Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Endless Sky: Another Escape Velocity remake  (Read 8806 times)

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Endless Sky: Another Escape Velocity remake
« on: September 01, 2015, 02:01:03 AM »

Here's a free, open source game that is extremely like EV. It's pretty fun actually.

https://endless-sky.github.io/

Here's a video:
https://endless-sky.github.io/video/endless-sky.mp4

This one follows  the formula of EV closely. It doesn't have much sound yet, and the ship designs are a little bit indistinguishable, but it's fun. It's made by one guy so it has a very 'unified' feel to it.

(Edit: hardly played with it so far but it already has ship boarding/plundering mechanics that are fun)

There's an editor too, it's simple to mod, even more so than the original EV- just text files. has a plugin system.

Unfortunately the mission structure seems a bit simple, whereas now in 2015 i think it's ok to incorporate scripting and xml into an EV clone to do more sophisticated things with missions, like NAEV does.

The planets do orbit around the suns in this one too! but not in real time since clock only ticks when you land.

I guess my ultimate EV clone would have:
-Real time clock ticking ala starsector
-Planets with orbits ala SS and this game
-3d models instead of sprites so you can have shadows etc and easily make supporting art assets.
-Dynamic economy ala SS
-Scripting (lua or whatever) for making lots of interesting campaign missions
-Combat not separate from the rest of the game (everyone but SS)
-Real Time limited Fleet tactical control (SS)
-real time, fluid zoom out between tactical and combat (like Ares)
-Some kind of limited multiplayer skirmish perhaps?
-Cool management of turrets, weapons, hardpoints (SS does this the most detailed, but NAEV and this game have it to a limited degree

Requal

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Endless Sky: Another Escape Velocity remake
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 08:41:32 PM »

Did you ever try Naev? (Not Another Escape Velocity)
http://blog.naev.org

Or if you have an android device try Space RPG 2.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.meister.spacerpg2

Or a 3d version on iOS and android.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.fishlabs.gof2hdallandroid2012

Ripley

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 02:37:10 AM »

It was released on Steam recently, as a free game. I gave it a go and definitely it feels like EV.

But damn combat is hard and things die instantly. I much prefer the Starsector combat, slower paced, more strategic than twitch.

speeder

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 10:35:08 AM »

By the way: I helped the dev a bit on this game (just a tiny little bit), still, if anyone has a great idea that does not take too much time to make, you can ask me, and I can see if I can code it and send a pull request to the guy (or just nag him on the github issues, every time I nagged him about something he did some change, excepting music, he hates music in games and declined my request to allow me to code a music engine for the game).

Jonofwrath

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 08:42:12 AM »

I really like Endless Sky - it's got a few really nice mechanics that make it a lot of fun.

Finding profitable routes is made easier by colour coding favourable trades based on a given commodity - you have to have travelled to the star systems else they'll remain grey but those with known prices will colour a range from blue through to yellow (odd choice perhaps but it makes it very easy to see favourable routes at a glance).

There are a good number of modules to refit your ships with that have noticeable affects on their performance.

You can use fighters and drones for combat which is cool.

The point defence looks really legit - it's always really satisfying to see your PD lance out and quickly take down a barrage of missiles.

The fact it's free is a bonus but I would have happily paid £5-10 for it.

Hoping SS will come to Steam soon - I'm not buying it through the website because the payment required too much personal data.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 12:38:39 PM »

I really like Endless Sky - it's got a few really nice mechanics that make it a lot of fun.

Finding profitable routes is made easier by colour coding favourable trades based on a given commodity - you have to have travelled to the star systems else they'll remain grey but those with known prices will colour a range from blue through to yellow (odd choice perhaps but it makes it very easy to see favourable routes at a glance).

There are a good number of modules to refit your ships with that have noticeable affects on their performance.

You can use fighters and drones for combat which is cool.

The point defence looks really legit - it's always really satisfying to see your PD lance out and quickly take down a barrage of missiles.

The fact it's free is a bonus but I would have happily paid £5-10 for it.

Hoping SS will come to Steam soon - I'm not buying it through the website because the payment required too much personal data.
I hate to say it but you are in for a wait then. Also you DO know that you can use paypal to by this right?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Jonofwrath

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 02:26:12 PM »

Why do d'you say that? I asked and he said he wanted to when the game's a bit further along.

Oh? I even asked the Dev about Pay Pal :/ He said no.

Jonofwrath

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 02:27:52 PM »

Ha, got it - pay pal it is  :)