Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 35

Author Topic: [0.97a] Roider Union 2.1.0  (Read 402078 times)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.2a] Roider Union 0.6 Alpha
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2015, 10:00:32 PM »

I haven't been working on this mod as much as I'd like, but progress is being made. Before version 0.7 and the Roider's light cruiser comes out, I plan on releasing an intermediate version (0.6.5). I'm currently working on the big feature of this intermediate version: overhauls of the Dozer and Grinder!

The Dozer will get a completely new, much better sprite. It may get a defensive weapon like an LMG or Mining Laser. It may also get a name change; suggestions welcome! :) Sticking to the theme of industrial equipment is preferred, but not required.

The Grinder will have a complete weapon loadout change to fit Roider doctrine (and its name) better. Gone will be the Mining Blaster, a Thumper will take its place. Two Swarmer Launchers in the rear hull will provide punch while two Mining Lasers on the "wings" will give overlapping coverage. If that turns out to not be enough, I'll install two additional forward-facing guns in the wings. The Grinder's sprite will be reworked to reflect these changes.

Edit: Grinder armament is going through flux, but is looking like 1x Thumper, 2x HE guns, 3x ballistic PD, and maybe 1x Swarmer. It's now a "Gunship" and trashes fighters while still threatening large ships.

Edit2: At this point I can guarantee that there will be a medium ballistic weapon. Probably a Thumper, but maybe a Chaingun. :P All else is "we'll see". This is what I get for being too specific. ::)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 09:20:15 PM by HartLord »

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.2a] Roider Union 0.6.5 Alpha
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2015, 10:05:49 AM »

Version 0.6.5 is now go. Download in OP.

I redid the Sledge (previously Dozer) Bomber's and Crusher (previously Grinder) Gunship's sprites as mentioned. I think they're a lot better!

Xenoargh's speed spriting guide helped a ton. My spriting time has gone from days and weeks to hours and days! Not to mention my quality has improved quite a bit. You don't want to see the layering on my old sprites ;)

Changelog
Version 0.6.5
-Added new mission "Rumble in the Rocks"

-Changed Dozer Bomber to Sledge Bomber
-Changed Grinder Assault Bomber to Crusher Gunship
-Changed Sledge Bomber sprite
-Changed Crusher Gunship sprite
-Changed Sledge Bomber loadout: Added a Light Machine Gun
-Changed Crusher Gunship loadout completely
-Changed mission "Eye of the Storm"
   - Changed Cyclops variant - starts with Augmented Engines
   - Fixed where the Tempests burn in - not perfect, but all behind now
   - Added more asteroids!

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2015, 03:24:46 PM »

Oh, seems I missed the last update, but I like this one. The "eye of the storm" mission is fun, my heart skipped a beat whenever I almost collided with a big one. Shame that there's no big fleet action mission now, though.

Looking forward to really getting to play with all these bombers, the quadruple harpooner looks cool :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2015, 08:02:48 PM »

Oooh, new update! I'll be downloading this when I get home!
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2015, 10:48:53 PM »

Version 0.8 when I introduce the Roider battleship will definitely have a big fleet action mission. Two or more caps per side, I think.

On the off chance that I finish the content for the next release of the mod before Starsector 0.7 releases, I'll hold off my release. Mainly because the next major version of the mod will be 0.7 and I don't want to confuse myself, let alone anyone else! :P

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2015, 05:15:44 PM »

I got a little annoyed trying to figure out the shape of a new ship, so I started messing with other things. I think I've found a good art direction for Roider ships: rusty and cobbled together. It allows me to make the sprites interesting without having to resort to "painting" them, it fits in better with vanilla, and it fits the Roider Union's overall style.

They may look like hunks of junk, but they got it where it counts! What do you guys think?

Blaze

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2015, 08:23:01 PM »

The ships we have now are definitely too clean to be something converted from an aging civilian ship that's been modified with aging civilian parts; especially the cyclops, it's just way too shiny.

Then again, I'm not really an aesthetics person. I'm more interested in effectiveness.

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2015, 07:52:15 AM »

I like the new art style of Rusty and cobbled togethor. Fits really well with their background.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2015, 01:19:03 PM »

Yeah, that direction sounds good to me.

One thing I noticed: The fighter cockpits seem much bigger than in vanilla, which messes with the apparent scale. It might help with that and also reinforce the sturdy impression if the cockpit had a grating.
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: November 04, 2015, 05:04:25 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2015, 04:32:46 PM »

Spoiler
One of your images is broken, Gothars.
[close]

Yeah, the cockpits do need redoing. I'm not sure how I would pull off grating like that. I'll figure something out. All the fighters will be getting more work. I'm thinking of making the MG turrets visible, but that might mean a bump up in sprite size, at least for the Crusher. Although, given its firepower, a bigger sprite may not be such a bad thing; make it tougher as compensation.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the Augers. I've been toying with making it only a heavy fighter/interceptor and having a completely different fighter for the other role.

I've also been debating with myself about where I want Roider fighters' power level to be. The Augers are overall slightly less powerful than their vanilla counterparts, the Sledge is pretty good, and the Crusher is a hailstorm of projectiles that devours fighters. I think I'm going to have to have a brainstorming session.

The ships we have now are definitely too clean to be something converted from an aging civilian ship that's been modified with aging civilian parts; especially the cyclops, it's just way too shiny.

You wouldn't believe what a coat of paint can do.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.2a] Roider Union 0.7 Alpha
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2016, 09:44:15 AM »

Sorry for the long wait. I finally gave up on trying to draw sprites and cranked out the ships I needed in the last few days by kitbashing. I'm a bit disappointed, but, without further ado, here is a new version of the Roider Union!

Changelog
Version 0.7

-Added Gambit Light Cruiser
-Added Onager Heavy Carrier
-Added Mule (R) Combat Freighter
-Added Hermes (R) Shuttle
-Added mission "Crushing Responsibility"
-Changed mission "Rumble in the Rocks" to have semi-random fleet compositions
-Redid fighters completely - a lot more balanced now
-Updated Tarsus (R)

-Other changes...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 08:45:59 AM by HartLord »

Bastion.Systems

• Captain
  • Special Circumstances LCU
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2016, 01:14:16 PM »

That's a lot of new ships to play around with!  ;D

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2016, 05:09:52 PM »

Whoops, forgot to reduce the Onager down to one deck when I changed its concept months ago. I'll upload a new version Thursday with the fix.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.2a] Roider Union 0.7.1 Alpha
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2016, 08:44:42 AM »

Alright, fixed up the Onager and a few minor details.

Version 0.7.1
-Fixed # of flight decks on Onager
-A few other tiny changes

edit:

Stealth Patch 0.7.2
-Fixed missing "roideraaa" hullmod bug

If you experience a crash when trying to select the Roider Test Zone mission, try deleting the folder "roidertest" in Starsector/saves/missions.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 06:39:55 AM by SafariJohn »

Dudley Dickerson

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.2a] Roider Union 0.7.1 Alpha
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2016, 01:24:50 AM »

I like where this mod is heading. Keep it up.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 35