Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Halted progression in campaign, can't seem to catch a fleet I can handle  (Read 2335 times)

Rehevkor

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I have a fairly small fleet and I'm trying to hunt down pirates to expand it. Unfortunately, finding suitable targets has become very difficult. The only fleets I can actually catch and engage are much too large and powerful for me to have any chance of winning. The similar-size and smaller fleets always run away from me, and I don't see any way to catch them.

Is there some trick to catching a fleet that's faster than you? Am I looking in the wrong place for enemy fleets to engage or something? Or maybe there's some kind of speed upgrade I need?

Loving the game so far, but I seem to have hit a wall with progression. I can fly around and look at the pretty stars, or get blown up.

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Halted progression in campaign, can't seem to catch a fleet I can handle
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 12:01:50 AM »

Sell some of your ships and go after smaller fleets again level up your crew earn money and then buy more awesome ships so you can take on larger fleets.

j01

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 12:53:25 AM »

Tips for catching fleets that run away from you:

If you make liberal use of the pause button (spacebar) and hover your cursor over them, you can see what their target is when they aren't fleeing from you. Often they will be "attacking orbital station" or somesuch, so you know they'll be going for the station when you aren't too close to them.

If you click the space next to them instead of clicking ON the fleet, travel diagonally instead of straight towards them, and sometimes outright head in the opposite direction as them, they will often veer back and quickly head towards their regular objective. This is a good time to (again without clicking on them) head back towards them, and often you can touch them just before they turn away, and THEN click on them, causing an engagement.

It can often be helpful to position your enemy between you and one or more groups of your allied fleets, giving them more obstacles to avoid and increasing your chances of catching them as they fumble around and try to change directions.

If you chase a fleet to the very edge of the map, they can't go any farther and you can corner them. This works especially well in the actual corners of the galaxy map.

I've used these methods to catch single-frigate-fleets while I'm a dozen onslaughts strong and my max speed is like 102, so it isn't impossible; It is just tedious.

SurplusDOS

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 02:19:18 AM »

Yeah, it's just manipulation of the enemy's ships at the moment. I really hope it will be improved, I'm not all that good at space tango.

Steven Shi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 02:53:31 AM »

The space tango will improve according Alex. For now, if you find intercepts hard to manage simply camp directly on the planet the pirates are spawning. Most scouting fleets will fly into the planet and you regardless and any newly spawned fleet is yours to engage immediately.

The risk is encountering the top tier pirate fleet but those a fairly rare and easy to 'retreat' from once engaged. 

Hope this helps.