Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Heavy Missile Mount  (Read 15477 times)

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Heavy Missile Mount
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2015, 11:21:01 AM »

I'd be inclined toward basically a bigger version of BRDY's Gonodactylus-class's Hammerclaw missile. A big metal spike that steers like a tall Kerbal rocket with no control surfaces or inertia systems but deals rather massive kinetic damage and imparts a push hitting something with its shield down.
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

Steven Shi

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2015, 07:43:24 PM »

Late to the discussion.

For missile ideas, just look at SOTS 2's torpedo/missile tech tree. Visually or mechanically, you have to give credit to the people at Kerberos for creating some really unique weapons.

i. A Kinetic Kill missile to break through shields quickly instead of using close ranged sabot or slow nukes.
ii. A bomb pumped laser warhead bypassing the point defense.
iii. A slow moving energy torpedo that becomes weaker after being hit by PDs but can act as a PD magnet for other missiles.
iv. An AOE damage-over-time corrosive cloud warhead. Big dmg but potentially friendly fire dmg.
v. Multi-purpose launch vehicle - deposit mines, cry baby, jammers or other utility warheads from a distance.
vi. Phased/cloaked skipper missiles a la that Wing Commander movie.
vii. EMP missiles just to use SS's own mechanics.
viii. Magnetically charged missiles that's strong against the more effective laser PDs but weak against kinetic PDs. Or vice versa. This can be a ship module that just adds additional stats to existing missiles launchers.

You definitely don't need to use a 'scale up small/medium mount' philosophy to make large missile mounts interesting. Missile are suppose to be more VERSATILE in combat after all.   

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2015, 12:27:11 AM »

Its funny because mods have some pretty cool large missile mounts, like the trebuchet launcher which is probably hella OP.

What are the best missile ships? For example I really like having a Conquest capital ship around because it has 2 large missile and 2 medium missile mounts which amounts to a pleasing amount of missile spam. It seems any small ships with medium universal mounts I stick missiles in there and try to get some good missile spam going.

Really I just like having tons of missiles fly around while I pew pew in a sunder or karkino

In vanilla, you are pretty much stuck with Vigilances.  Which is fine, since medium missile mounts are probably all you want in vanilla.  Some people might mention the Doom or Venture, but they are no where near cost effective and only even decent for about 5 seconds.

Mods, I recommend the Junk Pirates' Hammer or the Interstellar Imperium's Decurion at the frigate level.  The Decurion is a little more survivable, but costs twice as much logistics and doesn't have the fast missile racks.

The Citadel Monolith is my favorite Capital level missile ship, with 3 large and 7 medium universal slots, and umpteen million small fixed point defense slots, you can load it with whichever missiles you want and it doubles as a great fleet support ship.  It's not nearly as efficient, but it's a lot hardier than the frigates.

There aren't really any good destroyer/cruiser choices AFAIK.  The cruisers are generally less efficient in terms of slots-per-deployment-cost than the monolith, so you might as well have the tougher and more all-around useful capital.  There are very few destroyers with large slots even in the mods, and they can't compete with the frigate swarm's medium slot firepower.  None of them that I know of would make a good missile ship.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2015, 09:47:26 AM »

There aren't really any good destroyer/cruiser choices AFAIK.  The cruisers are generally less efficient in terms of slots-per-deployment-cost than the monolith, so you might as well have the tougher and more all-around useful capital.  There are very few destroyers with large slots even in the mods, and they can't compete with the frigate swarm's medium slot firepower.  None of them that I know of would make a good missile ship.
The archer in SS+ is my go to missile ship. It has FMR AND 3 med missile mounts! All on a nice little destroyer
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2015, 12:31:04 PM »

Soon to be no FMR, but still very effective.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2015, 12:45:32 PM »

Yeah don't remind me...
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Euqocelbbog

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2015, 10:41:59 PM »

Might I ask what ability it will be replaced with? I also really like the Archer but it definitely gets pretty crazy with 3 medium missiles and FMR.

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2015, 04:50:24 AM »

There aren't really any good destroyer/cruiser choices AFAIK.  The cruisers are generally less efficient in terms of slots-per-deployment-cost than the monolith, so you might as well have the tougher and more all-around useful capital.  There are very few destroyers with large slots even in the mods, and they can't compete with the frigate swarm's medium slot firepower.  None of them that I know of would make a good missile ship.
The archer in SS+ is my go to missile ship. It has FMR AND 3 med missile mounts! All on a nice little destroyer

Slightly better than the Vigilance's unless you need frigate speed, but worse than Hammers and Decurians, both of which have 2 medium slots for 5 deployment, 1-2 logistics.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 04:55:46 AM by sotanaht »

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2015, 08:07:09 AM »

Decurions are getting the slots changed, because the intention wasn't to allow missile spam.

Hammers are straight-up OP.

Unreal_One

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2015, 10:57:20 AM »

What I'd like to see from heavy missile mounts is some kind of drone catapult. Maybe it launches a half dozen point defense units that orbit the mother ship, or it could launch a terminator that seeks out enemy ships until it runs out of power. Basically, the ability to turn a ship into a CAM ship. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAM_ship)
Pages: 1 2 [3]