Fractal Softworks Forum
December 13, 2018, 03:51:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Starsector 0.9a is out! (11/16/18)

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Poll
Question: What do you desire most?
More ships - 90 (59.2%)
More weapons - 41 (27%)
Something else? - 21 (13.8%)
Total Voters: 152

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25
  Print  
Author Topic: [0.8.1a] Tiandong Heavy Industries v1.2 - Updated 11/12/18  (Read 154147 times)
A Random Jolteon
Commander

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: November 11, 2017, 09:35:01 AM »

I just wanted the mod author to know that after I finally got around to re-imaging my system today and began updating everything, I realized that THI wasn't yet updated for the latest SS and almost cried. Almost.

Other mods are great, really. Lots of fun ships & guns out there in the community.

THI is an extra special thing. It just feels like it belongs with vanilla.

Whatever happens with this mod's development, I just want the author to know that they created one of the best fleshed-out mods I've ever had the pleasure of playing with in any game. And I've got quite a few modded titles on my HDD.
As a frequenter of the SS Discord and also a good friend of Meso, I can assure you that the mod is slowly being worked on. It is just that Meso is a perfectionist and it really drags out the mod dev time
We curse the perfectionist in Meso now, but we will praise it when this mod gets updated. I can see it happening.   Wink

Hi. I exist. Bye.
No_Chance
Ensign

View Profile Email
« Reply #316 on: December 20, 2017, 04:00:43 PM »

I'm sure that will happen. Even though I really miss Mesotronik's (Exigency in particular) ships, it will be worth the wait to go on a rampage in a teleporting blue ship.  Wink
Seth
Commander

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: March 03, 2018, 07:28:05 PM »

Just a friendly reminder that hype is still going strong.  Shocked
Bastion.Systems
Captain

Special Circumstances LCU

View Profile Email
« Reply #318 on: March 04, 2018, 03:11:12 AM »

I really like Tiandong, sometimes I play 0.72 just for it.
Drokkath
Captain

Xenophilic Mutant Commando

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 04, 2018, 03:48:09 AM »

I look forward to playing the game with this mod again in the new version of the game. Seeing and flying those dark green pretty clunkers felt/feels like driving a proper space version of an artillery tank (i.e. Wuzhang and Hujing).

Also; I can't stretch it enough how sorry I am when I initially joined the forum because back then I wasn't doing so good in RL, a lot of problems hindered me to a point that I don't remember much of it other than seeming like some blithering ungrateful ignorant fool of sorts which was merely a flaw of my own mental health and ill mindset running high on adrenaline, frustration and depression. At least I learned how to mod SS and fix myself while at it.

For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.
Amie
Ensign

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 05, 2018, 05:59:02 AM »

I really have that go back to faction you used to play long ago feeling for tiandong,but i feel like that 0.8.1 update is never going to pop up...i mean cmon..
Midnight Kitsune
Admiral

Your Friendly Forum Friend

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: March 05, 2018, 11:26:19 AM »

I really have that go back to faction you used to play long ago feeling for tiandong,but i feel like that 0.8.1 update is never going to pop up...i mean cmon..
It will. Knowing Meso, everything must be pixel perfect in order for him to release it. Finding a bug in his released mods is a feat in and of itself!
He is still working on the mod, very slowly but surely.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 02:31:37 PM by Midnight Kitsune » Logged

Stop trying to balance the game around a few minmaxers...
Programming is like sex:
One mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life.

Tired of having your game crash because of out of date mods? Then click here!
Get Version Checker today! Now with 90% less hassle! Simply toss it into your mod folder, activate the mod like a normal one and BINGO you will now be informed of any and all updates when you start SS campaign up!
Mr. Nobody
Commander

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: March 06, 2018, 05:36:35 AM »

Problem arise when, by the time one finishes updating, the game has already moved to another version, requiring the code to be updated, again.

On the left half of the Bell curve
Midnight Kitsune
Admiral

Your Friendly Forum Friend

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 06, 2018, 02:13:10 PM »

Problem arise when, by the time one finishes updating, the game has already moved to another version, requiring the code to be updated, again.
Actually he is doing a MASSIVE art overhaul to better match vanilla's art style.

Stop trying to balance the game around a few minmaxers...
Programming is like sex:
One mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life.

Tired of having your game crash because of out of date mods? Then click here!
Get Version Checker today! Now with 90% less hassle! Simply toss it into your mod folder, activate the mod like a normal one and BINGO you will now be informed of any and all updates when you start SS campaign up!
Delta7
Commander

forum idiot

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #324 on: March 18, 2018, 04:46:21 AM »

I really miss the tiandong, especially since I've gotten more into low-mid tech factions and ships now. Praise be the day the Tiandong make a triumphant return!

warning: may be prone to random outbursts of stupidity
Null Ganymede
Ensign

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: March 18, 2018, 09:59:04 PM »

I haven't even played this faction but the GIFs look amazing and the way it looks slotted into vanilla balance is fascinating.

Tiandong #1!
Botaragno
Ensign

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 23, 2018, 01:31:29 PM »

Oh it hurts!
MesoTroniK
Admiral

I am going to destroy your ships

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 26, 2018, 02:09:10 AM »

Morning folks, so yea it has been a little while since I posted here and even longer since the mod has updated. For that I apologize but now it is time to explain what is up so lets start with this.

Technical debt:
Technical debt (also known as design debt or code debt) is a concept in software development that reflects the implied cost of additional rework caused by choosing an easy solution now instead of using a better approach that would take longer.

In this case it is technical art debt, but for the remainder of this post I am going to simply continue referring to it as technical debt for the sake of simplicity and brevity.

See, Tiandong Heavy Industries originally came out before David started reworking vanilla sprites. Back when greebles reined supreme, and THI's visual design goal was always to be more greebly than vanilla. But now that vanilla art has moved beyond, and is increasingly less and less greebly and designed more gracefully... Technical debt hit me like a brick wall. After all, even in the past I would say THI ships were a bit more greebly than was truly desired for the visual design relative to vanilla. I should have painted over them then, but I did not. So what I face now, is the prospect and ongoing task of painting over the entire mod.

For my sins of the past, I created work in the future. Now some might not agree with how I am doing this, maybe I should have updated the mod with the old art and then do a follow-up update that contains the improved art. But asi es la vida (such is life), it just is what it is and this is how I chose to do the update. It made sense to me at the time, and it still does. This will segue with what I need to do in the Exi mod as well, after all this quest to update all the THI art has made me grow immensely as an artist and will pay off in the near and long term Smiley

So here is an example of three updated sprites, the Xiakou, Shouren, and Hujing.

Of course I could show more that have been done, but I shouldn't spoil everything. THI will no longer be a simple kitbash mod, of greebleshitfest sprites. They are growing into their own thing, fitting into vanilla, but with their own style. Truly fitting the original design goal of being just a bit more greebly than vanilla and actually something to be proud of.

Besides dramatically improved sprites, the update will contain one new weapon and one new fighter, balance / polish, and some neat things in the campaign that are both a surprise and incredibly obvious if one thinks about what could be added. The update isn't ready yet, but it grows closer every day. Please wait and see while trusting in me.

A Random Jolteon
Commander

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 26, 2018, 06:14:49 AM »

...I truly believe you are trying to kill us with anticipation. ;_;

Hi. I exist. Bye.
cjusa
Captain

Missiles and Mecha, my boys. Missiles and Mecha

View Profile Email
« Reply #329 on: March 26, 2018, 02:10:31 PM »

...I truly believe you are trying to kill us with anticipation. ;_;
With sprites looking like that I might just come back from the dead. Take your time Meso.  Wink

Very few problems can't be solved with gratuitous violence and epic explosions.

I am pro at Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth-Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip-Poker. Fight me.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Eagles and Falcons on fire off the L5 of Sindria. I watched Tachyon beams glitter in the dark near the Perseus Nebula...
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 25
  Print  

Jump to: