Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Hyperspace Terrain  (Read 46078 times)

kruqnut

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Hyperspace Terrain
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2015, 01:25:34 PM »

Probably too much of a reworking of the game but I think gravitational physics would add alot to the flight terrain feel. Like slingshotting around planets or stars and being pulled in towards objects based upon their mass.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2015, 02:59:20 PM »

Probably too much of a reworking of the game but I think gravitational physics would add alot to the flight terrain feel. Like slingshotting around planets or stars and being pulled in towards objects based upon their mass.

I'd like that too
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2015, 04:49:46 PM »

It semi use to be in the game during the 54 era (alot like how in deep hyperspace you go faster only it was like that with celestial bodies)
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2015, 06:09:10 PM »

It occurred to me that there aren't any hyperspace terrains good for hiding or ambushes. Open hyperspace is the closest simply since it has no effect on sensors/profile good or bad.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2015, 07:42:35 PM »

How about group battles a la Mount and Blade (was already mentioned), but that would give the ability to have nearby deployable structures, like battle stations, involved in the fight.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2015, 08:15:14 PM »

I kind of mentioned fleet-to-fleet interactions being implemented in my rampant speculation post - I wholeheartedly agree with the fleet battles taking time to do, both the player's battles and AI ones.  But I doubt stations helping in battle because stations are so large.  Also, maybe splitting fleets off (like having a recon section slightly ahead of your own fleet to see what the enemy has, etc.).
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 28, 2015, 12:25:15 AM »

Yeah, fleet splitting is pretty likely (for a shot in the dark). The new feature is supposed to improve campaign playability. Alex was not quite clear on how we are supposed to find fleets to interact with now that sensor range is limited, it isn't hard to imagine that splitting of a scout fleet is the playability improvement related to that. And as Soldier said, it would fit nicely with the introduction of officers (as scout captains).
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2015, 12:58:20 PM »

Just gotta remember when sending the scout captain with his crew out on missions to give them supplies.

akeean

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2015, 11:17:00 PM »

... If I told you, I'd be in deep trouble with my boss. Might even get fired.

Wait, what? Am I the only one to notice the joke here?

burito

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2015, 07:24:34 AM »

Sorry, random passer by who is quite interested in this game...

Wavefronts.

They can still exist within your "they make the player slower if they mess up" idea.

Make them somewhat rare, and more of a navigational hazard. Keep the idea of they can speed you up, but, just like real waves, they are only useful if you don't have a destination (other than not here).

Useful for people who just want to get away from here as fast as possible, or people doing somewhat random scouting. For people with an agenda, who just want to get from A to B, or people on a time frame, they are a nuisance.

Also really useful for people wanting to make a looong trip. No good for starhoppers.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 07:26:27 AM by burito »

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 16, 2015, 02:43:35 PM »

I'm sorry for suddenly adding to this topic; but while waiting for the 0.7 release, I thought I would go through all the blogs about new features to get a better idea about what to expect.

I like the idea of moving hyperstorms that slow down travelling ships, but I wonder if it has been suggested that there could be more serious long term storms that create uncrossable barriers in hyperspace?

I thought it would add to the dynamic of trading and missions (especially time sensitive ones) when you also had to consider the 'weather' in hyperspace at the time you needed to travel to particular systems.  These hyperspace storms in some cases will extend the journey time by forcing you to follow a particular route to your destination, extending your journey by a considerable amount (obviously making for a much more expensive journey), and making it a lot easier for pirates in wait to select their prey as ships don't have the flexibility of moving in all directions when surrounded by these storms on certain sides.

In some cases these longer-term hyperspace storms could shut off systems alltogether (and of course influence trading and missions accordingly).  Perhaps they can be predicted to some extent and so it could be possible to obtain 'weather' reports about the upcoming hyperspace conditions over the next couple of weeks and plan accordingly.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 02:47:39 PM by Baqar79 »

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2015, 06:54:37 PM »

That makes me think, could a hyperspace storm form over a wormhole? that would be... interesting.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2015, 09:15:51 PM »

This is pretty much what I had in mind:

These 'storm front' lines would move slowly over time, slowly opening and closing different routes; and on particularly nice days of the year, disappear alltogether.

It may be difficult to build an AI to drive the lines to make certain we don't cut off ships mid-travel, but I was thinking perhaps if we started with a few custom maps that have static points; and then attach lines to those points and then shape the line between those 2 points randomly (but make it so that the line only connects at those 2 points, and that line does not touch another line), it would look a bit more natural, while ensuring the routes you want to keep open, stay open, without having to design a really smart AI to make sure travelling ships don't get trapped...maybe...I need to think this through a little more  ???

In any case the above was kind of what I was aiming at  ;)

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2015, 09:30:24 PM »

for a trip like that you better be packing extra fuel!  ;)

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2015, 10:01:50 PM »

Indeed!

I can't say for sure whether it would be an enjoyable/frustrating mechanic, but the state of hyperspace would be an important consideration when considering missions ("damn!, I don't think I can make that time window"), general trade ("ouch!, it's going to cost THAT much in fuel/supply?!") and perhaps a decent indication of where to expect a lot of pirate activity ("I better bring some protection along, that small gap I can travel through looks rather omnious..").
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7