Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17

Author Topic: Expanded Battles  (Read 107423 times)

ThePirateKing

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Expanded Battles
« Reply #135 on: October 07, 2015, 08:54:42 PM »

What happens if you attack the ships in an allied fleet?  Do they automatically turn hostile?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 07, 2015, 08:57:13 PM »

What happens if you attack the ships in an allied fleet?  Do they automatically turn hostile?
Nothing happens currently.  Finding a proper solution is tricky to say the least - there'a always accidents and outright deliberate shooting of allies to take into account (the first thing that popped into Megas' mind, the ever-powerful exploiter he is).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 09:03:12 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

ThePirateKing

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 07, 2015, 09:18:32 PM »

What happens if you attack the ships in an allied fleet?  Do they automatically turn hostile?
Nothing happens currently.  Finding a proper solution is tricky to say the least - there'a always accidents and outright deliberate shooting of allies to take into account (the first thing that popped into Megas' mind, the ever-powerful exploiter he is).
I remember Alex mentioned the idea of having a fleet-specific reputation.  Maybe that could be worked into it, where the reputation changes during the battle depending on how much damage you do to the allied fleet.

So if you had a good reputation with the allied fleet, they'll be more forgiving of friendly fire, but if you're fighting pirates and the allied fleet is neutral toward you, they'll turn on you if you so much as nick them with a beam weapon.

The one other thing I'm not so sure about is having other fleets automatically join in the battle... what's the radius on that?  Is there any delay before they join? 
I think it would be nice to have at least some chance of eliminating them one by one if you're quick and aggressive. 
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 09:38:28 PM by ThePirateKing »

celestis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 08, 2015, 03:35:13 AM »

Oh my god, we are finally having allies! Am I dreaming? Dev team, you are awesome! I really didn't expect such a big feature in 0.7

SteelSoldier

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 08, 2015, 07:16:07 AM »

Ya I think it's going to be extremely difficult to implement a mechanic that makes the allies turn into enemies when you start shooting them, the best case scenario is that it would lower significantly your reputation with that allied faction.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2015, 09:43:41 AM »

If it was easy to have allies turn against you during combat, it probably would not have been too hard to implement multi-sided free-for-all battles instead of two-sided battles.

Reputation hit and/or lack of XP/loot would be sufficient deterrence from deliberate killing of allies.  I would not waste time shooting allies if it does not pay.  I might pulverize an ally if I lost a ship due to friendly fire or if they stole my objective and I do not get the benefits.  That reminds me...

If an ally of the player captures a point, do the benefits apply to ally and player, or just ally only?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 08, 2015, 09:57:15 AM »

I think the game should react to intentional, heavy friendly fire in some way, just because it is something players will do (if just for curiosity's sake) and it will detract from the believability of the game world if it just ignores such behavior. During battle it would be enough if all allied ships retreat. Outside there should be bigger repercussions.

If an ally of the player captures a point, do the benefits apply to ally and player, or just ally only?

The bonus is shared.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

SteelSoldier

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 08, 2015, 10:07:46 AM »

Allies retreat and you would that faction sending in their best ships to try and take you out, so essentially you would be in their bounty lists for a while and you would have to remain low and recover reputation

NONOCE

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 08, 2015, 11:28:47 AM »

Wow, that's an awesome feature ! Too bad there aren't delayed fleet reinforcements, it could add some dramatic situations. It doesn't seem so much harder to implement thought and totally worth it from a combat perspective. Maybe give a reinforcement delay bonus in the case of choosing to escape a battle, as the fleet manage to win time by taking evasive maneuvers. Or even delay bonus depending on the number of beacons captured, that way you could win a fight with an unsustainable strategy. Looking forward this update anyway !

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #144 on: October 09, 2015, 07:35:05 AM »

This Extended Battles feature is going to change everything. Like everything about this game. I'm so excited! Fantastic work m8

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 09, 2015, 11:55:22 PM »

The potential to have 2-6 way battle :D?

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #146 on: October 10, 2015, 12:49:41 AM »

Yep, 6-way battles.  Also, multiplayer is confirmed!  In fact, Starsector's campaign will be transitioning to MMO-style!

FasterThanSleepyfish

• Admiral
  • Blub
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 10, 2015, 12:51:36 AM »

Yep, 6-way battles.  Also, multiplayer is confirmed!  In fact, Starsector's campaign will be transitioning to MMO-style!

Oh boy, I can already feel the spiders and fetch quests.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 10, 2015, 11:14:39 AM »

Oh boy, I can already feel the spiders and fetch quests.
i don't know about (space) spiders, but according to the campaign missions blog post, we are getting fetch quests with 0.7 ^^

Quote from: Alex
Mission: Procurement Contract
It made sense to start with something simple, so simple it is. The mission goal can be summed up easily: “acquire a quantity of commodity X and deliver it to market Y for a reward”.

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 11, 2015, 10:03:59 AM »

Yep, 6-way battles.  Also, multiplayer is confirmed!  In fact, Starsector's campaign will be transitioning to MMO-style!

Sorry to shoot people down, but this isn't the case.  You can't join an ongoing battle unless one side trusts you enough to share their transponder codes and let you act as their ally.  There is no showing up and shooting all sides.  I guess you could shoot your 'allies', but I there will probably be a significant penalty for doing so.  A bit of a bummer, yeah.

EDIT: references below
^ Good question about third party joiners above - can we swoop in and kill everyone?  Similarly, will there be repercussions for destroying allied forces in battle?  We don't want to see people fighting alongside their "allies", then ruthlessly backstabbing them without consequence.

You can't join unless you're hostile to only one side and/or friendly to to only one side.

If both fleets are hostile to the player, will the player be prevented from engaging until the fight is broken up?

Right.

Also, question for Alex: what happens if you're friendly with both sides in a fight?  I'm in that situation right now in my game. 0.o  Whoops, found my own answer in a quote!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 10:26:00 AM by Adraius »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17