Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Name influence from the Honor Harrington series?  (Read 6810 times)

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
Name influence from the Honor Harrington series?
« on: September 29, 2015, 08:58:50 PM »

It's possible this is total coincidence - the result of big random names lists, etc., etc.  I've been watching a lot of Nemonaemo's Youtube campaigns, and I'm struck by the number of planet and ship names that also appear in Weber's 'Honorverse.'  I've seen the names Honor, Harrington, Foraker, and Cimeterre, plus some more I can't recall at the moment (plus more generic names like Medusa and Manticore, but those could easily be coincidence).  Is one of the devs - or modders - a fan of the series? =)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Name influence from the Honor Harrington series?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 10:38:18 PM »

Probably modders; the only name out of the ones you've listed that's in vanilla is the Medusa :)

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 10:47:36 PM »

Foraker and Cimeterre are from the Mayorate faction mod.

The others are not clicking for me at the moment.

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 11:08:14 PM »

I would argue most of those names are quite generic, even the unique sounding ones, for example foraker is a mountain in alaska, a city in oklahoma, the name of a bill passed by congress in the USA in 1900, a state senator in the USA, a research company, a restaurant in alaska, the CEO of whole foods, a law in puerto rico, etc, etc, etc. the problem with referencing any science fiction works that aren't over a century old, is that the names in that work are likely references to other things, like foraker for example. so it's a reference, of a reference of a real thing. And sometime this web goes deeper.

Also things like medusa, honor, harrington are so commonly used by anything and or everything that it'd be safer to just assume it's a reference to the original thing, such as the code of conduct of samurai, the greek monster, and the name.
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 11:23:18 PM »

There is a lot of references to many books and films in the planet names of Nexerelin. For ships however, it's mostly coincidences as they are common names in any fictional universe. Especially the Mythological references like Medusa and Manticore.
On a personal note, I used to be a fan of the series, despite it's ups and downs. Alas Weber didn't ended it where he prepared the story to end, and artificially glued another intrigue on top that really feels like fictional CPR on a spent universe. (In my edition there's even a note from the author explaining that's exactly what he did!)

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 11:34:00 PM »

On a personal note, I used to be a fan of the series, despite it's ups and downs. Alas Weber didn't ended it where he prepared the story to end, and artificially glued another intrigue on top that really feels like fictional CPR on a spent universe. (In my edition there's even a note from the author explaining that's exactly what he did!)
Agreed on all counts, unfortunately.  I love the series for it's thought-out naval tech and battle tactics (and badass heroine), even though the first half of the series wasn't exactly flawless, it's far better than what's come after - everything related to the rise of Mesa takes spends far to many pages on events I don't care to read.  I wish he'd stuck with his original plan for the Honorverse and the Mesa storyline, frankly.

EDIT: I didn't express it clearly the first time - early books > later books (anything Mesa-related, basically)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 01:04:29 AM by Adraius »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 12:16:37 AM »

Heh, I far prefer the first half! Everything before "Echoes from Honor" except for the 3rd and 4th. Everything else is way too much meeting in an office, plotting around a desk ,theory-crafting at a restaurant... With the occasional fireworks every 700 pages. Anyway I would have probably stop reading even if he stuck to the original story, I like authors that knows how to write a good closure.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 12:18:45 AM »

It's possible this is total coincidence - the result of big random names lists, etc., etc.  I've been watching a lot of Nemonaemo's Youtube campaigns, and I'm struck by the number of planet and ship names that also appear in Weber's 'Honorverse.'  I've seen the names Honor, Harrington, Foraker, and Cimeterre, plus some more I can't recall at the moment (plus more generic names like Medusa and Manticore, but those could easily be coincidence).  Is one of the devs - or modders - a fan of the series? =)

Guilty, as charged.  ;)

Read most of the books at the same time I did most of the mod. The other big sources of names are Middle Eastern demons and Iranian/Saudi military equipment. Honestly most of the stuff that gets included in my mod is stuff that falls along the lines of "wouldn't it be cool if starsector had _____"

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 01:10:43 AM »

Guilty, as charged.  ;)
Haha, gotcha!  Once I saw Foraker in there, I figured I must be on to something. =) I haven't tried your mod yet, but I will be soon.  I've seen laserhead missiles in Nemonaemo's playthrough - am I right in assuming they're from your mod?

@Tartiflette, if I wasn't clear, I agree - the first half dozen or so books beat the heck out of what comes after =)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 01:18:29 AM by Adraius »

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 01:22:06 AM »

... I haven't finished my coffee, sorry...

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 04:07:59 AM »

Spoiler
The endless meetings (repeated in different books!) later in the series get rather annoying at times, yeah. But mostly I don't like the recent books because there's no real tension for the most part; it's like "oh, another engagement between the RMN and the Solarian League Navy? Gee, I wonder what will happen this time." (Cauldron of Ghosts is a nice exception here I think, despite the fact that it has Victor Cachat in it and therefore you already know the enemy is dead meat.)

Even so, the only one I really can't reread is At All Costs, seeing as it's basically "Honor Harrington kills the not-bad guys with her god mode missiles."

Spoiler
GISCARD! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
[close]
[close]

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 06:26:02 AM »

Even so, the only one I really can't reread is At All Costs, seeing as it's basically "Honor Harrington kills the not-bad guys with her god mode missiles."

That's were I gave up on the series alltogether. Well, I wanted to before that, but that's were my last hope died that it might be anything but cardboard characters on a merry go round. Which is a shame, I really like space battles.

Mh, is there any really good sci-fi book with great battle scenes? I can't think of any. Oh, except Ender maybe.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2015, 08:37:56 AM »

The Dragon Never Sleeps (Glen Cook) has the best space battle I ever read about, I thing I recall an interesting one in Aucune Etoile Aussi Lointaine (Serge Lehman) but I fear it never was translated. Path of Fury from David Weber is pretty good too.

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2015, 09:05:29 AM »

I really enjoy the hard sci-fi practicality of the Expanse series, and while there are battle scenes in the series, they don't compare to the scale of books like Ender's Game or Honor Harrington.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2015, 10:02:17 AM »

The Dragon Never Sleeps (Glen Cook) has the best space battle I ever read about, I thing I recall an interesting one in Aucune Etoile Aussi Lointaine (Serge Lehman) but I fear it never was translated. Path of Fury from David Weber is pretty good too.

Thanks, I'll check it out :)

I really enjoy the hard sci-fi practicality of the Expanse series, and while there are battle scenes in the series, they don't compare to the scale of books like Ender's Game or Honor Harrington.

Read and tremendously enjoyed it, and looking forward to the upcoming TV show!
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
Pages: [1] 2