Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone a game dev here?  (Read 7646 times)

gruberscomplete

• Captain
    • View Profile
Anyone a game dev here?
« on: October 20, 2015, 03:32:54 PM »

Hi,

I've been messing around in unity 3d and got character movement and animation to work.

Has anyone ever done AI with A*? I have tried but characters dont move after adding "seeker" component.

And I'm not even getting into networking... But honestly my inspiration would be Planetside 2, the thousands of players online in one area.

Would be nice to see fellow game devs!
Click here for FREE ships!               Plentysector               Robots With Souls

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone a game dev here?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 04:41:52 PM »

Well I'm pretty sure a whole bunch of us have messed around with game dev stuff and made standalone small games/demos, but I'm not aware of anyone full time in the business except for Alex and David.

I haven't played around in unity 3d that much, but is there a reason you are using an A* implementation rather than the default pathfinding? The default looks quite easy to use, though I have no idea on its limitations. Manual link: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/nav-CreateNavMeshAgent.html

My answering question for A* however: after you've installed the component, are you providing the object with a target destination?

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 04:55:45 PM »

I don't do full time dev, and some weeks it isn't really even part-time, but slowly I am building a full commercial game called Sigil.  No engine, just LWJGL and elbow grease.

stardidi

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 12:00:17 PM »

I am currently studying game programming and have been fairly active with programming for quite some years now. Although no real finished products yet.

We'll be starting a team project with Unity in a month, but haven't done anything fancy with it yet.

gruberscomplete

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 12:09:07 PM »

Well I'm pretty sure a whole bunch of us have messed around with game dev stuff and made standalone small games/demos, but I'm not aware of anyone full time in the business except for Alex and David.

I haven't played around in unity 3d that much, but is there a reason you are using an A* implementation rather than the default pathfinding? The default looks quite easy to use, though I have no idea on its limitations. Manual link: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/nav-CreateNavMeshAgent.html

My answering question for A* however: after you've installed the component, are you providing the object with a target destination?

honestly, I followed the guide from their website exactly, but gameobject doesn't move. So I'll check out unity 3d's navmesh.

The most annoying thing with A* is that it was made for Unity 4.6 . but after Unity 5 came out it no longer works.

It is advertised as a much better option than unity's built-in navmesh which is why I tried it at all.
Click here for FREE ships!               Plentysector               Robots With Souls

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2015, 12:29:23 PM »

The most annoying thing with A* is that it was made for Unity 4.6 . but after Unity 5 came out it no longer works.

It is advertised as a much better option than unity's built-in navmesh which is why I tried it at all.
Be very careful with Asset Store stuff, people tend to get screwed over one way or another. (And I'm saying this as an Asset Store publisher, though I try my best not to screw people.) Either it's not what you expect, it's incompatible with your project in some way, offers no technical support, or it receives no regular compatibility updates. Don't get me wrong, the Asset Store is a great way to save time, but there's always the risk that you're just wasting your money.

---

A project I've been working on for the past ~6 months or so, getting fairly close to a public demo and Steam Greenlight:

I'll also be at GDC 2016 in March, not sure if anyone else here is going.

Spoorthuzad

• Captain
  • Looking right into your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2015, 12:44:05 PM »

Spoiler
A project I've been working on for the past ~6 months or so, getting fairly close to a public demo and Steam Greenlight:

[close]

For some strange reason that game reminds me of starsector :p
Looks nice!
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 02:04:09 PM by spoortje1 »

Psiyon

• Admiral
  • Trippy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 01:05:21 PM »

Looks nice!
lol, Starsector has definitely had a pretty big influence on how I'm portraying things visually, but gameplay-wise, they have exceptionally little in common. Starsector is a big, open-world sandbox RPG, while Disunity (my game) is strictly a single-layer RTS, somewhat more akin to the Homeworld series.

Here's a picture of the system map:

Each of those little areas you see is its own battlespace, centered on an object of interest (Usually will be planets, or any other populated entity). Fleets can move around within them freely, but if they need to get somewhere else, they'll have to do a short FTL jump. Not sure if anyone remembers, but in the last iteration of my Obsidian Void mod, I changed Starsector's hyperspace system into something pretty similar. There was no real hyperspace travel, just direct jumps to other planets. This sort of mirrors that to an extent. Actually, come to think of it, it's sort of similar to Sins of a Solar Empire, except without needing any silly "links" between planets.

gruberscomplete

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 02:18:15 PM »

Looks nice!
lol, Starsector has definitely had a pretty big influence on how I'm portraying things visually, but gameplay-wise, they have exceptionally little in common. Starsector is a big, open-world sandbox RPG, while Disunity (my game) is strictly a single-layer RTS, somewhat more akin to the Homeworld series.

Here's a picture of the system map:

Each of those little areas you see is its own battlespace, centered on an object of interest (Usually will be planets, or any other populated entity). Fleets can move around within them freely, but if they need to get somewhere else, they'll have to do a short FTL jump. Not sure if anyone remembers, but in the last iteration of my Obsidian Void mod, I changed Starsector's hyperspace system into something pretty similar. There was no real hyperspace travel, just direct jumps to other planets. This sort of mirrors that to an extent. Actually, come to think of it, it's sort of similar to Sins of a Solar Empire, except without needing any silly "links" between planets.

looks nice.
It reminds me of all the tons of space games I have played recently.
Also your game reminds me of these games: galactical, flash trek broken mirror, distant worlds universe.

Ripley

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2015, 02:29:04 AM »

Nice! That looks really polished and clean UI.

There's so many space-theme games nowadays, like a Renaissance of space sci-fi!! Good time to be a sci-fi geek. :D

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 10:11:43 AM »

I dabble in Game Development in Unity. I'm still trying to find someone to help me build the fundamental scripts in a shoot em up bullethell game, So far, noone wants to help :/
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

gruberscomplete

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 01:26:13 PM »

fundamental scripts???!!!

certainly that is not that complicated? Here's what I do for a bullet in my prototypes:

1. Setting up the object that is shooting:
attach a collider to that game object, give it a tag of some sort to identify it, or it can be a script that says what faction it is.
Then attach an empty gameobject to all places where the prefab is supposed to be shooting from, give each empty game object a script called FireBullet that spawns a bullet prefab when it is in combat and says how much dmg is the bullet.
Give each spaceship its own script called ShipProperties, that holds the speed of ship, attributes, and how much health it has.

2. Setting Up bullets
create a bullet prefab, attach a script called BulletProperties, which pulls the side that it is on from the shooter and only damages(collides with) enemies by calling a class called doDamage from enemy ship that deducts health and destroys bullet.

I don't know if this was helpful, personally I am not developing anything myself as I have a lot of other things that take my time.

PS the reason  I'm not developing is because I'm stuck on AI and have no idea how to go about it.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 01:29:41 PM by gruberscomplete »

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 01:42:46 PM »

Oh nono, that's not what i mean. I have to create a grid based building system, but so far, it's very tack and is quite difficult to make sure it builds blocks ON TOP of other blocks, right now, it just warps the blocks into other ones
- Albert Einstein

gruberscomplete

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 01:54:19 PM »

I would really like to see an in-game image. Would you please attach? Thanks

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2015, 02:23:40 PM »

I would really like to see an in-game image. Would you please attach? Thanks

I think there's a thread on this forum for it, Check my created topics for My Zombies Can Fly!

Edit: Found the thread:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=9288.0
- Albert Einstein

Pages: [1] 2