Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Star Conquest (WIP)  (Read 20156 times)

sycspysycspy

• Commander
  • Translator of the Council of AL
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8a] Star Conquest (WIP)
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2017, 08:17:03 AM »

To be honest, this one looks like having a pair of censored boobs.
Please report any translation error to me with PM.
- I just went over to my bank account and figured out I can live comfortably without working for the rest of my life as long as I die on next Tuesday.

Mongreal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2017, 09:40:26 AM »

Well well well. That wasn't intended. Actually, I was more afraid that someone might say "it looks like a ***", so it's not that bad if it's only censored boobs. You didn't played S.P.A.Z back then ?

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2017, 07:26:35 PM »

I noticed the Northern Throne Fleet has six name collisions with vanilla. Three of which even share a size class with their vanilla counterparts.

Mongreal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2017, 09:06:23 AM »

Yup, and you certainly noticed that on most of the "recent" posts, I specified that thoses conflicting name will be changed, both thoses conflicting with vanilla and thoses conflicting with other mods. But, at this moment, I don't have any name idea for them, but I needed to have something more specific than "ship_1.ship" "ship_2.ship" in my files to easily recognize which .ship goes with which actual ship.
If you have any name suggestion, I'll be happy to hear them :)

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2017, 10:13:39 AM »

Nice to see this coming along.

PyroFuzz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2017, 02:26:32 PM »

Looks amazing! I can't wait for it to be released!  ;D
Hello!

Mongreal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2017, 10:19:54 AM »

Well, it's going to take tons of work before a release, especially since I'm slowly learning how to write some plugins and get stuck ten times a day on thoses.
I'll continue to draw some sprite, even if with the heat don't really help in my room, at least I really get back to it at the end of this summer

PyroFuzz

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2017, 08:27:07 PM »

So are you gonna update the main post? or just gonna keep on adding new posts?
Hello!

Mongreal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2017, 04:24:19 AM »

So are you gonna update the main post? or just gonna keep on adding new posts?
Actually, since I'm still not happy with the content of the mod, I'll add small updates in this form. Once I'll get a working version, with at least some missions to test the ships, some weapons for each faction, I'll update the main post with everything that's needed and a download link.
At the moment, my work eat up basically all the time that I have, which slow the progress I manage to make each week.

Mongreal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Star Conquest (WIP)
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2020, 01:09:20 PM »

Hi there.

I haven't been working on this since a few months (I'm really just going back and forth with it, depending on how work's going on my side).
While it's slow, it's still progressing, sprite after sprite and script failure after script failure.
On this point, if anyone's interested and kind enough to teach me some tricks, I have to admit that I really need it. Scripting easy stuff seems fine, but anything beside projectile spawning is trully out of my reach.

Edit : I'm well aware of the problem with names in this mod. I'll work on it before any release, which could take a while, since there is some stuff I'd like to ask to other mod authors, and still a long way to go for two of the four planned factions.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 01:11:12 PM by Mongreal »

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2020, 05:51:24 PM »

What help did you need? You can PM me if you have questions or I'll try and check this thread every once in a while.

I've heard discord has a dedicated learning section as well where you can ask questions and get help from experienced modders, but I haven't really checked that out yet myself.

Mongreal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2020, 08:06:40 AM »

What help did you need? You can PM me if you have questions or I'll try and check this thread every once in a while.

I've heard discord has a dedicated learning section as well where you can ask questions and get help from experienced modders, but I haven't really checked that out yet myself.

Hmm, actually the mod has some flesh (there is about 65 unique ships in total), the main help I'll need is on both the scripting for non-vanilla weapons, hullmod and systems effects, as well as everything that on the campaign side, adding new star systems, planets, fleets, faction and such, has I mainly focused on ships and weapons since the beginning in 2017. If what you have seen in the main post seems interesting to you, I'll gratefully accept your help when I end up stuck on some scripts

Where can I find the Discord link ? That may help a lot too, since I'm always connected when I'm working on the mod, that'll be helpfull too !

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2020, 10:56:48 AM »

Hmm, actually the mod has some flesh (there is about 65 unique ships in total), the main help I'll need is on both the scripting for non-vanilla weapons, hullmod and systems effects, as well as everything that on the campaign side, adding new star systems, planets, fleets, faction and such, has I mainly focused on ships and weapons since the beginning in 2017. If what you have seen in the main post seems interesting to you, I'll gratefully accept your help when I end up stuck on some scripts

Where can I find the Discord link ? That may help a lot too, since I'm always connected when I'm working on the mod, that'll be helpfull too !

The first place I would go for campaign stuff is Vayra's Modding Tutorial.

If you scroll down towards the bottom it discusses generating planets/new systems, etc. It will seem complicated at first but once you get the hang of it you will be able to see how a lot of the campaign pieces interact. That will be useful for adding scripts to the campaign later on as well. Also see King Alfonzo's Guide to adding faction fleets.

If you haven't, I'd highly recommend setting up an IDE to compile your code into a jar. In my experience it will also make things a lot easier and faster in the long run and save you some real headaches. You can search for methods more easily without having to constantly search through the API documentation and it will do useful things like auto-importing classes or telling you about basic errors.

A few guides exist to help you but they are dated so you might not be able to follow them line for line. I personally use IntelliJ so I can probably help you with that but I'm on an older version (IntelliJ IDEA Community Edition 2017.1.4 x64) for my own convenience so things are definitely a little different on the newest version. The concepts are likely the same though.

IDE Guides:
Kazi's IntelliJ Tutorial
TJJ's Eclipse Tutorial
LazyWizard's Netbeans Tutorial

I don't think much documentation exists for weapon scripting and I haven't really done that myself so I will be of no help there most likely. For hullmods and ship systems my advice is to look at vanilla's implementation as an example and keep it simple at first until you have the basics down. I just started doing more complex stuff like rendering graphics, etc, in my hullmods and it can get pretty involved.

Finally, here is the discord link for when you run into issues.

Hope all this helps! I know it might seem a bit overwhelming at first, but keep at it and it will pay off!  :)

Mongreal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2020, 11:08:50 AM »

I'm bookmarking thoses links for ulterior consultation, thanks.

Already running on IntelliJ since the first attempt at scripting, most of the stuff I try out is made that way, even if, most of the time, I don't really know what I'm doing (even when looking in the API doc). My guess is that most of my mistakes comes from a wrong understanding of the engine or misordered loops and "if".

I joined the Discord, dunno when I'll try to ask around there, probably next time I end up stuck on something for a week.
Yeah, using any graphics rendering with hullmod seems pretty complicated, even from first glance x)

Thanks for the answer, by the way
Pages: 1 2 [3]