in principal to the tachyon lance, though smaller, and with its own issues), and all the weapons have descriptions now! (Well, some of them are pretty lame, half-arsed ones, like "A reloading launch tube for the atropos torpedo." for, well, the atropos torpedo tube, though others are quite a bit more involved like the one for the chainpulse cannon "A popular modification of the extremely common autopulse cannon, the chainpulse cannon is nothing more than an autopulse cannon with a large number of systems trimmed off (often for resale or modifying ship hulls), which in some eyes creates a significantly more powerful weapon, though it loses many of the advantages of the original weapon in the process. By dropping the flux regulators (the same model used in the standardized ship flux vents in fact), the weapon is now able to fire continuously, though builds up flux at a dangerous rate; to prevent itself from exploding before the human crews can react and manually shut it down, other systems like the beam-guide and targeting system were taken off. While it still produces flux at a phenomenal rate, and has poor accuracy and range, the end result is a weapon no more expensive than the autopulse, dealing significantly more damage."

I also need to finish modifying the autopulse cannon sprite for the hyperpulse cannon, make sprites for all the small energy weapons still using the tac laser's graphic as a placeholder, as well as make a final call as to the slot size on the two torp. tubes, and make a patch mod (currently its implemented in the main data files) for the stock reaper torp. launcher which has a rotation speed of 0 [two variants have them in small missile turrets, and thus need the fix which won't be in until next version otherwise]... Descriptions for the ships probably won't be out until sometime after the initial release of the mod.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2012, 10:08:47 AM »

... ok, its been updated to be compatible with .51a, and I'm going to try to get it ready for a release sometime after my finals are over next week.

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2012, 10:23:05 AM »

Haha, forgot entirely about this mod. Now that I read up on it again, I once again cannot wait. ;D

Little Bluberry Bomb

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2012, 01:18:04 PM »

... :D
I was just thinking of this mod last night - very glad to see it hasn't been forgotten about. Been lurking and watching this since near the beginning and, with due respect to all the other modders (I certainly use a lot of their work) nothing gets me quite as giddy as the prospect of flying your fleets into battle.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13