Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: [0.65.2a] Seeker (Dead. Click on the signature to get to the new Seeker mod)  (Read 123053 times)

Nazaxprime

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.65.2a] Seeker v0.1 - Prototype (06/06/2015)
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2015, 05:51:09 PM »

As someone that has been lurking for years with a mod in the works all the while, I want to say congratulations on getting to this point, and further kudos on the teaser, I will definately be playing this and letting you know how much of it I want to steal. :P
All kidding aside, best wishes, and a great thank you to all the core dev team and all the modders out there that help Starsector realize its potential on a daily basis.
Keep up the good work, and fighting the good fight.
Naz, out.
~.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2015, 06:09:49 PM »

In some of the descriptions in the OP it says "fret" instead of "freight". ;)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2015, 11:18:22 PM »

Thanks Nazaxprime! As for the typo, there are many more, though this one is particularly jarring!  :-X

Agalyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2015, 06:28:16 PM »

Watched the video, played with the anomaly ships, and I gotta say man

All this stuff looks absolutely phenomenal. Ill be watching this one closely for sure.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2015, 11:03:35 PM »

Thanks! I've been a bit silent these days but that's not that the work slowed but on the contrary that I'm working on stuff that I won't show even in spoilers. Namely I finished another reaaaaaally cool Artifact, and am starting the implementation of what will probably be the second most awesome Artifact of the mod (hint, the ones in the prototype are the baseline I'm trying to beat with every other Anomalies). In term of ships I'm only half-way done, but that's because I'm missing the rewards ships and those will be varied and numerous. Unlike the Anomalies however, they won't be that hard to make.

Agalyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2015, 11:36:36 PM »

I really like the idea of a quest based system, especially implemented the way I think you're doing it, with the special science ship. The mysterious theme, the idea of going out into the unknown and finding these really unique things, its all extremely appealing. I'm a sucker for unique toys to hunt down, so there's that, but the whole theme and story line idea in general seem like a great concept.

If you continue to outdo what you've shown so far, I'm going to love where this ends up. I can't wait till its finished and I can see what you've cooked up.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2015, 11:52:50 PM »

Well, the bad news is I estimate 4-6 months of work post 0.7 to get something playable done, and a solid 8 months to reach a polished state. The issue here is that I can't do incremental updates (and don't want to because spoilers). The whole systems needs to be in place from the get go, and adding the content won't take much longer since I already did a good chunk of it. But I also have some form of backup plan should the implementation I want be impossible/too complex to get right.

Agalyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2015, 02:05:56 AM »

Hmmmm

Well I'll be here man, I hope it goes well. Just want you to know the effort is appreciated, I'm glad someone is doing something like this, its really right up my alley.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2015, 07:49:53 AM »

Hey, 8 months ought to place you halfway between 0.7's release and 0.8's. That's not so bad.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2015, 10:18:46 AM »

I'm just here to say that I'm really happy about this project, it is an amazing idea and from what little I've seen it's gonna be realized amazingly well, too. Exploration was always the thing that has interested me most in Starsector, it's great to have a mod dedicated to that. And props for the spoiler policy, I appreciate it!
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2015, 11:44:32 AM »

Like Gothars, I want to chip in that I'm very interested in this mod, and I'll be watching for it, whenever it releases.  Good to hear work is continuing! =)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2015, 12:30:54 PM »

Glad to see there are some people looming around that want to get their hands on this mod  :D As a great man once said, "I can't *wait* to get this out!
I can't share much stuff, but there's this one thing I implemented recently:

Nothing flashy, it's a Target Painter weapon. It can't do much by itself but raise a bit the damage received by the target from other nearby weapons, and double the chances of disabling it's weapons and engines... Although it's main role is actually to help the AI find a better range of engagement, since missile-only ships tend to hug their target and suffer from their explosions.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2015, 09:10:43 AM »

Still working on this, still not much to share... Except maybe this thing: I'm writing texts for test missions that try to evoke the context of the quest. It won't make it into the final mod, at least not in that form, but it should give a good feeling of the spirit of Seeker.

Nor really a Spoiler
Spoiler
Captain's Log, 208.173

After a couple of weeks combing the region we finally detected an object yesterday morning. We barely had time to regroup the fleet when it vanished in a flash of high energy particles. The science team is unsure of what it is but that flash rules out the possibility of a ghost signal. However they are assuring me that this cannot be the sister Anomaly of the Bellatrix. The flash may have reached the same energy peak but it's characteristics are nothing alike. In any case we fond something and just need to resume scanning the region to find out where it went.

Captain's Log, 208.217

What a PAIN it was! Okay so: We spent nearly a month carefully going back and forth a light-week wide cube of space trying to find where the Anomaly jumped without luck. Then we decided to inspect the nearby stars to see if we could find it there. We were observing our 18th one when we detected the exit flash of the anomaly around the companion star a light-month and a half away! A freaking seventeen light-years jump! The energy required for that distance is unfathomable! The team said if it's efficiency is similar to Bellatrix' functioning, it would have required the total energy output of Askonia's star during a full year to power that feat... I'm very worried about trying to capture something that could contain that much energy.

Captain's Log, 208.221

We found it probably recharging it's energy banks, whatever they are, in close orbit of the companion star. It's way bigger than Bellatrix, and decided to call it Betelgeuse. Now after some careful observation and deliberation, the Science team assure me that it must be more or less out of energy. (Something to do with quark capacitors, exploiting micro-sized fusion reactions, and the maximum amount of energy that can be stored in such volume and mass) Thus it's up to me to decide if we should get it or not. My officers are a divided on the proceeding, but mostly in favor to at least peek a closer look and I can't blame them. That expedition lasted much longer than we anticipated and the crew is restless. Going back empty handed wouldn't be good for morale. Not to mention our finances. We will probably try to reach it on a slow Hohmann transfer while limiting our sensor profile.

Captain's Log, 208.234

THAT BLOODY THING JUMPED AGAIN!!!!

Captain's Log, 208.236

... Fortunately it was a shorter jump and we detected the exit flash only a few hours later. That clearly supports the Team's hypothesis that it is out of energy and was recharging. We are now closing in at full speed to get to it before it can jump again. The crew is really nervous now, several fights broke in the last weeks and I had to sentence a few to the brig. The imminent encounters seems to have diverted their energy toward their duties but I'll make sure to remind them we want to capture that thing, if possible...
[close]

Agalyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2015, 03:59:01 PM »

Still working on this, still not much to share... Except maybe this thing: I'm writing texts for test missions that try to evoke the context of the quest. It won't make it into the final mod, at least not in that form, but it should give a good feeling of the spirit of Seeker.

Nor really a Spoiler
Spoiler
Captain's Log, 208.173

After a couple of weeks combing the region we finally detected an object yesterday morning. We barely had time to regroup the fleet when it vanished in a flash of high energy particles. The science team is unsure of what it is but that flash rules out the possibility of a ghost signal. However they are assuring me that this cannot be the sister Anomaly of the Bellatrix. The flash may have reached the same energy peak but it's characteristics are nothing alike. In any case we fond something and just need to resume scanning the region to find out where it went.

Captain's Log, 208.217

What a PAIN it was! Okay so: We spent nearly a month carefully going back and forth a light-week wide cube of space trying to find where the Anomaly jumped without luck. Then we decided to inspect the nearby stars to see if we could find it there. We were observing our 18th one when we detected the exit flash of the anomaly around the companion star a light-month and a half away! A freaking seventeen light-years jump! The energy required for that distance is unfathomable! The team said if it's efficiency is similar to Bellatrix' functioning, it would have required the total energy output of Askonia's star during a full year to power that feat... I'm very worried about trying to capture something that could contain that much energy.

Captain's Log, 208.221

We found it probably recharging it's energy banks, whatever they are, in close orbit of the companion star. It's way bigger than Bellatrix, and decided to call it Betelgeuse. Now after some careful observation and deliberation, the Science team assure me that it must be more or less out of energy. (Something to do with quark capacitors, exploiting micro-sized fusion reactions, and the maximum amount of energy that can be stored in such volume and mass) Thus it's up to me to decide if we should get it or not. My officers are a divided on the proceeding, but mostly in favor to at least peek a closer look and I can't blame them. That expedition lasted much longer than we anticipated and the crew is restless. Going back empty handed wouldn't be good for morale. Not to mention our finances. We will probably try to reach it on a slow Hohmann transfer while limiting our sensor profile.

Captain's Log, 208.234

THAT BLOODY THING JUMPED AGAIN!!!!

Captain's Log, 208.236

... Fortunately it was a shorter jump and we detected the exit flash only a few hours later. That clearly supports the Team's hypothesis that it is out of energy and was recharging. We are now closing in at full speed to get to it before it can jump again. The crew is really nervous now, several fights broke in the last weeks and I had to sentence a few to the brig. The imminent encounters seems to have diverted their energy toward their duties but I'll make sure to remind them we want to capture that thing, if possible...
[close]
I really like it, it feels nice for the context.

Cergos

• Ensign
  • Fidem Serva
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2015, 12:58:24 PM »

Honestly, it is a really cool idea. I was just wondering why this sort of thing was not in the game already.

Keep up the good work!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10