Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Fitting the Wolf  (Read 19883 times)

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Fitting the Wolf
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 07:29:12 PM »

A mix of tac lasers/lr pd weapons and a main beam weapon usually does me well. i prefer the slow and steady way of killing my enemies, it is a bit safer ;)

anything i can't break the flux dissipation of i fire harpoons at.

Lucian Greymark

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 09:56:17 PM »

Personally I pilot the wolf (only), and as such slap a single phase lance, three tac lasers and two harpoon racks. That does the job in about 99% of cases, even being able to go up against some cruisers if you're careful with your flux, tends to run out of combat readiness before you kill auroras though.

So yeah... that

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 02:06:57 PM »

AI Wolves are far too fragile and disposable to put heavy blasters on them, so they get either a pulse laser or phase lance mounted in the nose.

Side mounts are almost always burst PD, very occasionally vanilla (not LR) PD lasers.
The foward small mount is either an ion cannon, IRPL or tac laser.
Missiles are:
Salmanders for pursuit/support.
Reapers for breaking things than need to be broken right now.
Annihilators for breaking things on a shoestring.
Otherwise Harpoons as they are decent at everything.

Hull mods: Insulated engines, blast doors, integrated targetting. Stabilised shields and hull reinforcement are nice, but there isn't room for them until you fill up your tech skills.
Max vents and any remaining points into capacitors.

If you're running SS+ you can sub one of the missiles for a flare launcher and swap the PD for more guns.
The flare launcher also makes the Wolf (D) quite useable by giving it some much needed PD capability, leaving the only problem being the reduced OP and a need to fill up on vents and capacitors to counter the negative mods.
Not optimal by any means, but makes a fair bit of difference if you're pirating and can only get hold of the rubbish ones.
The Wolf (D) is one of the two "broken" ships I don't have a problem using.

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2015, 07:42:00 PM »

Very similar to other builds of wolf mine utilizes a heavy blaster to maximize damage during its short CR lifespan. It requires tech 10 and combat 10, but you'll be able to use a nearly as good a version (with the same armament) much earlier than that.  This is for soloing low tech fleets like pirates and Hegemony.

I'd recommend avoiding fighter heavy fleets because they're a big pain in the butt for little pay off. Also keep your fleet DP below 40 so you don't have to deal with cap points.

As a side benefit you can prey on pirates without bounties and still get a net gain in supplies. Very useful early on when you can't afford the fuel to chase bounties.

Image:
Spoiler

This build assumes you'll be piloting it. It does ok in AI hands, but they don't vent as often as players can. If the AI is going to be the one spending the most time piloting the wolf then i recommend swapping the heavy blaster for the pulse laser and adding in another PD laser probably dropping a couple vents.
[close]
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.

Tschudy

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2015, 04:46:08 PM »

Until I can get my hands on a lilith to throw into the omnifactory, I usually tool out a pack of Wolves with tactical PD lasers, atropos torpedos, and whatever I can fit into the forward energy slot, usually an antimatter blaster  usually has no problem putting down a capital ship if i can get 6 to 8 frigates to focus their fire on one ship, instead of wasting their torpedos on mules.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2015, 11:42:00 AM »

CopperCoyote

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2015, 11:51:36 AM »

atropos torpedos
People use those?

I do very rarely. Mostly for AIs to use. In the context of the wolf i use them when i need more umph against low tech enemies. Well mostly just when i want to kill lots of onslaughts. Pair it with lots of swarmers and annihilators to tie up PD.
Itches are scratched. Back-rubs are savored.
Pages: 1 [2]