Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Starsector will not start.  (Read 8646 times)

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
Re: Starsector will not start.
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2015, 02:43:57 PM »

Yeah, just merge this into the ShaderLib thread.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2015, 11:23:46 PM »

heeeeeeellllp meeee....  :'(

Fresh install of Windows 8.1 on a new computer. Everything is brand spanking new... haven't touched any of the Starsector files (yet) and cannot get it to even display the launcher.

Some preliminary googling would seem to indicate that this is an issue of not having enough RAM, except I have 8GB of it, 64-bit Windows, and the RAM sticks were cannibalized from my old desktop (so I know they are in working order... also other relatively intensive games work fine). There are no environment variables currently set up to do with Java. Already tried reinstalling Starsector.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2015, 11:31:21 PM »

Using 64-bit java might help. Yeah, you only need 1 gig of ram, but it needs to be - iirc - within the first 3 or 4 gigs of the ram you have. So, if for some reason there isn't a contiguous 1 gig block there, it'll fail to start, even if the top 4 gigs you have are all free.

It's kind of hard to imagine this being the case for a fresh install of the OS, though - would expect this to be an issue on something with a lot of bloatware.

I'm guessing you've also tried rebooting?

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 12:13:48 AM »

Rebooting didn't work. Pointing Starsector at the system version of Java did. For the record, it fails to start with the included JRE even when the starting RAM use was 1.4 GB out of 8GB. This was a clean install of everything on brand-new hardware/OS.

I have a request- can future versions of Starsector not include a JRE? The included JRE seems to cause major issues on nearly every Linux install, and now medium to high-end Windows machines as well (the fix is always pointing starsector.bat/starsector.sh at the system's default version of Java).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 10:50:38 AM »

Rebooting didn't work. Pointing Starsector at the system version of Java did. For the record, it fails to start with the included JRE even when the starting RAM use was 1.4 GB out of 8GB. This was a clean install of everything on brand-new hardware/OS.

As I mentioned, it's really more like 1.4 GB out of 3 or 4, not 8. I'm really surprised, though. How can a clean install of windows 8.1 foul up 4 gigs of memory? A rhetorical question, I suppose, since apparently it can.

I have a request- can future versions of Starsector not include a JRE? The included JRE seems to cause major issues on nearly every Linux install, and now medium to high-end Windows machines as well (the fix is always pointing starsector.bat/starsector.sh at the system's default version of Java).

I don't think that'd be a good idea. It works out of the box in something like 99% of the cases, if not better. Whatever the actual install rate of Java is, it's going to be a lot lower than that, so it'd be a support nightmare not to include it.

If anything, I suspect I'll eventually need to also ship it with a 64-bit version, but holding off on that just due to the considerable hassle it'd be release-wise to provide both versions.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 01:17:37 PM »

I would like to see along with the eventual launcher rewrite a little tickbox to swap between 32 and 64 bit Java that are both included with the game, and a place to type in the allocated memory. Would make the entire thing much more noob friendly, and even more convenient for veterans :)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 01:21:27 PM by MesoTroniK »

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 01:49:12 PM »

I would like to see along with the eventual launcher rewrite a little tickbox to swap between 32 and 64 bit Java that are both included with the game, and a place to type in the allocated memory. Would make the entire thing much more noob friendly, and even more convenient for veterans :)

+1 to this. I have 16GB of RAM, Being default to use just 1 is painstaking ;)
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Exelum

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2015, 03:19:09 PM »

Please help! Starsector won't start.
I have 8Gb ram and 7.1Gb of them free after restart. Win 8.1 x64 GPU drivers up to date. Java x64 installed.

And after use this http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8726
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 03:42:40 PM by Exelum »

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2015, 03:35:00 PM »

"java", not "..java"

Exelum

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2015, 03:54:46 PM »

Thanks! But I fix it whith alternative A.

wolfofmibu66

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2015, 11:18:16 AM »

So I updated following a long hiatus, installed my typical mods, and now I'm getting a JSON error that is preventing the game from running, which I think deals with the core starsector game. The popup i get is as follows

And having tried to run the program from the cmd prompt with the .bat file, I get the same error, plus this

Does anyone have any advice for me perchance?

EDIT: Scratch that, futzing with which mods are active appears to have ID'd the problem, disregard.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 11:26:55 AM by wolfofmibu66 »
Pages: 1 [2]