Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Print-screen button crash  (Read 2431 times)

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
Print-screen button crash
« on: November 19, 2015, 03:31:28 PM »

So I just enter a the Jangala market, browsing military ships, and I spot the onslaught with a pretty awesome paintjob. I figured I'd take a screen shot, but then this crash happens. I repeated it thrice, and it seems to happen everytime I hit my print-screen button on my keyboard.
The last few lines of the .log are below.
Spoiler
902963 [Thread-5] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.events.CoreEventProbabilityManager  - Decreasing smuggling investigation probability for Jangala by 2.7500018E-5, is now 0.011406848

930844 [Thread-5] INFO  sound.F  - Cleaned buffer for sound music (using cast)

931058 [Thread-5] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
   at sun.misc.Unsafe.allocateMemory(Native Method)
   at java.nio.DirectByteBuffer.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at java.nio.ByteBuffer.allocateDirect(Unknown Source)
   at org.lwjgl.BufferUtils.createByteBuffer(BufferUtils.java:60)
   at com.fs.starfarer.util.O0OO.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$2.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
[close]
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Print-screen button crash
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 03:34:43 PM »

Thanks for the report! Hmm. What resolution are you running at?

Also, might I get a copy of your save to see if something went wrong with it? Or do you get the crash outside the campaign as well? If so, then the save isn't necessary.

ArkAngel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 03:38:23 PM »

I'm using 1600x900, and the crash only takes place during the campaign. Screenshots during missions, and the main menu screen are fine. I'll grab the save in a moment.
Edit: Sent the save.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 03:44:54 PM by ArkAngel »
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 03:40:34 PM »

Thanks - if you can send it to fractalsoftworks [at] gmail [dot] com, that'd be real handy.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 03:50:49 PM »

Got it, thanks - hmm. Not crashing for me, so it doesn't look like anything's wrong with the save specifically.

Couple of things to try, if you don't mind:
1. Does it still crash if you run the game without sound? If so, what about at a lower resolution?
2. A clean reinstall (after copying your save off somewhere) might be worth a shot, too. Maybe old parameters in vmparams or some such.

ArkAngel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 03:57:02 PM »

It doesn't crash, when sound is turned off, it also doesn't crash on a lower resolution.
I can try re-installing it in a moment.

Edit: So it turns out, a new install with the old save doesn't crash. I'm kind of confused on why the crash was happening now.
Edit2: I was wrong about the fresh install it seems. It's crashing once more.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 04:20:29 PM by ArkAngel »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 04:51:03 PM »

Weirdness. Can you try editing your vmparams and changing both places where it says "512" to "1024"?

ArkAngel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 05:52:17 PM »

Do you mean this? -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -Xss1024k
Because it doesn't say 512 anywhere. Those are the only things close to the numbers in vmparams.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 06:12:27 PM »

Right, sorry, I got a bit mixed up. Try changing the first two of these (the ones that end with "m") to 1500 each.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 07:18:32 PM »

Right, sorry, I got a bit mixed up. Try changing the first two of these (the ones that end with "m") to 1500 each.
I'm PRETTY sure that is gonna crash if he isn't using 64 bit java as I THINK I hit the max around 1300
Edit: 1184 Megs is the absolute MAX you can go without switching to 64 bit java and at 1500 it won't even open the launcher (at least for me)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 07:23:15 PM by Midnight Kitsune »
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

ArkAngel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 07:29:09 PM »

Yeah... I wasn't able to open the launcher when I tried. I wasn't sure if I did it wrong, or what, but kitsune summedd it up pretty well.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 07:39:48 PM »

Ah, ok, thank you. Does it still crash when you put it at 1184, then? Honestly, I'm not entirely sure what's going on.