Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Smart GUI updates for triple screen rendering  (Read 2423 times)

Eternity

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Smart GUI updates for triple screen rendering
« on: May 09, 2015, 03:49:07 AM »

Hi Alex and the community,

Follower since about 3 years, I enjoy playing starsector and discover new enhancements and new gameplay on each release !

Six months ago, I had the chance to setup a triple screen on my PC to play games like Elite Dangerous in ultra wide screen (NVIDIA Surround 5980x1080)... and by the way Starsector too :-) my two favorites games at the moment ... and stasector works pefectly :-) but...

Then, would it be possible to make few GUI upates in the game to "optimize" button positions ??? their are on each side of the screen but when you have 3x40 inchs screen... you have to look on the edge of left and right screens ... which is... unconfortable... my proposal would be to let them on the egde but on the central screen ;-) even if we still use left and right screen to see wide battlefield...

Spoiler

[close]
Many thanks for your feedback

« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 06:34:04 AM by Eternity »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Smart GUI updates for triple screen rendering
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 09:12:33 AM »

Hi - nice setup you've got there!

I'll... think about this. It does seem like a novelty way to play the game than anything specifically useful, doesn't it? It makes sense for games like ED, where (I'm assuming) you get a wider field of view with 3 monitors. For a top-down game, this just further skews the visible playing field in favor of seeing more width, which isn't necessarily good, particularly given that the vertical (which is already smaller!) seems more important. Given that, I can't really see dedicating much time to trying to get that sorted out, especially since that'd require me to come up with a similar setup to work on.

Eternity

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 11:02:37 AM »

Hi ALex,

You're totally right it does not add any value to have 3 screens. This is just something once you ve got then, plying in fullscreen is more immersive than playing in windows mode on one screen and the two others with windows desktop in the background... by the way is it possible to setup borderless option somewhere because otherwise I could not see buttons on the screen bottom

Talking about "new" way of playing top down game like Starsector... I remember total annihilation 2 (supreme commander) which brings option once you've got 2 screens to have map view on the second one and battle view on the first one... and the third one could be something about the detail status of the current selected ship :-)

Anyway, I really understand that you should have plenty of new features in the list queue more usefull than this optional one ;-)

Yes for a game like ED the experience is completly enhanced :-) it sounds like a full size cockpit according the screen size...

And once again many thanks for your awesome game !!!

« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 12:18:00 PM by Eternity »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 11:15:55 AM »

by the way is it possible to setup borderless option somewhere because otherwise I could not see buttons on the screen bottom

If you open up data/config/settings.json, you can set undecoratedWindow to true to do that.

You're totally right it does not add any value to have 3 screens. This is just something once you ve got then, plying in fullscreen is more immersive than playing in windows mode on one screen and the two others with windows desktop in the background...

Yeah, I get what you're saying there. I usually end up turning my second monitor off when using that sort of setup.

I remember total annihilation 2 (supreme commander) which brings option once you've got 2 screens to have map view on the second one and battle view on the first one... and the third one could be something about the detail status of the current selected ship :-)

Right, I think someone's brought this up before, because it sounds familiar :) At that point, though, it's really re-engineering the game to do something that's of questionable overall benefit. It does sound neat, but like you say, pretty much anything else has higher priority!