Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: A quick hello and a friendly place in SC  (Read 20019 times)

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
Re: A quick hello and a friendly place in SC
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2015, 05:54:08 AM »

I believe the highest record for a single backer in SC is something like $100K.

If not, more. I don't think we have a million dollar backer (yet). So it is definitely money spenders. Spend, spend spend. I want a Vanguard, no, I want three, I want different variants, and I want a Carrack, and I want two Banu Merchantmen to sell fabulous rarities about the galaxy.

Oh, alright then. I'll take an Idris too to run that squadron from. Perhaps I'll get some Hornets to run as an extra squadron too...
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2015, 12:54:53 AM »

I really don't have the time anymore for games like WoW, SWTOR, etc. Over time I've started to warm up to the idea of 'pay for progression', simply because even working just 40 hours a week doesn't leave much free time. Not but 2 years ago I was part time, I felt like my days were over twice as long. I could do so much in these games with all that extra time, but now if I spend 4 hours playing an MMO on a workday, I don't have any day left.

I feel a little guilty actually. I genuinely believe you will be able to play and enjoy Star Citizen without shelling out 1k+, although I really couldn't help but to let my dreams of having a space adventure fantasy take over. In my current situation I have a pretty decent amount of disposable income, but I think anyone can get a good deal by just getting the bare minimum package. If you don't have the extra cash to throw around, there is still an excellent experience to be had with the minimal fly-now package.

ValkyriaL

• Admiral
  • The Guru of Capital Ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2015, 01:00:08 AM »

Even with disposable income, i find it completely insane and stupid to throw THAT much money at a GAME, buying a few cosmetic items or buying like 1 or 2 things, fine, but i can think of so much else to spend ones money on.

hadesian

• Admiral
  • It's been one of those days...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 28, 2015, 05:43:42 AM »

Other than music, which I stream free online all the time, clothes, which for me costs a fair old chunk because reasons, and non-existent girlfriends, I have more than enough to waste on games.

I could easily drop another £200 today on Star Citizen, I won't, but I could, the issue is most people do do that without realizing they are.
Changes as of May 24, 2013
  • Reinvented Starsector.
  • That is all.

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2015, 06:42:58 PM »

Everybody has different priorities. I think two vacations a year are silly, at that point you won't even remember what you did. That is another way to spend 1-2k easily. Everybody has a number of'quirks' that end up eating a fair amount of cash, be it daily coffee, smoking, eating out vs eating in, international vacations, etc. If you look as you're budget over the course of a year, it's easy to find what these might be and evaluate if you think it's worth it or not.

As long as you aren't in debt and are saving a moderate amount for retirement, I will never judge another person for how they spend their money. Hell, even if you are in debt, if you're current on your bills and still putting aside a decent amount for retirement, by all means treat yourself to something silly once in a while. Life is too short.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]