Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Name influence from the Honor Harrington series?  (Read 6818 times)

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Name influence from the Honor Harrington series?
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2015, 12:26:05 PM »

Guess it's been pretty well established to be mod material in that observed case, but will jump in to say that I've never read any of the Honor Harrington books so any apparent similarity or reference to them (written by me) would be coincidence. There are references to other books, but I'll leave those for players to discover.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 02:09:41 PM »

Guilty, as charged.  ;)
Haha, gotcha!  Once I saw Foraker in there, I figured I must be on to something. =) I haven't tried your mod yet, but I will be soon.  I've seen laserhead missiles in Nemonaemo's playthrough - am I right in assuming they're from your mod?

Yeah, those are my doing  :D. They get reworked significantly into something much scarier (and true to the series) in the next release.

Even so, the only one I really can't reread is At All Costs, seeing as it's basically "Honor Harrington kills the not-bad guys with her god mode missiles."
That's were I gave up on the series alltogether. Well, I wanted to before that, but that's were my last hope died that it might be anything but cardboard characters on a merry go round. Which is a shame, I really like space battles.

At All Costs was terrible. Not coincidentally, that's also where I stopped reading.

Everything in the first few books was just ever so "wholesome" and slightly over-done enough to be extremely entertaining. The bad guys would outline their entire dastardly plot in the first few pages. Then war breaks out "suddenly." Oh no, who could have predicted that! The good guys fly out in a thousand ships, launch ten thousand missiles, everyone dies, and Honor makes it back just in time for afternoon tea. BUT WAIT!!!! The bad guy jumps out of nowhere and demands an honorable duel to the death - with swords! He dies, and while she's standing there covered in blood, there's an elaborate medal ceremony with a ten-piece band. Honor plays with her space cat. The end.

Seriously, David Weber had a winning formula there.

Guess it's been pretty well established to be mod material in that observed case, but will jump in to say that I've never read any of the Honor Harrington books so any apparent similarity or reference to them (written by me) would be coincidence. There are references to other books, but I'll leave those for players to discover.

I am still waiting to find an Inhibitor trap.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 02:13:59 PM by kazi »

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2015, 03:12:20 PM »

Guilty, as charged.  ;)
Haha, gotcha!  Once I saw Foraker in there, I figured I must be on to something. =) I haven't tried your mod yet, but I will be soon.  I've seen laserhead missiles in Nemonaemo's playthrough - am I right in assuming they're from your mod?

Yeah, those are my doing  :D. They get reworked significantly into something much scarier (and true to the series) in the next release.
Ooh, yes please! (also take a look at the description for them while you're at it) It looks like I joined the Starsector community at a pretty good time, with a large pool of updated, stable, cross-compatible mods right now.  Obviously, that will be shaken up when 0.7a comes out - are you planning to release the next Mayorate iteration now, or after .7a is released?

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2015, 01:10:16 AM »

Without suddenly turning this into a modding thread, I was going to release an update whenever I get the last few art assets done. To be honest, the apparent lack of progress on my end is mostly due to the fact that I stopped playing the game for a really long while.

And yeah, this is definitely a good time to join the community! There were also a couple "golden eras" of modding back around 0.5something (the update before ship systems) and 0.6 (when multiple systems and hyperspace became a thing). Cross-compatibility is never really an issue, it's just that each update completely breaks all of the mods and then it turns into a race for who can figure out how to get stuff to work in the new update the quickest. MShadowy won the last one, in case you were wondering (I was a distant second)...

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2015, 09:07:38 PM »

I am still waiting to find an Inhibitor trap.

:-X
Pages: 1 [2]