Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Recommend similar games?  (Read 31208 times)

joey4track

• Commander
    • View Profile
Recommend similar games?
« on: September 29, 2015, 05:26:44 PM »

I absolutely love SS and it is one of my all time favorites. If I had it on Steam I'm sure it would tell me I have 300+ hours but even after you have tried all the mods over and over, you can get bored. Combined with the absolute snails pace at which this game progresses leaves me wanting. No offense to Alex because this game is incredible but I've seen many one man developed games start and finish in the amount of time Starsector/Starfarer has been in development. I'm not sure if time/money is a factor but I guarantee if this was on Steam in Early Access the $$$ would be rolling in. Nobody even knows about this game and it's the best game nobody is playing. I've heard all the reasons/arguments as to why Alex hasn't gone that route just yet so you can spare me all that, but in the meantime does anyone know of any other games that might scratch that SS itch?

I have played plenty of space sims but SS has that special something that many other spaces games don't. I've tried Weird Worlds, SPAZ, FTL etc.. but if anyone has suggestions, I am all ears, thanks!

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Recommend similar games?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 07:53:46 PM »

The only thing i can think of is Drifter, but it is in some pretty heavy development and probably won't be done for a long time.

AI war: fleet command isn't exactly related, but i have been having a whole lot of fun playing it and would easily recommend it.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 08:12:18 PM »

The only thing i can think of is Drifter, but it is in some pretty heavy development and probably won't be done for a long time.
AI war: fleet command isn't exactly related, but i have been having a whole lot of fun playing it and would easily recommend it.
As someone that own multiple Arcen games, let me warn you: Their games can be a bit... Overwhelming with the information. And with AI Wars, an RTS game, the AI is designed to be fought by EIGHT humans
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 08:32:14 PM »

Nothing really compares in the "spaceship fleet combat" department.
Starsector combat has the deepest and most smooth experience out of all of them. (if played on even footing as the AI)

Other ACTION space games you can try:

The Ur-Quan masters - The game is old so if you don't mind low LOW REALLY LOW res graphics this is a great game. The combat can get pretty deep and twichy, and story is great and the aliens are always interesting.

Void Destroyer - Tho the game is a TPS style spaceship game mixed with a bit of RTS elements, the combat is really in depth so is the learning curve, but in the end is worth it, the thing that keeps it from being better than starsector is that it has no "free play" mode and the new "sand box" update is just that, a sandbox, not anything fleshed out like the current StarSector campaign. Also the game is ugly.

Fractured Space - This is basically Giant spaceship DOTA. Its good, Visually it is the best imo. Tho player base is some what low finding games with even skilled teams is impossible.

Strike Suit Zero - and its expansion are great non indepth pretty fast paced mission based space shooter, its pretty, almost too pretty. Action is good and fluid, story and immersion is delivered well too. (no *** 3rd rate voice actors and music artists here)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 08:46:06 PM »

One game for you that you might enjoy if you like Loot driven games (Boarderlands, diablo, etc) and SPAZ like arcade level action but with some more in depth political stuff, try Drox Operative.

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

joey4track

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 10:56:44 AM »

Nothing really compares in the "spaceship fleet combat" department.
Starsector combat has the deepest and most smooth experience out of all of them. (if played on even footing as the AI)

Yeah, I guess this is really why SS is so great, the combat is really where it's at. Some good sounding suggestions though, I will see what sticks, thanks everyone!

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 11:36:00 AM »

Not sure about dead on similar stuff, SS is fairly unique as far as my (admitedly limited) experience can tell.
Here are a few spacey things I have enjoyed which you migt too:

Transcendence
Sort of the wayward child of Ur-Quan Masters and Rogue.
Not much in the way of player fleet action, but plenty of murder and looting along with an RPG style of equipment handling.

Distant Worlds
More emipre building than fighting.
It is however possible to automate virtually everything and take command of a ship or a fleet while the AI just does its thing.
Designing your own ships is also quite fun once you figure out how you want to use them.

Sins of a Solar Empire
Okay it is getting on a bit now that's for sure, but it is still imo one of the most enjoyable* fleet-level combat games going. And it seems to run on virtually anything.
* it's sort of like throwing x number of fleets together and watching the fireworks while occaisionally moving something here or using an ability there - you may or may not find this to your liking

Haegemonia
Another empire building thing, but this time more focused on combat. Very pretty but is glitchy on Vista and 64b O/Ses.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 05:18:52 PM »

If you like flying cap ships that feel like real cap ships, check out Nexus the Jupiter Incident!

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 12:02:15 AM »

Haegemonia
Another empire building thing, but this time more focused on combat. Very pretty but is glitchy on Vista and 64b O/Ses.
I don't have mutch problem on 7 64bits. Though I have the Extension, maybe it changed something? Anyway for me it's the space game with the best ships explosions to this day, and sit squarely in my top five space games ever with Homeworld (obviously) Nexus the Jupiter Incident, I-War 2 and Starsector

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 12:59:51 AM »

If you like flying cap ships that feel like real cap ships, check out Nexus the Jupiter Incident!

Uggggghhhhh.... the mind blowing part about that game is it still could almost be considered a AAA game graphics-wise and gameplay-wise over a decade since that came out. (God, I feel old saying that.)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 04:09:48 AM »

Space Rangers HD
Fly around in your spaceship, doing trading, killing pirates and fending off a robot invasion in turn-based action. Undertake quests ranging from simple courier jobs to text adventure and RTS minigames (these are pretty cool). Customise your ship with a wide range of weapons and gadgets. Pretty boss.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 05:53:03 AM »

For Diablo in space, there is Transcendence.  The core game is free (but expansions are not).  Single-player only.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 05:56:25 AM »

Reassembly. Particle, projectile & ship counts put SS to shame!

Not sure I'd pay full price for it, but it's been in at least one bundle.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 12:40:28 PM »

I don't have mutch problem on 7 64bits. Though I have the Extension, maybe it changed something? Anyway for me it's the space game with the best ships explosions to this day, and sit squarely in my top five space games ever with Homeworld (obviously) Nexus the Jupiter Incident, I-War 2 and Starsector

I like Haeg. It is really fun to play, maybe because it lets you tool around and do your own thing most of the time but when it directs you to do something it isn't at all obnoxious about it.
Spoiler
The only problem I really have with it is that since Vista there has been a persistant problem with the sound output for it, which generates an error, which in turn creates a dialog box to inform you the user of said error.
Only this dialog appears 'under' the game window so you never know when it appears, and as it's a standard windows dialog with a single 'OK' button it is system focused (as is any windows dialog when it is generated) it is closed by pressing space which is the standard "press the currently highlighted dialog button" key.
Closing the dialog closes the program having the problem - that being the game you are playing.
And space is the single most used key in Haeg. as the transition between the map and tactical views. You can map that to another key to side step the issue as, but I have never yet managed to play a game and not press space eventually because I've gotten so used to doing it.

Yes. I do have the extension/fan patch and it still does all this.
[close]

Haeg. is based in an older game called Imperium Galactica II, which is in itself a pretty decent spaceshippy fleet style game which is 15 years old now and still has elements which look miles ahead of some stuff being released today. The videos on the 4 (!) CDs are a standout example.
tl;dr - IG2 is a nice game.

Someone also mentioned Homeworld.
They are not wrong.
Spoiler
The original HW was intended to be a tactical rock-paper-scissors deal, but rather turned out to be a salvage and piracy simulator. Very fun though.
HW: Cataclysm is (imo) the best of the series as it reigns in that particular behaviour while giving you a super fun ott story to play with along with a ton of QOL improvements.
HW2 is very pretty but is far far too fast and twitchy for my taste. (frigate lost frigate lost frigate lost frigate lost frigate lost frigate lost)
HW:Remastered is again very pretty but is a complete failure as it is HW2 dressed up as HW1, and almost none of the basics of HW map at all into the HW2 engine. So sad.
[close]

Euqocelbbog

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 02:37:58 PM »

Doesn't have anything to do with space, but Mount&Blade has a campaign that is very similar to what Starsector is trying to achieve. In addition, the old Mechwarrior series has a lot of the equipment customization that you find in Starsector.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4