Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: I really want to ***** the AI  (Read 6113 times)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: I really want to ***** the AI
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2015, 12:07:22 PM »

By the time we get officers, we will have a Tachyon Lance that is not a Tachyon Lance anymore, just an overpriced Phase Lance knockoff with less range than Gauss Cannon.
So you'd rather tickle the enemy to death with the old, almost useless TL instead of frying them with the more powerful one
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2015, 12:51:55 PM »

By the time we get officers, we will have a Tachyon Lance that is not a Tachyon Lance anymore, just an overpriced Phase Lance knockoff with less range than Gauss Cannon.
So you'd rather tickle the enemy to death with the old, almost useless TL instead of frying them with the more powerful one
Naw, I'd like to be able to obliterate 2-3 enemy frigates before they even get into engagement ranges, and dare any survivors to lower their shields anywhere in the battle.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2015, 01:08:47 PM »

If it is 300 DPS, 1000 range (but no hard flux to shields), and costs 32 OP, I may prefer Plasma Cannon (much more DPS and hard flux for 300 less range) or much more efficient medium weapons (such as two Phase Lances for 20 OP or two Heavy Blasters for 24 OP) instead.  Why should I pay triple OP costs for +50% more damage and a little more range?

Ballistics do not have that much markup for +50% or more damage when upgrading from medium to heavy.

Part of the fun of Tachyon Lance is sniping at (or getting sniped at from) the other side of the map, further than sensor range, especially weak targets.  Losing flux supercharge without anything to compensate just made it too weak.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2015, 01:36:38 PM »

The new TL has almost as much burst damage as the Plasma Cannon (as much as the current one), but costs only 400flux/s instead of 1125. Then there is the perfect precision, good range and the EMP effect, so I'd say if you have any assistance in bringing down enemy shields the TL is superior. Might be great against frigates, too.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 01:50:00 PM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2015, 01:58:28 PM »

Sunder probably cannot afford Tachyon Lance without giving up too much.  Apogee probably has nothing else to cause hard flux without getting into melee range (due to awkward mounts).  Odyssey will need to use lots of IR pulse lasers if heavy weapons cannot cause hard flux.  So that leaves Paragon, which can already focus-fire six or eight high-powered medium weapons to melt most things instantly.

The only ship I can see that can bring down shield on its own, then finish off with Tachyon Lance, is Paragon (and maybe Sunder, if I give up Vulcans for PD).
Pages: 1 [2]