Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Starsector does not start in alternate drive  (Read 1945 times)

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Starsector does not start in alternate drive
« on: May 08, 2015, 10:12:52 AM »

So I have starsector installed in C(ssd) originally, but then I am getting a weird error where alot of stuff in C became read-only, and I could not change it.

So I copied it to drive H: my other normal harddrive. But then It wont start, not even selecting resolution popup appear. Nothing.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector does not start in alternate drive
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 10:17:21 AM »

Copy-pasting is generally not a good idea with modern games that have their install locations tied into the registry or AppData folder. I recommend you uninstall -> reinstall properly, then it should work.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 10:44:26 AM »

Copy-pasting is generally not a good idea with modern games that have their install locations tied into the registry or AppData folder.

This shouldn't be the case with Starsector. It's a "feature" of modern games that I'm rather less than fond of.

That said, an uninstall/reinstall sounds like a good idea anyway, if there's weirdness going on with your C drive. Basically: what you're doing should work, but I suspect something else is getting in the way.

(If I were you, I'd back up anything important you've got on your C drive. Stuff doesn't just become read-only for no reason.)

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 05:42:30 AM »

Well, after some googling  nothing worked..
 But I got around it by cutting the file out and editing files then put it in. As deleting and saving would not work... Blastsed windows >:(