Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Linux and mainly Games for it (General talk of Fun Linux things)  (Read 8820 times)

736b

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Any linux users out there? Any linux gamers?! :P
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2015, 01:48:22 PM »

The extent of audio hardware support is "there's audio" and the extent of video hardware support is workable but buggy and less than performant. Linux apps are perfectly fine and I didn't miss Windows apps at all. But for a gaming desktop it's always going to be second choice.
There's a pretty impressive list of supported sound cards here.
With video card drivers I've made the best experience with the proprietary Nvidia drivers, which have been rock solid for ages.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2015, 03:47:45 PM »

You're right, a lot sound cards work just fine. But as soon as you bring hardware into it, native EAX or even basic hardware functions of X-Fi and other cards, Linux usually falls flat. The binary blob NVidia driver works fine, but a purist could argue that you might as well run Windows then.

736b

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2015, 10:26:01 PM »

A purist wouldn't run closed-source games, either.

MShadowy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2015, 08:19:34 AM »

As for that program you use, Krita, I'll take a look see and see how it fares with my current program. The ever-present GIMP.

It failed to install correctly, sigh... But that looks so awesome... I want that so badly.

download and feature read later....

GIMP...

You can eat your friggin' heart out!!!

If you think that's cool, they finished a second Kickstarter on the 3rd of June, which is going to be spent on improving the programs performance massively--no more slowdown on massive canvases or when using huge brushes--and, to further sweeten things is also going to add animation support, complete with timelines, onion skinning and so on.  Also hit all their stretch goals, so we're also looking at a bunch of workflow improvements to layer, fills, brushes and so on.

Also, if you're interested in a more bleeding edge version of Krita than what is held in the safe repos you can try the Krita Lime PPA with "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dimula73/krita", which, after a "sudo apt-get update", can be installed with "sudo apt-get install krita-testing krita-testing-dbg"

Az the Squishy

• Captain
  • I'm but a woman with a pencil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2015, 12:04:13 AM »

@Azmond... "sudo apt-get install krita"?

Nupe. I figured out that i didn't have a dependancy, though the way I found out was trying to install said program through the Debian Deb File. I had to install the KDE runtime and sit's share of libraries. :)

Spoiled to not take up a whole page
Spoiler
As for that program you use, Krita, I'll take a look see and see how it fares with my current program. The ever-present GIMP.

It failed to install correctly, sigh... But that looks so awesome... I want that so badly.

download and feature read later....

GIMP...

You can eat your friggin' heart out!!!

If you think that's cool, they finished a second Kickstarter on the 3rd of June, which is going to be spent on improving the programs performance massively--no more slowdown on massive canvases or when using huge brushes--and, to further sweeten things is also going to add animation support, complete with timelines, onion skinning and so on.  Also hit all their stretch goals, so we're also looking at a bunch of workflow improvements to layer, fills, brushes and so on.

Also, if you're interested in a more bleeding edge version of Krita than what is held in the safe repos you can try the Krita Lime PPA with "sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dimula73/krita", which, after a "sudo apt-get update", can be installed with "sudo apt-get install krita-testing krita-testing-dbg"
[close]

@ MShadowy   It, is, AWE-soome! *speaks with angelic voice at the end*

I LOVE IT!!! OH GOD I LOVE IT!!! IF I HAD MONEY TO SEND TO THEM I WOULD BUT I'M A LIMITED BUDGET AND AM A HOME-BOUND BUM WITH MY MOTHER AT THE MOMENT!!!

on the topic of games though, which games do you WISH? were linux friendly? To keep the thread on the main topic here...

Personally, I'd love to have some of the old Sim-city games (Sim City 2000 being the main one. :3 ), as well as halo, SKYRIM! gods damn I wish they'd get skyrim over, and not for the graphics! The gameplay. I love the kill-cam, the spells an the mods. The mods are friggin' awesome!
Otherwise, I'd love to have an old game I used to play called Gang Garrison made for linux as well. That'd be great as that game is based on TF2 and is pretty sweet to play!

I can think of a good few others as well... But, it's midnight here. I'm out.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 12:15:42 AM by Azmond »

ssslokesh

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Linux and mainly Games for it (General talk of Fun Linux things)
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2015, 02:40:04 AM »

Hi ... i am a windows user but now i changed to ubuntu & my friends are using fedora operating systems... please let me know which games are famous on these operating systems....

I like most Racing , Fighting , Shooting type of games.....

736b

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2015, 03:43:55 AM »

Those aren't really my genres, but for example Warsow is a really fun shooter (that's free and open source even).
Shadow Warrior was also great.

No idea about racing and fighting games. I have Race the Sun from some bundle, that was alright.

Az the Squishy

• Captain
  • I'm but a woman with a pencil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2015, 10:36:24 AM »

Hi ... i am a windows user but now i changed to ubuntu & my friends are using fedora operating systems... please let me know which games are famous on these operating systems....

I like most Racing , Fighting , Shooting type of games.....

Hey Lokesh!

There are a few games you may enjoy in the standard Software center, but to be more specific, here's a few shooting games you may enjoy.

Heavy Bullets, Borderlands 1 2 and prequels or Handsome edition I beilive, metro Last Light and Metro 2033 Redux. Space Pirates and Zombies (it's not a shooter in itself but it's pretty sweet.).
As far as fighting games go you'll have to be a more particular about your Genera. else-wise here's a site I love going to that might help you out. :)

http://www.lgdb.org/

This site is very well done, has new on projects, articles and is often updated. There was another linux gaming site, but I've no idea what exactly happned to it.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2015, 01:31:36 PM »

Metro 2033 and its sequel are much more stealth/atmosphere than shooter, be warned.
Pages: 1 [2]