Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New Missile Weapons  (Read 2345 times)

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
New Missile Weapons
« on: November 19, 2015, 11:52:28 AM »

before i'm diving into a new campaign game now, i had a look at the two new large missile weapons in the codex. their descriptions and stats look pretty damn awesome, can't wait to try them out in the campaign, together with the Gryphon! \o/

buuuut... no new LRM. with Hurricane MIRVs now being changed to MRMs, the only vanilla LRMs are Pilums. q_q

i feel kinda bad immediately posting some negative criticism when there are so many new shiny things to discover, but i don't like this at all. especially since even the Pilums are primarily a support weapon, not one designed to really do much damage. as mentioned in the other thread, i would really like to see more LRM choices, and a powerful large-only LRM could also give large-missile slots a more unique role. the two new ones we just got do look powerful, but their role (from what i can tell so far) seems to be something like "upscaled version of Swarmers/Sabots".

i wonder if Alex decided that LRMs are just not a good idea to have in SS at all?

oh, and, on a sidenote, the Locust's description seems to imply that it does fragmentation damage ("will have little relative effect unless shields and armor are already breached") despite it being a high-explosive weapon. maybe it was meant as anti-fighter-only weapon in an earlier build? frag dmg would help to further differentiate it from both Swarmers and Hurricanes, but sacrifcing a large slot for such a niche role might not be worth it. hmm.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: New Missile Weapons
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 12:01:34 PM »

i wonder if Alex decided that LRMs are just not a good idea to have in SS at all?

More or less, at least not ones you can rely on to actually do damage - though that's been the case for a long time, and isn't a new decision (barring the old Hurricane, yes, but it didn't see very much use, wasn't very long-range, and is much more effective in its new role). Pilums are more support than damage, as you point out. I'm not sure a large version of the same would be very interesting, and a large version that dealt lots of reliable damage would be trouble balance-wise.

In a similar vein, the Tachyon Lance's range is now lower, too. Just stepping back from beyond-visual-range engagements in general; neat idea that's just got too many problems.

oh, and, on a sidenote, the Locust's description seems to imply that it does fragmentation damage ("will have little relative effect unless shields and armor are already breached") despite it being a high-explosive weapon. maybe it was meant as anti-fighter-only weapon in an earlier build? frag dmg would help to further differentiate it from both Swarmers and Hurricanes, but sacrifcing a large slot for such a niche role might not be worth it. hmm.

It's basically meant as a "large Swarmer"; the description refers to its low base damage (which means lower damage vs armor), although it's still quite effective vs frigate and perhaps even destroyer-level armor.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 12:58:40 PM »

makes me a bit sad, but i can definitely see the argument against long range weapons :/

i think i'd still like to see a large Pilum or something similar. like maybe 5k range, slow and easy to shoot down like the Pilum, does only emp damage. something that also fulfills the long range support role, without being exactly the same. despite my complaint above, Pilums do still seem useful, and i feel it's a bit strange that medium slots are the only ones that have anything remotely like it (and just putting a Pilum in a large slot seems like a bit of a waste, unless i need the saved OP^^).

thanks for the quick clarifications, appreciated! :]

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 01:03:57 PM »

i think i'd still like to see a large Pilum or something similar. like maybe 5k range, slow and easy to shoot down like the Pilum, does only emp damage. something that also fulfills the long range support role, without being exactly the same. despite my complaint above, Pilums do still seem useful, and i feel it's a bit strange that medium slots are the only ones that have anything remotely like it (and just putting a Pilum in a large slot seems like a bit of a waste, unless i need the saved OP^^).

Yeah, I can see what you're saying. Well, never say never; it's not like this is intended to be the final word on missile slots. It might be, but then it might not.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 01:17:43 PM »

it might not.
YAY, LRM nukes confirmed!!1 \o/

:3