Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What would you thing would be a good addition to the skills?  (Read 2721 times)

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
What would you thing would be a good addition to the skills?
« on: September 26, 2015, 11:56:29 AM »

Not sure if it belong in this sub-forum but Tartiflette convinced me so.

I know the skills trees are going to be reworked in the future, possibly their perks as well. But hey, maybe it'll give some ideas for Alex and the modders.

I have been thinking of the ability to deploy ships from the sides, like in pursuit scenarios but in a normal battle. Could add some pretty fun tactical possibilities. It is very strong however, probably a level 10 perk. It would clearly fit for the Advanced tactics skill. It is currently pretty much useless to skill it past 5 so at least it'll give an incentive to reach 10 with this new perk.

Alternatively, the possibility to deploy destroyers (and bigger?) from the sides during pursuit scenarios. Could be very handy with fast destroyers like the Medusa.

Another idea, not as serious though, a perk that reduce the cooldown on ship systems. Would rather fit for the combat skills. The Power Grid Modulation one maybe? That would be pretty damn powerful though, even a 25% bonus at level 10. Off the top of my head, the Hyperion would be the one that benefit from the most. Would wreck the balance for some mods though.

If you have some more ideas.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: What would you thing would be a good addition to the skills?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2015, 12:04:21 PM »

I like the -25% cooldown for the ship systems, but I think it would belong to a hullmod (unlocked at Power Grid Modulation too). That could avoid too much imbalance. Speaking of hullmods, maybe the Expanded Magazines could also raise the regen rate of ammo? Probably only after some perk is unlocked though. In the same order of idea, instead of a "free" speed upgrade, the Navigation skill could improve the Augmented Engines hullmod?

A lot of the changes in SS+ are pretty good too...

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 02:39:08 PM »

Shield speed for raising, lowering and turning would be pretty cool. The other shield-related variables are probably too OP. This is for the flagship only.

Also a covert ops / hacking skill tree that would allow you to sneak into hostile ports up to X negative relation. Possibly in the same tree could be skills that reduce or eliminate the possibility of being caught comm sniffing or smuggling.

A smuggling / trading skill tree that gives you X percent extra cargo space and a fleet-wide effect of a lesser version of the shielded cargo holds hullmod which stacks with the mod. Customs are still a pain. Or instead it could yield you lower taxes through some creative, grey area methods.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2015, 04:22:58 PM »

Some Charisma skill (political influence, diplomacy, whatever):  Reduces tariff % in markets.  Only problem, might make it an effective +XP% gained skill if trade remains the way to powerlevel.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 04:46:49 PM »

Well, we are in for some travel related skills I would presume. I also hope that the boarding system gets fleshed out (more decisions and hostage/cargo raids) and gains some relevant skills.

Besides that, it would be great if some skills or perks are more colorful and allow for more roleplaying. The current ones are quite sterile in regards to forming a picture of my character as a person.

A few examples, wildly stolen from this old thread:

Obsessive–compulsive disorder: Meticulously pack everything in your cargo hold, everything takes 15% less space.

Pyromaniac - You like fire. A lot. The pretty lights when things go boom? Those are your favorite. You hate it when the Big Flame goes out. The crew wouldn't have to get yelled at so much if they would just fix it the first time. [+8% High Explosive damage, +5% burn-out recovery duration, -10% disabled weapons recovery duration]

Family Man: You permit you crew to bring family on board of capital ships. That encourages them to do everything they can for their ships survival (crew loss -30%, hull strenght +10%) and, (finding some peace when off-duty) to learn faster (experience gain +10%).  But all the family members need room (1 capital ship crew takes up 1.5 crew space).

Eager Adventurer: Pushing crew and machines to the maximum, you gain a 30% speed bonus when traveling to previously unvisited star systems.  After arriving, you keep that bonus for the first 5 minutes, after which the novelty of the system has worn off.

Bloodlust:  Every time you score a kill in battle, your damage level is boosted by 1/2/3/4/5%.  However, your single-minded focus makes you less able to direct the overall battle; -5 Command Points.

Cyborg - You're part man, and mostly machine. Your higher brain functions are enhanced and you can manage much more than a normal human being. However, your crew can't stand the sight of you, and you've taken to locking yourself in your cabin during extended voyages. [+10 FP, -5 CP]

Meticulous - You check and re-check every detail and enforce strict maintenance rotas. This strict regimen doubles the efficiency of your supply usage for maintenance and repairs but the skeleton crew requirement for each ship is increased by 25% due to the greater work requirements.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 05:20:05 PM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 11:29:32 PM »

Oooooooh I reallyreallyreally like that! But I think it would be most fitting as a single/pair of special perk(s) you pick when creating your new character.

In the same fashion maybe some random long term debuff could be created when you loose your fleet and start over, but would fade over time, like a Post-Traumatic Syndrome. Those could be like a permanent -10% CR on your ships from the same era/faction as the one that killed you, a slower reputation gain with some factions, or you get too cautious for a while and have -1 burn but gain +15% sensor range... (I'm thinking about the wounds your colonists get in Rimworld after a fight, a hindrance but nothing crippling if you use the right tools)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2015, 02:01:23 AM »

But I think it would be most fitting as a single/pair of special perk(s) you pick when creating your new character.

You know, I think you're absolutely right. "Character traits" or something. Gaining or losing those traits on rare occasions sounds good, too.

The best thing about this would be if NPCs would react to your personality in some minor way. Not as a rule mind you, just this occasional nod to the player choice and its truth within the gameworld.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.