Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: [.53a.1] Green Sun & Other custom factions [Campaign and Missions]  (Read 111176 times)

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums

Temporary Announcement:
Working on getting this mod updated for the latest version! (0.8a)
Sit tight, it's going to be a while before I can figure out how to overhaul all this stuff from around roughly half a decade ago to the most recent version!

There will probably be a good deal of graphical updates and shifting of ships & factions around due to the changes that have happened since this mod was first created.

==========================

Download link:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3061400/avanmodsv102.zip

Please ask before reusing content in one of your own mods.

CurrentStatus:
=Version 1.02: compatible with SFv0.53.1=
4 new campaign factions
3 new ship systems [More to come!]
32 new ships [More to come!]
35 new weapons (2 built-in) [More to come!]
12 new missions [More to come!]
Campaign compatible

Version history/roadmap:

1.1 - +2 new ship systems, +? new ships, +? new hullmods, +? new weapons, +2 new engine effects, +? new missions [in progress]

1.03 - updated pike graphics, changes to campaign spawnpoints, vanilla faction spawnpoints making use of new ships, +3 new ships (possibly more)

1.02 - 0.53a.1 variant update & balance patch; +1 new campaign faction, +3 new ships, +4 (+2) new weapons (2 built-in), some updated graphics, stuff being actively rebalanced

1.01 - 0.53a compatibility update, +3 new ship systems

1.0 - initial release

(Post under construction!)

The ships: (Warning, large image)

Spoiler

[close]

==Factions & Ships==
NOTE: the list contains only current or ships to be released in the next update; as a result, this list will change and grow in size over time.

=Ceredia=

Ceredian ships are large pre-autofactory designs, covered in some of the thickest armor around, don't come with shields by default, and rely entirely on missiles and ballistic weapons. Their surfaces tend to be pockmarked with heavily armored flux vents. Ceredian military philosophy tends to revolve around "more" - more armor, more guns, more gun-size, more ships, more force. Considering that they ended up with the shortest end of the technology stick, they didn't exactly have much in the way of options. Still, they got it to work quite well...

Unique ships:

Fighters
Gnat - these are small, pesky little fighters like their namesake. They can deliver a ridiculous amount of damage for their size and cost, and can be hard to take out with non-flak-like point defense systems. However the moment a flak cannon shows up, they are toast - the large Firestorm flak cannons can take out a while wing with a well-positioned shot. They tend towards having very high crew mortality rates if mishandled as a result of their flimsy hulls. They epitomize a 'kill before you are killed' philosophy.

Frigates
Javelin - this model of frigate is a relatively compact frigate with a good sized flux reserve; its stock configuration fits it with N33 artillery guns, which while they may be old and pale in comparison to the damage outputs of even 'traditionally old' weapons, they have a nearly unparalleled reach for their size, letting the Javelins strike even modern ships that rely on kiting as they retreat to vent.

Martin - this frigate is rather unique in that it is a carrier; it sports a good amount of weapon slots as well, though given the relatively anemic flux stats of this ship, they tend to be used exclusively for PD. The small carrier is mainly used for servicing Gnats, and keeping near the wings it services to allow them respite quickly if damaged.

Destroyers

Mace - this ship is often outfitted for close combat given its heavy armor, but there are some variants fielded with N33/N34s.

Ocelot - Its a destroyer, with a spot for a large ballistic turret! For when you need heavy firepower brought out relatively cheaply and quickly. As a destroyer though, it is still relatively vulnerable.

Cruisers

None yet.

Capships

Lion - Designed after the old sea-faring battleships, capable of bringing a large number of guns to bear in any one direction. It tends to fill up its flux caps quickly, resulting from its narrow form.

=The Directorate=

Directorate ships rely on heavy defenses to stay alive, and generally end up with overly high OP counts paired with anemic slot sizes or quantities. They have high levels of automation, and thus often require very few crew, and several of the smaller ones are completely automated drone ships (these are still outfitted with a manual command system, allowing them to be manually commanded).

Unique ships:

Fighters

Raven - a drone phase interceptor designed to evade the more powerful weapons of fighters, while having enough firepower to take on missiles and other interceptors handily.

Asp - a hunter drone fitted with a cascade disruptor; it can deal a massive amount of damage in a short amount of time (it lacks the flux reserves to fire all 12 shots at once though), and is quite fast; it is primarily meant for taking out frigates, heavy fighters, and lighter destroyers.

Frigates

Amanita - a long-range scout/recon drone frigate outfitted with a phase skimmer; it only has 3 small weapon slots (two of which are hardpoints), but it has speed matched by only significantly more expensive frigates, and a reactor just shy of a hyperion's.

Destroyers

Axon [WIP] - a heavily shielded and armored logistics freighter; its designed to accompany Directorate fleets, and while it does trade some capacity for its defensive abilities and is by no means a combat vessel, it has much better survivability than most other freighters. This is aided by an emergency escape overdrive system, similar to the burn drive but disabling weapons instead of shields.

Cruisers

Synapse [WIP] - a general-purpose cruiser, weighing in with only 3 medium and 7 small energy turrets, but a large array of electromagnetic discharge nodes at the that can fry surrounding ships and missiles with ease.

Capships

None yet.

=Green Sun Pirates=

Unique ships:

Fighters

Frigates

Destroyers

Rhino - something of an oddball ship, this destroyer appears to be a prototype from around the time of the collapse, with a large armored body and fortress shield with the readily available buffalo engines tacked on to drive it around.

Cruisers

Capships

Atlas II - a  convert of the Atlas. In contrast to the Atlas (which flies like an anvil, bruises like an overripe banana, and has a tiny shield as a joke), the Atlas II flies like a brick, bruises like a ripe banana, and might actually get the chance to make use of its shields. Aww, who are we kidding, those shields are still a joke. It also has 4 flight decks and a huge quantity of slots for point defenses. It also has a large amount of small missile slots, allowing it to empty a large quantity of missiles all at once in the face of an encroaching capship or cruiser.

Atlas III - a somewhat more respectable convert of the Atlas. It flies like a brick with thrusters, bruises like a slightly-less-ripe banana, and can take a few hits to its (still dinky) shields on a good day. It also ditches one of the flight decks for improved weapons capability, including a large energy turret.

=Isora=

[info coming later]

Unique ships:

Fighters

Frigates

Destroyers

Cruisers

Capships

=Other New Ships=

[info coming later]

------------------- Original post -------------------
I am finally going to be releasing my ships and missions soon (though development will hardly end there)! ;D After all, its been over half a year for a good number of them, so really, it is about time for a release. I currently have a few last ships I need to finish for some missions I'm still making, a number of weapons missing graphics [they are all using placeholders], as well as having to write the system gen files for the mod; I might have to end up waiting for the next version of starfarer though because it would otherwise conflict with TT-station & Junk Pirates.

Anyways, this mod will add a large number of missions, a Green Sun station, possibly a Ceredian station, a truly independent station [hostile only to standard pirates (GSP are tech pirates, and generally don't see independent traders as being very inviting targets. Tri-Tachyon on the other hand...)], many new purchasable and captureable ships and weapons.

Was saving this announcement for my 1000th post >.>

I'll be posting blurbs on some of the factions, and reposting my blurbs on the ships later. I'll probably release the mod before I have all the codex descriptions done btw, since doing all of them will likely take a while.

Ok, it sure is late and I'm really sleepy, so I should play couple more battles and then go to sleep.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 12:20:44 PM by Avan »

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [Dev] Green Sun & Other custom factions [Campaign and Missions]
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 01:00:12 AM »

This is a great day indeed.

Really looking forward to it!

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 06:25:56 PM »

Ok, got the system gen stuff working, at least in sort of an interim format until alex fixes the glitches

Factions that will be present in the upcoming release:

Isora (pale yellow/tan): Midline, some high-tech
Green Sun (dark green?): Low tech, some midline, some high tech
Ceredia (orange): Ancient, some low-tech

Each will have their own station which will sell their ships and weapons.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 11:13:47 PM »

Well, they are almost all pretty much working (though the fleet commands and compositions are still very wonky; ie, I was too lazy to change the ceredian fleets to properly guard their station instead of "attacking" it, but w/e - I'll fix that up down the line)

I might add in some random cult of lud spawns too.

Currently, the stations can now stock any of the weapons I have added, and all the non-dummied out ships can be purchased in at least one station (now including the omen point defense frigate... even if it is a bit... pointless.  ;) )

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 11:25:59 PM »

Very exciting. Always love your work.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 11:29:20 PM »

Oh, here's a very zoomed out screenshot showing the factions currently implemented in the campaign (mostly to show that they are in fact implemented, and the different colors)

Metadi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 12:45:48 AM »

Dangit Avan, you sure know how to hype a mod! I'm almost as excited for this as i was for 0.5a. :P Also, somewhat unrelated but are you a dev for Transcendence? I loved that game!

Arghy

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 03:00:46 AM »

Will we be able to zoom that far out ingame? its a horror to travel to the current outer planets on the map it would take hours with a big fleet to traverse that system without being able to click and read hehe. It would be a dream to be able to click on a planet/station then have your fleet automatically path towards it.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 07:09:12 AM »

Metadi: Heh thanks, and while no, I'm not a core dev (Currently George is the only active one, Gambit was working on a linux port, but that was abandoned in favor of just using Wine, now that it runs well enough on it), I am one of the community admin there, and am working on developing something of a massive content expansion pack with some gameplay/balance overhauls and changes for its larger scale & functionality (more than doubling the content of the base game). I'm also working on developing an official extension to the game as well, though that's currently on hold while I wait for George to implement more features I need. I've worked pretty closely with George to ensure a high degree of canon and functionality compatibility, and a number of the things I've modded have been almost directly translated into something in the core game itself (similar to how my mission 'Survival' inspired 'Forlorn Hope' in 0.5a of starfarer). I also hold the record for largest number of bugs found there too ;)

Arghy: You'd have to ask alex, or just play in devmode all the time. I think though that we won't, because of perf. issues (though I'm guessing its more to do with rendering inefficiencies than anything else)

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 07:30:40 AM »

ok! I came up with a work around for the getentitybyname problem; I will create a token at 0,0 and the have all the stations effictively orbit the sun instead of planets.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 10:31:13 AM »

Ok, I changed the format over, so now all the stations are orbiting the sun. There are also now cult of lud (yellow) spawns that will raid the system (initially neutral to the player, hegemony and ceredia, but hostile to all others); they spawn off the map, like the convoys, though in their own location.

Going to soon split the file into its own generator after some more testing, now that there are no dependencies on planets, and will test compatibility then.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 10:41:06 AM »

Looks like it's shaping up great - looking forward to the release!

... There are also now cult of lud (yellow) spawns ...

Would you mind calling them something else? They're, as you know, planned for the campaign, and my Starfarer toes feel stepped on :)

XpanD

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 10:46:37 AM »

I can't wait for this to come out! Always interesting to see more factions and the like being added. Good luck with it. :)

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 11:16:43 AM »

Ah, well they weren't in yet, so I was assuming they were fair game in the meanwhile.  ;)

I suppose I'll give their spawn point to some well-off pirates (lower spawn rate, but higher grade ships)

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 11:23:30 AM »

oh wait, I have a better idea... [I realized that said pirates would probably be too dangerous for the early game player, so for a single-system campaign, they wouldn't really work well] Might not make it in time for the first release.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13